Hamstring Injury?

Options
Sooo... I have been training for a half marathon in April. Two weeks ago, I went out for my short weekly run (3.65 miles). No biggie. Towards the end of the run, I guess I hit my "second wind," and felt amazing! I sprinted the rest of the way home and felt light as a feather. Later that evening, I noticed the back of my left leg (back of knee and 6 or so inches up) was a little stiff and sore. The next day, I could barely walk it was so painful!

I took three full days off, keeping my leg iced and rested. After feeling no pain or stiffness, I went for a short 2 mile run and was fine. Then on the weekend I went for my long run (5 miles) and about 2 miles in, I felt what I guess is my hamstring get tight and painful. I took frequent stretch breaks and managed to get through the workout. Since then, everytime I run more than 1.5 miles, I feel it get tight and painful! Luckily, the training plan called for a scaled back long run this weekend, so no biggie. But this coming weekend is 6 miles! I'm worried I'm going to end up hobbling half of the way!

Has anyone else experienced an injury like this? I've pulled muscles before, but I've never had it last two weeks like this! I don't think I tore it, since I didn't feel immediate debilitating pain when I was sprinting. I have had a ton of issues with my left leg though. First it was runner's knee, then mild IT band issues, and now this. What the heck is going on??? What do I do??? I don't want to miss training! Rest and taking it easy doesn't seem to help.

Edited to add: I always stretch after my runs, and I always take the time to warm up and cool down properly.

Replies

• wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    Bump?
  • magarner1029
    magarner1029 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did you ever figure out what it was - I am going through a very similar thing right now - onset of injury was about 2 hours after a run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hamstring injuries can be tricky, was there any swelling or bruising when the injury first manifested itself?

If it's already been 2 weeks I'd be seeing a dr in a sports medicine clinic or sports therapist (most GPs are clueless with running injuries). If it was a just a minor stretched hamstring you should be back in action already.

I can sympathize about the IT band issues - I missed 6 weeks of running last fall and it wasn't until I saw a massage therapist that i was able to start running again.