TYRING TO LIKE FISH--IDEAS???

Options
I NEED HELP FOR FISH!!
I recently had a heart attack and a need to incorporate fish into my diet but not a fish eater. I hate messing with bones and need to keep the fishy smell to a minimum any delicious ideas for me to try--willing to try anything.

Replies

• Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like to fry seabass in coconut oil, with chilli and garlic and bit of lime juice on top!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I NEED HELP FOR FISH!!
    I recently had a heart attack and a need to incorporate fish into my diet but not a fish eater. I hate messing with bones and need to keep the fishy smell to a minimum any delicious ideas for me to try--willing to try anything.

Well... first things first - you need to be adamant on asking them "when was this delivered/received?" - the fresher the better.

If you SMELL the seafood, then the seafood is NOT fresh... Thats going to eliminate the 'fishy' issues you have.

You dont have to deal with bones - BUT, you will pay a much higher price for the convenience of having the fish cleaned.

Not all seafood has bones: scallops, clams, shrimp, mussels.....

Kansas City has a fish-market/restaurant that you could easily walk in and talk with their staff who run the market portion of the business... ask for a seasoned rep or a manager to help educate you on seafood-in general... http://www.madjacksfreshfish.net/

As far as tasty recipes.... you will need to get specific on the 'likes' side of things because I could suggest tons of recipes but they may either be too complicated for you, have too many ingredients, or worse - may not be available for a reasonable price where you reside....
  • fireballaaa
    fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    well I hate fish too but my husband last night had 4 large bass given to him and he gets mad if i dont eat fish so i put a piece in some alumuim foil and got some no salt spices mrs dash (spicy kind) and sprinkled heavly on it and baked it for about 30 minutes on 350 turned out wonderful. i could eat it and not make a face. I will be eating this again tonight:bigsmile:
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Marination mix: yogurt+spices to taste+garlic paste (1 tsp)

Keep the mixture for 20-30 minutes.

Steam in a closed pan or fry.

You will love it. The yogurt marination is an Indian recipe.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Ok I dislike most fish too...same reasons...but I got this big bag of Parmesan Crusted Tilapia from Sams Club...(probably at most grocery stores but I haven't looked)...it's Treasures from the Sea brand I think...anyway, it is soooo good. Not fishy, no bones, and quite flavorful. One large piece is only 220 calories if you bake it!
  • OPC2011
    OPC2011 Posts: 17
    Options
    Baked Flounder with a tiny squirt of lemon juice is really good, and I hate fish.
  • kdruga
    kdruga Posts: 35
    Options
    I love salmon grilled and topped with some barbecue sauce. If cooked well, it almost tastes like you're eating ribs!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    nobody really needs to eat food they don't like.

that said, wild caught white flaky fish is usually pretty "easy" to like....
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...I do not like "fishy" or "lake water" tasty fish. I like whatever kind of fish they use for fish stick. I have eaten Gorton's Cajuned Blackened Fish Fillet and liked it but I think it is the same kind of fish used in fish sticks. It does not taste like fish.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't like fish either unless it's cooked just right (if I can't taste the fishy-ness of the fish, then it's just right). :)

I have a good salmon recipe:
    1 Tbsp each of chopped garlic, loosely packed brown sugar, dijon mustard, soy sauce, melted butter, olive oil and honey. Mix it all up and spread over the salmon 30 minutes before grilling it (or broiling). I usually make double the recipe for two pounds of salmon, spread half of the marinade over the salmon to marinate, and wait until half way through the grilling process before I add the rest of the marinade. It's the only way I'll eat salmon. :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Fresh salmon or trout with paprika and garlic sprinkled on top, wrapped in foil and cooked for 30 mins in oven.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Smoked Salmon... Yummm
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try different cooking methods, I like some fish steamed, other baked in the oven soaking in condensed milk, other pan-fried other broiled...
    same with veggies etc you might try something prepared one way and decide you don't like it while it was that cooking method of that item you didn't like.
    Try tons of spices, just open the cupboard and see what you've got, lemon juice and dill is a nice boost, chipotle really cranks up my salmon etc.
  • Beth429
    Beth429 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are not a fan of the fish flavor I recommend buying pre-cut white talapia or a white cod!!! Season with garlic, oregano and cajun (if you like) Bake in oven at 350 til cooked thorughly and it will taste like a baked chicken breast!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    grill it up! catfish has a low smell to it and you can find in most stores.. my fav fish is sheepshead, redfish, flounder. i love that my husband is a fisherman!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Dolphin, tilapia, shrimp, scallops...those are my favorites.

Not too fishy tasting and easy to cook a ton of different ways.
  • mrsmulhern
    Options
    I love fish and almost every day for dinner I cook a piece of salmon (Gordons) and cut it up into tiny pieces and mix it in a salad that has lettuce (of course), tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and a tiny bit of salad dressing. It's so filling and so tasty! I'm sure you could add mushrooms or onions any other veggies that you like. Basically mix your fish into a nice big fresh salad. It's yummy!
  • mebemini2012
    Options
    Im obsessed with RedHot!!! I put it on everything it helps with bad tastes!!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    FYI Salmon has a pretty fishy taste to it. So you may want to try a white fish and work your way up!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I HATE fishy fish. However, I can stomach tilapia and the white part of swordfish. We generally put a glaze on it and grill it, but sometimes the tilapia still gets that 'water' taste. I have basically given up and just eat shrimp and scallops--you can buy the big bags of scallops in the frozen section much cheaper than the seafood counter, just make sure you check the dates and thaw them correctly.