Well... I messed THAT up...

Options
THAT being.. last week all together. Yup.. It was bad.

Haven't been to the gym since Wednesday. I've had pizza twice, I drank all weekend (even though it was my personal goal not to), I went to a buffet and stuffed myself on Saturday, I had McDonalds yesterday, not to mention Easter Dinner... Got on the scale this morning... I'm up 3.4 lbs. Lovely.

Yup, I messed up this week.. bad. OH also... pretty sure I have shin splints. Can't even kneel without pain.. dull pain when I walk... if I have to jog to get out from behind a car that wants to back up in a parking lot or something it hurts... actually, I was just crossing my legs and my right one started hurting.

I'm pretty upset to be honest. I know I really messed up last week and that's not good, but at least I can do something about it by sticking to it hard this week and tryingto make up for it. Or rather, I COULD do something about it... if it weren't for my shins.

Swimming is WAY out of my comfort zone with the locker rooms and all I have is a two peices... no thanks.

Don't really know what to do with myself. If I go work out it's just going to get worse right? Or do you think I should go? Don't have the money for good running shoes. Wish I did.

Anyone know how long this usually takes to heal?

Any advice and/or support is welcome... I'm pretty upset with myself... :grumble: Thanks

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    THAT being.. last week all together. Yup.. It was bad.

Haven't been to the gym since Wednesday. I've had pizza twice, I drank all weekend (even though it was my personal goal not to), I went to a buffet and stuffed myself on Saturday, I had McDonalds yesterday, not to mention Easter Dinner... Got on the scale this morning... I'm up 3.4 lbs. Lovely.

Yup, I messed up this week.. bad. OH also... pretty sure I have shin splints. Can't even kneel without pain.. dull pain when I walk... if I have to jog to get out from behind a car that wants to back up in a parking lot or something it hurts... actually, I was just crossing my legs and my right one started hurting.

I'm pretty upset to be honest. I know I really messed up last week and that's not good, but at least I can do something about it by sticking to it hard this week and tryingto make up for it. Or rather, I COULD do something about it... if it weren't for my shins.

Swimming is WAY out of my comfort zone with the locker rooms and all I have is a two peices... no thanks.

Don't really know what to do with myself. If I go work out it's just going to get worse right? Or do you think I should go? Don't have the money for good running shoes. Wish I did.

Anyone know how long this usually takes to heal?

Any advice and/or support is welcome... I'm pretty upset with myself... :grumble: Thanks
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Try this website and keep your chin up! We all mess up but we just get back on and start again.
    Right now would be a great time to do some upper body strength exercises!

Oh, by the way, I used to get terrible shin splints and you will get through this...

Have a great day!
    Angela :flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know you are down but that's not a reason to think that the world is going to end.... Cheer up. Just remember that this you are supposed to achieve a life style change. By counting calories you are allowed to have anything you want, just watch your portions and make sure you fit it into your daily goal. It takes time, patience, adn practice.
    All of us mess up. I have messed up countless times...started over again and messed up just to pick my self up and do it again. The motivation has to come within--- no one can do this for you except yourself.

As for the exercise part. Does it hurt when you walk, or maybe you should try the eliptical. You don't really pick your feet up much on it. but any kind of exercise is better than none.

Believe in your self.... You really cna make this happen.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints too. I know it sounds silly, but before I purchased new shoes, I simply changed my posture while walking/jogging. The straighter my posture, the less the shin splint pain. Give it a try.

Positive thoughts your way. You can get through this!
  • edithm
    edithm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find a hot yoga class. The heat will help you detox the body and heal the shin spintz. Not to mention you may sweat off those 3.4 pounds you just gained. :smile:
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Find a hot yoga class. The heat will help you detox the body and heal the shin spintz. Not to mention you may sweat off those 3.4 pounds you just gained. :smile:

Hot yoga? I've never heard of that... sounds interesting!!
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    I know you are down but that's not a reason to think that the world is going to end.... Cheer up. Just remember that this you are supposed to achieve a life style change. By counting calories you are allowed to have anything you want, just watch your portions and make sure you fit it into your daily goal. It takes time, patience, adn practice.
    All of us mess up. I have messed up countless times...started over again and messed up just to pick my self up and do it again. The motivation has to come within--- no one can do this for you except yourself.

As for the exercise part. Does it hurt when you walk, or maybe you should try the eliptical. You don't really pick your feet up much on it. but any kind of exercise is better than none.

Believe in your self.... You really cna make this happen.

