URGENT Help! Eating out dilema!!!

Options
Typical! Day 2 of using MFP and I've been invited out for dinner tonight to a posh pub. I've looked at their menu online and there is absolutely NOTHING healthy to eat that I can see. I've attached the menu link so if anyone could please recommend what I should have I would be utterly grateful. This is the first time I've felt really positive about doing something about my weight. I have tried and failed so many times before. I have an awful lot to lose (around 6/7 stone). Thanks everyone.

http://www.theoldbullshead.co.uk/eat_drink_with_us/food_menu/

Replies

• michaeltoye
    Options
    to eat the minimum, I'd steer clear of cheese, sauces and batter. where I don't know the calorie count, I would not have meat or pizza either.

I would go for scallops and the grilled fish for main. fill up on vegetables. limit your alcohol.
  • mgoulsbra
    mgoulsbra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd go for the Penne Putanessca or the Sea Bass Fillets. I'd try not to stress over it too much though - jsut make sure you log it, and move on. My view is that you have to keep things realistic so that you can follow it long term, rather than a short term diet and back to eating the same way as before. So, if eating out is something that will happen, just factor it in. Do some exercise to get some more calories if you have the time too.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's just one night. Make the best choices you can, and move on. If you're seriously stressed, have a salad before you go, and then cut the meal in half and box the other half immediately before you eat.
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    I avoid desserts too and just have known calorie amounts of sweet stuff when i get home.

If everyone has a dessert, go for a skinny cappuccino :)

I went to TGI Fridays last saturday and looked up the chocolate cake dessert my kids and partner ate - 700+ calories!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of choices:
    - scallops or soup might be good, see what the special is
    - pear salad - leave off the gorgonzola, get the pesto on the side
    - mackerel salad - ask for dressing on the side
    - steak - no chips or butter, side salad with dressing on the side
    - spit chicken, get salad instead of chips.

Enjoy!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My choice would be
    Seabass Fillets, Sweet Potato & Aubergine Tagine, Chickpeas and Olives 17.95

Or fillet steak with salad. You can swap chips for new potatoes.

It has been my experience that if you go to any pub and ask for grilled chicken breast with vegetables, even if its not on the menu they will be accomodating. My mother in law hardly ever eats stuff from a menu without changing it somehow. Just ask.
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't hesitate to order just a small amount from some of the starters and ask the waitstaff to bring it with dinner. For instance, the Mediterranean Messe could be good, if it appeals to you. Or a salad, provided they actually have a healthy one.

The sea bass looks reasonable. Not sure how it is in the UK, but in the US, you can ask that vegetables be substituted for things like mashed potatoes.

Also, limit the number of courses you are on. When you look at the dessert, tell yourself you can have it tomorrow. (Weird, but it works)
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It is challenging to navigate when you are just getting started. But part of this being a life time change is learning how to manage - you will hopefully always be invited out to eat!. I always begin by cutting my meal into a half portion and eating slowly - you can always take it home. My biggest hurdle is not feeling deprived. Also this time I have decided not to tell a lot of people in the beginning. I don't want other people focused on what I'm eating. You will do great! Have a wonderful time :)
  • 1969San
    1969San Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I very much appreciate it.
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would fit in extra exercise today (a 20 minute walk), cut down on calories for my other meals (have a salad for lunch instead of a sandwich, cut my snacks in half, etc), and make sure that I eat smaller portions at dinner. And pick something I like that is still in line with my diet plan. For example, I am making sure to eat more protein than I previously did. I would pick something off the menu that has a lot of protein. And I would avoid more than a beer or a glass of wine.
  • 1969San
    1969San Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I suppose I did go slightly into panic mode! Its kind of where I've failed before. I'm a typical "all or nothing" person, so if I think that I've eaten something that maybe I shouldn't my brain just tells me I've failed and I might as well eat everything in sight. It's a personality trait that I need to get to grips with :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You could try calling ahead and asking if they could accomodate a meal for you. Maybe they would be willing to grill a piece of fish or meat for you, steam some veggies, etc. Many places are willing to accomodate if you call ahead and explain, rather than waiting until you are there eating.
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    JUST HAVE WHAT YOU LIKE. I DO

as long as it's not regular then dont worry about it
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    omg, yum.

