3lbs in 1 day???

Options
So, I got on the scale this morning and was both excited and a little frightened to see that I'd dropped 3 lbs in one day?!

Is this even possible???

I just got off my time of the month two days ago, and I didn't eat TOO badly yesterday....but still.... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and happy, but just a little more than confused.

Edit: I weigh myself the same time every morning before I've had anything to eat or drink. Also, I drank a TON of water yesterday.

Replies

• brandychick
    brandychick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW! Drank enough water yesterday? It is great but a little strange...I would not go anywhere near the scales tomorrow if that was me!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is possible but know it isn't fat. It is mostly water weight. Don't be discouraged if a few lbs comes back. Drink plenty of water so your body doesn't end of storing it. Keep it up!
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options
    WOW! Drank enough water yesterday? It is great but a little strange...I would not go anywhere near the scales tomorrow if that was me!

I drank a TON of water yesterday. But I always weigh myself the same time every morning before I've had ANYTHING to eat or drink. Haha, I'm scared if I step on the scale tomorrow I'll be up like 5 pounds. :laugh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So, I got on the scale this morning and was both excited and a little frightened to see that I'd dropped 3 lbs in one day?!

Is this even possible???

I just got off my time of the month two days ago, and I didn't eat TOO badly yesterday....but still.... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and happy, but just a little more than confused.

It is a natural part of your monthly cycle. It has probably happened like this since months before your first period. You just didn't notice.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Water weight. That's why it is important to drink lotsof it around girl time to flush out the excess. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You can definitely go up and down.. it even has to do with the size of your BM's, and how much water you retain/shed. I do weigh myself every day, but sometimes when that number pops up, I roll my eyes and just go about my day. :P
  • bells4her
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs (up or down) in a day, depending on your water intake, salt intake, hormones, whether you've had a bowel movement since the last time you weighed, and a number of other factors. That's why you always hear the recommendation to only weigh yourself 1x/week, the same day, at the same time of day. That way you'll get a better idea of the direction your weight is ACTUALLY moving (up or down or staying the same).
  • Somemass
    Options
    Also, if you drink a lot of water (much more than usual) the day before, your body will usually flush more than you ingested as it tries to balance levels out. You could have eaten something that acted as a diuretic.

I average around 225Lbs, but depending on how active I am on a given day, what I've eaten, and what I drink I can easily add or drop 6-8 pounds within 24 hours.
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options
    Also, if you drink a lot of water (much more than usual) the day before, your body will usually flush more than you ingested as it tries to balance levels out. You could have eaten something that acted as a diuretic.

I average around 225Lbs, but depending on how active I am on a given day, what I've eaten, and what I drink I can easily add or drop 6-8 pounds within 24 hours.

I didn't realize you could fluctuate that much in 24 hours!