Liquid Calories-TOTALLY CONFUSED (as usual)

Options
Liquid calories are considered sooo dangerous. Is this because most people don't account for them in their daily caloric intake, so most likely you are consuming a lot more calories than you think because people just don't think to add in their liquid calories?
Because I'll admit, I drink coke and sweetened coffee, and juice. But I ALWAYS count the calories in them, and include them in my daily intake. When I say I consumed 1300 calories, I mean it. Soda and all. So I was just wondering.....if you always count your liquid calories and you don't just mindlessly consume calories in your drinks....then really, liquid calories aren't any worse for you than any other junk food right? I mean, why does everyone say "Oh just cut out your liquid calories. Just drink water." Well if I did that.....I'd be consuming like, 800 calories a day. Because I drink orange juice, tea, soda...and that adds up to about 400 calories a day.

So are liquid calories ACTUALLY somehow worse than food calories? Or are they only bad if you forget to track them.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I would rather EAT 1400 calories a day rather than drink 700 calories and eat 700 calories.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I think people (and myself included) feel like eating your calories is better than drinking. I would much rather have 300 calories from fruits and veggies than a coke. There is no nutritional value to coke. It's just a bunch of sugar.

With that being said, every once in a while isn't going to kill someone.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    well i think te liquid cals that are bad for you are the ones that have no nutritional benefit. such as soda.
  • ronanoo
    ronanoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I would rather EAT 1400 calories a day rather than drink 700 calories and eat 700 calories.

With all due respect madam i question the quality of milkshake/malt you've had in your life :P
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

With all due respect madam i question the quality of milkshake/malt you've had in your life :P

Ha! Point taken. :laugh:
  • krazykatcg
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! And yes, I realize 200 calories of coke does absolutely NOTHING for you nutritionally, but I still will have one about 3 times a week. But mainly my liquid calories comes from juice and Starbucks coffee. It keeps me full and I don't snack as much-and I also get my sweet tooth fix. I want to continue drinking my calories. lol. But then I got concerned thinking that maybe they are just worse for you somehow than food calories. Even if they are technically the same caloric value.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience... Drinking calories is a big part of how I gained weight. I have a small appetite and am lucky not to have any food addictions. I was under weight and started drinking lots of milk to settle my stomach after I started taking arthritis meds. I slowly put on the weight because the arthritis slowed my activity level down and the milk increased my calories beyond what I was burning. I ignored the small gain for many years and it just kept accumulating. But if you are recording the calories you drink and staying in a deficit it shouldn't hurt your weight loss. Some people feel that sugar slows weight loss and others will say that as long as you are below your calories it doesn't matter. I don't have a sweet tooth so most of my sugar comes from fruit so I can't really say how sugar effects my loss. Just make sure you are getting enough of all the nutrients or add a supplement for any that are consistently low. And if you get hungry...substitute the calories you drink with something more filling.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The reason some may say this is because you actually get to eat more food. Feel fuller because of real food with protein and fiber, and drinking water helps keep you full like a freebie. :)

I prefer to eat my calories, but, theoretically speaking if you prefer to consume 1200 calories 400 of which are liquid... More power to you! As long as you are meeting your nutritional goals who cares?
  • krazykatcg
    Options
    Thank y'all! It's always helpful to come here to ask questions. lol. I think I will just continue what I'm doing. I don't see how liquid calories are just inherently worse. I will keep tracking them and watching my intake.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i can't live without my morning juice. I only give myself a coke once or twice a week to "reward" myself for the hard efforts ive done the week before.