TYRING TO LIKE FISH--IDEAS???

Options

Replies

• kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have family members who loathe fish who will happily scarf down baked panko-crusted halibut (you can also use cod; halibut is pricey, but soooo goooood). Rinse a halibut fillet, dip into egg white, then coat with a crust of panko, a little parmesan, some spices you like (I usually use pepper, garlic powder, a bit of thyme and sometimes a bit of oregano or basil.) I usually mist the breaded filet with a light spray of olive oil to add a wee bit of flavour and make it turn more brown when cooking. Bake in the oven following usual halibut cooking instructions. Serve with lemon, or ketchup, or homemade tarter sauce, etc. I'll often serve this with baked homemade hashbrowns or baked sweet potato "fries."

EDIT: Also, a light, spicy maple glaze on salmon is very flavourful. The glaze is made with maple syrup, black pepper, cayenne, and a bit of lemon juice -- I usually just randomly mix together amounts until it makes a glaze, and lightly brush that over salmon before baking it. Best on wild salmon, baked on a wooden plank. Mmmmmmm, salmon.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like whatever kind of fish they use for fish stick.
    that depends entirely on the company and which sticks you're getting I've had sole and tilapia sticks but if you don't "watch" your box you can very easily get "minced fish" instead of a fillet that is cut and battered... makes a big difference, kind of like chicken nuggets some are pressed bits others are breast that is cut and battered.
  • lucywhatford
    lucywhatford Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've really grown to like salmon, I wrap a fillet in a couple of sheets of filo pastry, put in a couple of slices of lemon and some dill inside, and bake for about 25-30 minutes on a medium heat. Its really fresh and filling. If you want to cut the calories down you can omit the filo, but it only adds about 100 to the dish, I normally have it with some steamed broccoli and brown rice :D
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I cant be any help at all but I've certainly tried to eat fish for the health nature of fish. But the only way I can eat it is very thin fiets fixed the old-fashioned way in cornmeal and fried. Not good for a healthy way to eat fish. I hate the smell of fish although I love everything else seafood wise. Good luck in your recovery and hope you can find some fish recipes to help you. I've given up on trying to eat it.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I've really grown to like salmon, I wrap a fillet in a couple of sheets of filo pastry, put in a couple of slices of lemon and some dill inside, and bake for about 25-30 minutes on a medium heat. Its really fresh and filling. If you want to cut the calories down you can omit the filo, but it only adds about 100 to the dish, I normally have it with some steamed broccoli and brown rice :D

Wow, I have never thought of wrapping it in phylo!!! That sounds good! (with a different fish) LOL
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Try the costco salmon patties, I cook them in the microwave with out any oil at all and they taste wonderful with some saute`ed veggies, low fat sour cream and home made salsa on top.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Try marinating a white fish (like cod or tilapia) in a flavor you like.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is good. It's supposedly the chicken of fish. It pretty much picks up the taste of whatever you cook it with/in, and I know several professed fish-haters who really like it. I LOVE salmon - but that does have a stronger taste - when cooked well, it is very much like the consistency and texture of canned/pouch tuna - which, I also love. Of course, I recommend cooking tuna rare, but that is perhaps an acquired taste.

As someone said, fresh fish will not smell, so smell is a big indicator to stay away. But honestly, I purchase frozen filets from the market and even though it may smell a tad fishy when I thaw it to cook, I have never had any fish taste bad due to this.

You may not be a big fish eater, but consider these two things - 1. if you try one type and don't like it, try it a second time before saying you don't like it. It could just be how it was cooked or what it was cooked with - as I said, fish like tilapia pick up those other tastes wonderfully. And 2. Be sure to try many different types of fish as they all have such a distinct taste. You may only find one you like (doubtful, but possible!) but if that one fish can reduce your risk of a second heart attack, then it's worth the research!!! :)

Good luck!
  • kimbar303
    kimbar303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :happy: Tinned salmon mixed with mash potatoes and mixed herbs. If you make them in to rissols you can then brown them off under the grill :) its also a quick cheap eat! or if you want to go fresh salmon why not bake in tin foil then mix with pasta and add light phillidelphia cheese. :)
  • GigiBee824
    GigiBee824 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I place salmon skin side down on a foil-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with lemon pepper (we like the Jamaica Me Crazy lemon pepper), then place thin slices of orange and lemon on top. Baking times vary based on the thickness of the cut - I actually prefer my salmon a little on the dry side so I back longer. When I take it out I squeeze lots of fresh lemon juice over them to soak in while they rest for about 5 minutes. Citrus really makes seafood taste good (and I used to hate seafood).

