ATTN: Trainers, Dieticians, Doctors, SOMEONE????

Options
I have been working out for over a year at Anytime fitness. With that being said I decided three months ago to have a trainer help me with different workouts etc, because I was at a stand still. I was not dropping any weight. The trainer thought that I may just need to change things up because my body was use to doing the same cardio routine over and over. I am now doing 6 days a week at the gym for an hour. I do cardio everyday. Four of the 6 days I do cardio for 40 min the other two days I go for an hour. Mixed in with the days that I do cardio for 40 minutes I do Fitness on Request which is either abs, upper or lower body, conditioning 35 or muscle drills. I am only doing strength training with free weights or machines twice a week. Here is my question, I am still not loosing any weight. I am getting very frustrated. What do I need to do differently? Should I be doing more weight training and not as much cardio or ?????? I am very good at watching what I eat and logging everything. I eat healthy and know the importance of good eating habits and calories. I have no idea why I am not loosing any weight. Can someone help me with this??? I wear a HRM and burn between 400-500 calories daily with just the cardio portion. My food intake is suppose to be 1200-1500 and I am always within that.
THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE.

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    have you had your thyroid tested?
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trained pro, but make sure you eat back ALL of your exercise calories. If you burn 400-500 per day, make sure you add 400-500 a day back into your base calorie count. My worst plateaus came when I amped up my workouts, and didn't ramp up the food to fuel them when I should have.
  • bettrem
    bettrem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No I have not had my thyroid tested.
  • bettrem
    Options
    I do have a real hard time eating back all my calories most of the time I am under. I dont eat alot of protein is this maybe some of the problem do you think?
  • anulle2009
    Options
    No I have not had my thyroid tested.
    it might want to be something you consider just for as long as you been trying to do this. what about your foods a lot of processed stuff? I actually just starting reading Mastering your metabolism by Jillian Michaels. Also, like stated before make sure your NET cals are at 1200-1500
  • bettrem
    Options
    So my calorie intake is 1200 daily and say I exercised and burned 500 calories I need to make sure I eat the full 1700 calories? I will still drop weight?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I do have a real hard time eating back all my calories most of the time I am under. I dont eat alot of protein is this maybe some of the problem do you think?

Well, you worked out 2 problems there :) If your body doesn't have enough fuel, it won't burn fat as it takes more energy to do so than muscle. Protein will help you build more lean mass which in turn will burn more fat.
    So my calorie intake is 1200 daily and say I exercised and burned 500 calories I need to make sure I eat the full 1700 calories? I will still drop weight?

Yup, that's the idea. If your Net intake is below 1200, you risk hitting a stage where you don't have enough energy to burn fat for energy.

Ahh, sweet irony.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I would try adding a higher-protein healthy snack in there somewhere just to give your calories and energy a boost and see if it helps a little (around 300 calories like a PB sandwich, a bag of nuts, etc)... and who knows, maybe backing off a little on the cardio and increasing the strength training would give your body something new to think about and get things moving for you. :)

If you want some inspiration, check this out:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I just read this and now I want to get to the gym. LOL
  • anulle2009
    Options
    I would try adding a higher-protein healthy snack in there somewhere just to give your calories and energy a boost and see if it helps a little (around 300 calories like a PB sandwich, a bag of nuts, etc)... and who knows, maybe backing off a little on the cardio and increasing the strength training would give your body something new to think about and get things moving for you. :)

If you want some inspiration, check this out:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I just read this and now I want to get to the gym. LOL

I love nerdfitness.com!!!!!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My first comment is that if you really want the help of a professional, then you should probably seek them out in a professional setting (i.e. not on MFP) and you should be willing to pay for that advice. There are some professionals on MFP that will give out advice... but really, it's not fair to expect them to give away their knowledge when they use that knowledge to put food on the table.

Second, a trainer, dietician, and/or doctor probably can't help you without running a battery of tests. They'd need a lot more info than you can provide on MFP.

You probably don't have thyroid problems. Thyroid problems are relatively uncommon. Still, it doesn't hurt to get tested.

Third, based on my limited knowledge and reading, I believe weight lifting is better for weight loss than cardio. I'd recommend that you significantly reduce the amount of cardio you are doing and that you add in weight lifting. You will need to lift HEAVY. I also recommend that you start eating more. Higher protein is good too, again based on what I've read. I recommend you do a bit of self-education. Many have recommended the work of Lyle McDonald at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ and I like what I've read. You might start there.

Anyway... I wish you the best of luck.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am in your same position. I am down to my last 8 pounds and it seems that no matter what I do, I cannot lose any more weight. I have upped my calories a bit to fuel more intense workouts. I do cardio 3x per week and weight lifting 3x per week (each one every other day). I have recently upped my weights as well. If there is anyone who has advice, I would be interested as well. Thanks!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Well, you worked out 2 problems there :) If your body doesn't have enough fuel, it won't burn fat as it takes more energy to do so than muscle. Protein will help you build more lean mass which in turn will burn more fat.

Yup, that's the idea. If your Net intake is below 1200, you risk hitting a stage where you don't have enough energy to burn fat for energy.

YES, YES, and YES. ^^^^ What he said.