Help with net calorie goal

Options
Hi

My BMR is 2238 and I am wanting to lose 2lbs per week which should be -1000 calories a day. However MyFitnessPal has the target at 1560 so a deficit of 678.

I have put my activity level as sedentary.

Is this right?

Replies

• newlaura30
    Options
    not sure exactly but i know you shouldnt really be eating below 1200 especially if you exercise even a little but sure there will be others on here thay know way better than me one of the benefits of this site x
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Hi

My BMR is 2238 and I am wanting to lose 2lbs per week which should be -1000 calories a day. However MyFitnessPal has the target at 1560 so a deficit of 678.

Is this right?

What did you set you weekly weight loss goal to?
  • jwmarsden
    Options
    2lb per week
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The Net Calorie has always confused me on here. Just know that 1lb is equal to 3500 calories...so that being said I would be with you in thinking a 1000 deficit either by eating less or adding exercise would be the way to do it. However as someone else mentioned you have to make sure you're eating enough so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Me too Ive 98lbs to lose im 42 set it at 1.5lbs lose per week and its just 1310 seditary? Ive alot to lose so thought its low
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For women the low end is 1200, but for men it's 1500. Give it a few weeks and see how it goes before you decide to tweak anything. If that's a bigger deficit than what you're used to it might help to take a few weeks to adjust anyway.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what it takes merely to exist. That's if you were to lie in bed all day and not move at all. Even a sedentary person burns calories moving around doing basic things like walking from the kitchen to the livingroom. I would suggest just letting MFP determine your calories needed and if you don't lose after a month or two, then adjust them from there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi

Is this right?

You are missing a piece of the puzzle. If your BMR is 2238 and you chose sedentary for lifestyle your maintenance calories would be 2685 ish (2238*1.2), so you would take 1000 cals away from that to give you 1685. MFP may use a multiplier that is slightly smaller than 1.2 (1.145 to get 2238 to 2560).

What you missed was the fact that you burn more than BMR doing nothing all day.
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    Your BMR is what it takes merely to exist. That's if you were to lie in bed all day and not move at all. Even a sedentary person burns calories moving around doing basic things like walking from the kitchen to the livingroom. I would suggest just letting MFP determine your calories needed and if you don't lose after a month or two, then adjust them from there.

^THIS^
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There is no need for a 1000 calorie defecit per day. You will be losing more muscle than fat. A good defecit is -300 to -500 max to lose 1-2 pounds per week. Much more than that and you will be losing more muscle than fat.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is not subtracted from you BMR. It is figured by subtracting your 1000 cals (2 lb/wk loss) from your BMR+daily activity burn. A typical daily activity burn (making dinner, going to the restroom, walking to the mailbox, etc) is 500 cals. So take your BMR and add about 500 cals. THEN subtract your 1000 cals. 2238+500=2738. Then 2738-1000=1738. Of course if you chose sedentary then MFP may have calculated your daily activity burn at less, making your daily net calorie goal lower.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    There is no need for a 1000 calorie defecit per day. You will be losing more muscle than fat. A good defecit is -300 to -500 max to lose 1-2 pounds per week. Much more than that and you will be losing more muscle than fat.

A 1000 cal per day deficit IS how he would lose 2 lbs per week. He has a higher daily need so it is reasonable to have that large of a deficit.