Good luck with the recipes!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If your fish are full of bones, buy them somewhere else.
    Get some fresh or frozen tilapia fillets.
    Please chicken broth in a steamer and steam the fish. Serve with lemon or pasta or make a sandwich.

Good Luck.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    the easiest fish to introduce yourself to is sole, you can buy it fresh or frozen as fillets, the smell is very mild, and you can bake it with a little lemon juice for 8-10 min and done!

I have made this for everyone i know who "hates fish" and it has always gone over exceptionally well.

Other option that are quick and non-fishy: Haddock, talapia.

Rainbow trout is one of my very favorite, i buy the whole fish and put sliced lemons inside it with rosemary and bake it. With this one though you do have lots of bones, but its worth it :)

Good Luck and congrats on being open to to trying something new!
  • SusanE10
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your heart attack, but I'm really glad you are looking to change your diet for the better. Trader Joes has a nice no-salt seasoning called something like Seasoning - 21 Salute. Not sure if you have them in your area--if not, it sounds like the Mrs. Dash stuff us similar. I really love salmon with miso paste. There are recipes on the internet for good recipes, as it's miso paste with a few other ingredients. Good luck!
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to accustom yourself to eating fish you should start trying milder tasting varieties like white fish (cod,haddock,pollock etc) and disguise the taste with herbs,spices and lemon. Most people I know that aren't keen on fish find salmon 'too fishy' so I would avoid that until you become more used to eating fish.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hate fish too.. Gorton's is the best:)
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I eat Mahi Mahi everyday for dinner. No bones, no fishy taste, easy to make and very low in calories.

If you can stand Salmon... It's the best for you. I now love salmon, but admit it took me a while to acquire the taste.

:)
  • 1969San
    1969San Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dolphin, tilapia, shrimp, scallops...those are my favorites.

Not too fishy tasting and easy to cook a ton of different ways.

Dolphin???
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I pretty much hate fish also. BUT I can eat tuna,salmon,cod and talapia. I don't eat them often. Tuna mostly out of the can (in water). Try baking your salmon in wine. My husband took some wine we had and cooked our salmon in it to get rid of it. It turned out great. I hate the whole fishy smell thing too. White fish like cod and talapia are not so fishy tasting. Other than that just bury your fish in something you like. Pico De Gallo on Salmon tastes really good too. Good Luck with the fish!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am not a fish fan either. But I love Mahi Mahi. Doesn't have that super strong fishy taste to me!
  • EmIsabel
    EmIsabel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try a new recipe out tonight. Using a filet of Haddock - EVOO, Minced onion, Minced garlic clove, Tomato sauce (or pasta sauce), stewed tomato's. [Call's for shredded mozzarella cheese]

I've also thrown together something myself before and it turned out full of flavor!
    Using parchment paper - place a white fish fillet of your choice (I used Basa) spread a tsp of EVOO on the fillet ,sprinkle with some herbs of your choice. (Mr dash low sodium would bring a lot of flavor to the dish) Top fish with diced tomato's, chick peas, carrots.. (any kind of vegetable really). A little lemon juice too.. Once you added everything - Fold the parchment paper over the fish and fold the ends to make a pocket. Place in a oven safe dish or pan and bake for roughly 25-30 Minutes.. The parchment paper will poof up and brown. You can take a fork and see if its flaky to know when it's finished.

wrapping it with parchment makes the fish cook, the juices boil and steam the veggies. It's suggested to eat hot right out of the oven. When its most full of flavor!

I've really love fish. its grown on me in the last year.
    Good Luck. :)