Thanks :flowerforyou: I always get down on myself, but you're right, I have to just pick myself up and go for it (again). It's not like I can't just loose the lbs I've gained just like I lost them the first time. Sometimes it just all seems like too much. But I want this more than anything so I'm just going to get through this rough patch, grab some ibuprofen and hit the gym. I'll try out the elliptical and if that doesn't hurt I'll just do that. Maybe try to walk or jog a tiny bit, just to see how it feels. I read the link the person above sent and it says to stretch too. It's not the end of the world, you're right, it just sucks a little!

Thanks again, I can always trust in you guys to help me get back up.

:flowerforyou:
  • wobblybum
    wobblybum Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't think there is 1 person who can say they have NEVER messed up - but the good thing is it makes you even more determined to succeed - and weight fluctuates daily don't worry about it!
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    You can do it "tothelove" Keep your head up and get back on that horse!!!!:wink::wink: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better,

I'm guessing, based on what you wrote, that most of your weight gain is water weight. Eating lots of salty foods (buffet, McDonald's) and drinking will definitely cause a body to retain water. Also, it takes about 3,500 extra calories to gain one pound of fat. So if your weight gain of 3.4 lbs was all fat, you would have consumed an extra 11,900 calories last week, or mostly this past weekend, based on your report. Just to get an idea of how much that is, 11,900 calories works out to 80 beers at 150 calories each, 7 or 8 whole pizzas, or maybe like 11 meals at McDonalds? Seems kind of unlikely that that weight is all fat if you think about it in those terms.

Don't give up, it will be okay! :flowerforyou:
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better,

I'm guessing, based on what you wrote, that most of your weight gain is water weight. Eating lots of salty foods (buffet, McDonald's) and drinking will definitely cause a body to retain water. Also, it takes about 3,500 extra calories to gain one pound of fat. So if your weight gain of 3.4 lbs was all fat, you would have consumed an extra 11,900 calories last week, or mostly this past weekend, based on your report. Just to get an idea of how much that is, 11,900 calories works out to 80 beers at 150 calories each, 7 or 8 whole pizzas, or maybe like 11 meals at McDonalds? Seems kind of unlikely that that weight is all fat if you think about it in those terms.

Don't give up, it will be okay! :flowerforyou:

I never thought of it that way!!! You're right.. I didn't eat THAT much this weekend! Thanks for that, that really made me feel better!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it all too much! Today is a new day and you can make better choices. I myself ate A LOT of candy yesterday..and still some today, but I'm not going to get down on myself about it..haha..if you don't let yourself have those things once in a while, you're going to binge out on them later, at least that's what happens to me!
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Funny story - just had to add...

My boss (well, my bosses boss) is a runner so I figured I'd go see what he knew about shin splints. Wow. What a wealth of knowledge this guys is. He looked at the bottoms of my shoes and told me that I'm a "heal pounder". He showed me how to run in a way that will decrease the amount of stress on my shins, showed me a couple of things to do to help strengthen my shin muscles, told me that when you ice your shins you need to use a downward motion with the ice (like you're rubbing the muscle down from you knee to your ankle) and that I need to go get a different pair of shoes before I attempt to run again.

He then proceeded to convince me to find a 5k race in the area and that he'd come up with a running plan to train me for that race. And come watch me run.

How funny.

Lol, anyway, so I'm currently looking for 5K's in the area. Wish me luck!
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    I just wanna update real quick... You guys were definatly right. That 187.6 that I weighed in yesterday was water weight. I'm back down to 185.0 today. (this is my "official" weigh-in day). I actually managed to loose 1.4 lbs this week somehow... (Was a little disappointed because I WAS down to 184.2 earlier in the week) But still, I'll take it!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hey there!

I'm so glad you are back in action there! I was thinking the whole time I was reading this thread, she'll lose this in no time if she gets back on track, I too have done this and as said before its pretty impossible to gain 3 pounds in four days....but it is possible if its water retention weight! It has happened to me too a few times...and when I get back on the scale after doing the right thing its like whew! close one! lol

I wanted to also add to all the great adivce you already received that when I have a few days of the lazies or the bingies and then I start back on track, it sort of works in my advantage...again SORT OF...it just seems like when I get back on track the pounds come off a little quicker for a while and then even off again...its not that I do the lazies/bingies on purpose but when they do happen I notice my good efforts after are very well rewarded!

I think its also awesome about your boss' boss! How cool a running mentor! you'll be doing your half and full marathons in no time LOL...I wish you all the best and have suffered from shin splints too and that was great advice he gave you....get the new shoes....I know if you go to new balance they will fit you for a pair based on how you stand that will really make the difference....its worth it!

okay keep us posted and go kick some butt in that 5k, you will love it!:drinker:
    hugs!
    Ali