I would order the Mediterranean Mezze as an entree. It's a good mix of carbs, protein, and veg.

The spiced pear salad also sounds good, if you're advised that the Mezze would be too small on its own. If you do order the salad, I'd get the dressing on the side and do that "dip the tines of your fork" thing before each bite. Also, you can box up extras if it ends up being huge.

Avoid anything crispy, battered, cakey, fried, etc. I'd also try to go for more veg and less carb.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I suppose I did go slightly into panic mode! Its kind of where I've failed before. I'm a typical "all or nothing" person, so if I think that I've eaten something that maybe I shouldn't my brain just tells me I've failed and I might as well eat everything in sight. It's a personality trait that I need to get to grips with :)

I think a lot of us understand this. :) Just remember that this is a process, not a finish line. You can't fail. You can make fast progress, and you can slow your progress, but there's no "end point." No matter what you do, you can't fail at this. Even if you give up completely, there's always an opportunity to try again, so there is no failing. Especially not over just one meal. :)
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    I think the biggest thing I learned about eating out while dieting is that restaurants can be flexible and you shouldn't be afraid to ask!! Ask for something grilled instead of fried, skip sauces, switch sauces, or get something on the side. The other best piece of advice is to make a sensible choice when ordering and then eat half of the portion. You can even have them box it up for you as soon as they bring the meal if you're not sure you'll have the willpower to stop after half (obviously speaking from experience on that one!) Most importantly, you are in control of your weight and the choices you make--YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a typical "all or nothing" person, so if I think that I've eaten something that maybe I shouldn't my brain just tells me I've failed and I might as well eat everything in sight.

I'm also like this. At first I would say, "Tomorrow is another day," but that still gave me carte blanche for the rest of the night. Now I say, "Right now is another second" and that helps a bit.

Also, it may help you to choose tonight's dinner now - and log it. Then you can adjust for the rest of the day and decide if that particular dish is truly what you want.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    My advice is to just limit calories early in the day, fill up on water before hand and only eat half of the food you get. But here's the important thing... have FUN! Everyone needs a splurge day once in a while... just make this your splurge for the week/month and enjoy yourself!

Good luck!
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Remember that when eating out a menu is simply a LIST OF INGREDIENTS. Whatever the chef has on that menu, s/he can arrange in whatever fashion you want. Find one of the salads that you like and have the chef add the sea bass filet to it or have them grill the haddock without the batter. Even the roasted lamb is a good choice if it's infrequent. The menu says that the haddock is freshly battered, which means it needn't be battered at all. You're the customer. Have what you want.

I agree with some of the other responders, you've plenty of choices there. As far as healthy goes, the Mediterranean Mezze is great. The downside is that the hummus, taramasalata and tzatziki are calorie dense. The first two have a good amount of olive oil and the last is a yogurt base. But, in moderation, why not enjoy them (especially served with the roasted vegetables)? You can add one of the better protein choices to that, too (like the fish)

That pear salad is perfect and I know that tomato pesto sauce. It's a Sicilain recipe and it's wonderful but as the other responder wrote, have it on the side because it, too is calorie-dense with oive oil and probably parmesan cheese. If they're true to the Siclian recipe, it will also have finely chpped almonds. As for the gorgonzola cheese, if you like it, have it and enjoy it. A Mediterranian restaurant I frequent serves a very similar version and the amount of cheese on the salad is just enough for flavor.

Enjoy your evening.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Typical! Day 2 of using MFP and I've been invited out for dinner tonight to a posh pub. I've looked at their menu online and there is absolutely NOTHING healthy to eat that I can see. I've attached the menu link so if anyone could please recommend what I should have I would be utterly grateful. This is the first time I've felt really positive about doing something about my weight. I have tried and failed so many times before. I have an awful lot to lose (around 6/7 stone). Thanks everyone.

http://www.theoldbullshead.co.uk/eat_drink_with_us/food_menu/

I wish I could help. I live in NY. There is nothing there I would eat, I am sure you will make the right decision.