Going over on protein....

Options
Is going over on your daily protein a bad thing? I am usually over by at least 3-4 points, but sometimes as much as 40-50 points. I eat a lot of chicken breast, 98% fat free turkey, and egg whites. If anyone could advise me on this I would appreciate it!!! Thanks :)

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    no its a good thing....! I usually get around 100-150 on protein.... of course I supplement with whey protein and I lift....
  • jenbrooks08
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info Kristy!
  • wittyusername
    Options
    i was also wondering this...

I know protein is good for people who are trying to build muscle but how about us that are trying to lose fat? is it still a good thing?
  • jenbrooks08
    Options
    Nicky-Tha'ts exactly what i was wondering about too!!!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    MFP default protein requirements are low. Eat your protein kids.......

If you don't feed your body enough protein you will likely LOOSE MUSCLE at a faster rate on a restricted calorie diet.

The body building community generally recommend 1g/lb per day. You may not need that much but I would shoot for at least half that.

Most people find protein and fat are more satiating than carbs. As much as I love my carbs, I continue to dial them down and find I'm less hungry.
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    This is SO funny because I was just about to post this exact same question. I'm over my protein by a LOT every day. It's always lean and healthy protein. Now I'll read up on the replies here! Thanks for being one step ahead.
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the settings so MFP will not read it as going over your goals....go to My Home, then My Goals....I believe somewhere there you can adjust the settings. (haven't done it in a while so can't remember all the specific steps). I adjusted mine so I have mostly protein in my diet, and fewer carbs and fat.
  • twinsmake3
    Options
    Just tried it...go to "home" then "goals" click "change goals" then "custom" and you can change the percentage of protein/carb/fat you want.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Be careful not to take in too much as it can lead to kidney problems. Especially animal protein.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Is going over on your daily protein a bad thing? I am usually over by at least 3-4 points, but sometimes as much as 40-50 points. I eat a lot of chicken breast, 98% fat free turkey, and egg whites. If anyone could advise me on this I would appreciate it!!! Thanks :)

This is discussed million of times before here I guess.

There is a saying... excess of anything is bad... protein is good but protein taken over a certain amount for a long time can backfire as well. This can include stone problem and extra calories leading to fat.

Protein intake also depends on many factors like metabolism/goal etc.
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    so then how much is too much?
  • twinsmake3
    Options
    This is my question as well!
  • lazyday101
    lazyday101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find it hard to meet my protein targets, but I am trying to focus more on it. My Iron intake is very low, any suggestions?
  • NikkiRoxx
    NikkiRoxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Around 100 grams per day is actually right on track. If you have too much protein you're body won't be able to process it.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They only issue I have ever had with protein is that it tends to back me up... but that's only if it's fatty like cheese... otherwise as long as you balance it with veggies and fiber shouldn't be a bad thing.
  • BobbyMorgan
    Options

I know protein is good for people who are trying to build muscle but how about us that are trying to lose fat? is it still a good thing?

Muscle Burns Fat...eat your protien......(Or so I am learning :) )
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay under in saturated fats, it is doubtful you can get too much protein.

It is my understanding that as long as you do not already have kidney problems, any excess protein that your body can not handle is evacuated via urination, this is why we can have a strong smelling urine sometimes.

My proteins are set at 45, which is WAY too low for me. I try to get between 80 and 100 per day.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you are still using the MFP defaults, those are too low to begin with.

I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and easily get 100-150g protein a day.
  • TrishFowler
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It has really helped me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

yes it is very important while in a caloric deficit. the big reason for this is that while in a deficit you tend to lose fat and muscle, a higher protein diet will help you retain more of your lean muscle while dieting.

If you want to increase your settings for protein go to goals > change goals > custom, MFP defaults to 15% protein, I would suggest increasing it to the range of 20-30% ( I would be more inclined to suggest 25-30, but 20% is adequate for most people).