what weights and reps to use for weight loss on a woman

Options
I'm trying to lose about 75 more pounds (down 23) and for the last 3 weeks I've hit a plateau. I've been eating always a little below my calories, and eating most of my exercise calories. I think the problem is I have only been doing cardio (eliptical and treadmill) and I need to start strength training. My question is: Do I use light weights and do lots of reps, or heavy weights and do less reps?? I've heard many different things so I'm hoping to get some feedback here. I don't want big muscles, just weight loss and toning. Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The weight should be heavy relative to the reps. What you can lift for five reps will be more than what you can lift for eight... so lift heavy regardless of rep count.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Not a fitness or health pro, so grain of salt ... but my rec from all I've been reading is to focus on low reps/high weight (as heavy as you can lift for 8 reps is the guideline). Going high reps/low weight is good to mix in as well, to keep the muscles guessing and work different fibers. (One works strength, the other works endurance.)

I know some have been successful doing a mix - doing maybe 5 sets of an exercise, starting with low weight/high rep, and then increasing the weight/decreasing the reps each set.
  • always4vin
    Options
    Tami, the fitness people from the gym always say less weight and more reps. :)
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of heavy weight lifting. But, don't assume that it is going to jump-start your weight loss. Since I've been lifting, my weight loss has slowed a bit -- I'm guessing due to water retention. BUT, the results in terms of body composition are still there -- I'm getting smaller, but my weight isn't going down that much. Just saying....definitely start strength training -- there are TONS of benefits -- but you might have to rely less on the scale.

My advice for lifting is heavy for 8 reps. You might want to follow a program as opposed to just picking up some weights -- if it's not something you are used to, you want to make sure you aren't overworking some muscle groups and underworking others. I highly recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, I'm following that program now and love it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please don't be that woman who lifts the 3 lbs pink dumbells some rediculous amount of reps. Lift heavy, build muscle, and control your weight through what you put in your mouth and through cardio.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with heavy weights, fewer reps for the most part. Although my trainer will sometimes have me do 3 sets of a machine like that lat pulldown something like this:

15 reps - 60 pounds
    10 reps - 70 pounds
    5 reps - 80 pounds

At least I think that is what he is doing, I probably should pay more attention, lol :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's not really the reps and weight, it's more about how hard you work.

If you use 1lb dumbells and rep them for 15, that's not much better than 5lb dumbells for 8(ie.. for flat bench presses). You're not working very hard either way.

Whatever the rep/weight count, it should be to failure or almost to failure.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to lift heavy with lower reps. Maybe something on the order of 3-5 sets of 5 reps. Start with light weight and then keep adding each workout. Check out this site or the web for a beginners program. Most of these will include full body combination lifts like squats, deadlifts, press ,bench etc. Don't worry so much about the scale. Go by how your clothes fit or a tape. I know there is before/after pics on here of someone who weighs more but looks a lot better just because she added muscle and reduced bodyfat.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Tami, the fitness people from the gym always say less weight and more reps. :)

They're using outdated advice. Most advice now is to lift more weight and less reps, even for women.

To the OP, once you figure out how many reps are right for you, you should life so that last rep should be a bit of a struggle, but attainable. I suggest using a descending rep count, so start your first set with the highest number of reps, and have your last set be the lowest.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    depends what exercises ur planing on...if its using barbells use no weight to start just so u can find the right form and add weights from there little by little until u find a challenging weight. add on weigh every week or so to keep ya body bettering itself. same really for exercises using dumbells. start light, find the correct form then up your weights :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you cant get big muscles from just casual lifting. and all toning is, is losing fat to show muscle definition.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You don't get big muscles from lifting weights unless you're also eating at a (large) calorie surplus consistently, and even then, as a female it's very difficult to gain muscle mass. You'd need supplements I'm sure, and a lot of extra protein from what other women have told me who are actually trying to build muscle. You're better off doing less reps with more weight. Best of luck! :smile:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

If you use 1lb dumbells and rep them for 15, that's not much better than 5lb dumbells for 8(ie.. for flat bench presses). You're not working very hard either way.

I agree with this. I'm not sure if it matters if you get exactly 13 reps, or 10 reps, or 5.. I think you should be lifting consistently and lifting to failure. Today I only got to 8 reps before I couldn't lift anymore.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I'm not sure if it matters if you get exactly 13 reps, or 10 reps, or 5.. I think you should be lifting consistently and lifting to failure. Today I only got to 8 reps before I couldn't lift anymore.

And this! :heart:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please don't be that woman who lifts the 3 lbs pink dumbells some rediculous amount of reps. Lift heavy, build muscle, and control your weight through what you put in your mouth and through cardio.

Fair enough, though some of us do have to start at 3lbs and build our way up!
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    if you wanna strip fat then lift the heaviest weight you can until you cant lift no more :)

if you dont lift as heavy as you can, your not asking your muscles to change therefore doing nothing!
  • garyl7593
    Options
    I work with a 6 exercise circuit.....and do three sets but the key for me is to keep the heart rate up as I do each circuit..I would recommend heavyish weights that you can perform 8 -10 reps with and on the last circuit up the weights a bit and do till failure.That's what works for me,I'm no expert but worked a great PT here in UK and this was what he taught me to train like.Defo a fat burner.
  • frillygurl
    Options
    There are heaps of different opinions regarding weight lifting but it really does depend on what result you want. I started out with the same goal as you....tone up etc but i've turned more to building alot of muscle. To sart with i was afraid to lift heavy weights as i thought i's turn 'big' but rest assured us 'girls' can't get bulging bisceps like you see on hottie guys.lol. in the end, it is really what you feel comfortable with and what gets you the results you want!! although i suggest heavy weights..they are good :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try a BodyPump class (my favourite!)
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The whole "low weight, high reps" thing is kind of garbage. People claim it will "sculpt" your muscles but you can't sculpt what you barely have, and even then you still can't because the shape of your muscles is controlled by your DNA, not your workout. Go high weight, low reps. When you get to the point that your arms are sort of shaking on the last (8th to 10th) rep, you know you're using the right weight. As soon as that starts to get easy, add a few pounds.