Curves??

Options
Does anyone belong to Curves? I was thinking of joining but just wanted some input first.

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I used to work for them about 8 years ago. They are good for getting you started if you've never really exercised. But once you develop some endurance I'd suggest doing more stuff on your own or more advanced exercises.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I workout at Curves - I love it. It's not my only source of exercise but I love how 3 days a week my workout is finished in 30 minutes, it also gives you a pretty good idea of calories burnt in that 30 min.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't belong to curves just have curves. LOL
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was a member until they constantly told me I was working out to hard because I was sweating and my face was red. I always get red faced and sweat even when I am doing a light workout. I tried explaining this to them but they would not listen to me. I decided to cancel my membership and joined a real gym!!
  • conleyclan
    Options
    Hi! I joined Curves in Oct. 2011 and I absolutely love it! I love the social time I get along with a fun workout. I chose the circuit training route instead of a traditional gym because the circuit keeps me motivated and on track with what I need to do and get done. I get too distracted in a gym setting.
    So far, along with drinking ViSalus shakes, I have lost 10 pounds and 5.5 inches at Curves.
    Good luck!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was a member, but not a fan. I like being able to adjust my weights, and my particular clubs' treadmills were about 20 years old and barely worked. I'm much happier at a traditional gym, and it's much cheaper.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to go and really liked it (exercise aside – I hate to exercise LOL) and made some great workout friends while I was there. It was nice to see the same ladies and have them support me on my journey. Ours had a great vibe – low key and non competitive. However, with each being independently owned they can vary a lot in atmosphere. I would say go in and check it out - I think most if not all of them will let you give it a try at least one time before joining.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Curves - I haz them!
  • Janlynn1950
    Options
    I love Curves! I have been a member since 2003. I belonged to a gym for 10 years before that but hated spending so much time trying to work out at a gym. I was always having to wait on someone who were on the machines so I could do my workout. At Curves, the machines are resistance machines similar to the gym. You can't change the weight as you get more fit so I have to do more on the boards in between the machines to keep my heart rate up. It only takes 30 minutes and you are out. I also do the Zumba at our Curves twice a week. Jan
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I belong to Curves and I do enjoy it. I like an atmosphere with all women in various states of fitness. It's great when you are just starting and trying to build up some endurance and there are different variations on the workouts. Not for everyone, but works for me.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Curves member, and it is a great place. It really is a good workout - you get out of it what you put into it. I just got bored with it and wanted more variety, so went to a regular gym. Now if only I could find a gym that has a set-up like curves, but also has the elliptical, treadmill, etc that I can use on opposite days... :wink:
  • rissadiane
    Options
    I used to be a Curves member, and it is a great place. It really is a good workout - you get out of it what you put into it. I just got bored with it and wanted more variety, so went to a regular gym. Now if only I could find a gym that has a set-up like curves, but also has the elliptical, treadmill, etc that I can use on opposite days... :wink:

My Planet Fitness does as part of their 30 minute workout. It's actually kind of like Curves, but you can adjust the weight on the weight machines
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Check to see if there's a Planet Fitness near you. They have the whole circuit training part in addition to the treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, nautilus-type machines and free weights.

And, even better -- they're only $10/mo., $10 to sign up, and no contract. (if you want access to any PF in the country plus free tanning, then it's $20/mo., $20 to sign up (sometimes free) and a 1-year contract).
  • rissadiane
    Options

Check to see if there's a Planet Fitness near you. They have the whole circuit training part in addition to the treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, nautilus-type machines and free weights.

And, even better -- they're only $10/mo., $10 to sign up, and no contract. (if you want access to any PF in the country plus free tanning, then it's $20/mo., $20 to sign up (sometimes free) and a 1-year contract).

Great minds think alike :drinker:
  • jacqui2584
    Options
    I really enjoy going to curves, because I see the same ladies each day and it keeps me motivated. It's a nice social opportunity while you work out. Similar to what others have said, it's a nice starting place if you don't have a lot of endurance and gives you the best of both worlds in 30 minutes. However, as you become more advanced you will likely want to add more to your routine. I do Zumba 2 3x weekly on the Wii and also add biking and other work out videos for some variety. Again, each Curves is different, so I would suggest checking your local club out!
  • rissadiane
    Options
    If you have any qualms about giving money to corporations that give a large chunk of their income to pro-life organizations, stay away from Curves.

If that's a pro for you, or if you don't care about political issues in this manner, then it's a decent place to start. But you won't be able to advance much while staying there.

Who would have a problem with pro-life organizations? I don't get it?

Because some women think that we deserve a choice in the matter :flowerforyou:

I think the choice should come before you spread your legs open. Not after a life has already begun. If its not alive then why do you have to kill it?

It's not always that simple. But if I recall correctly, these things are not supposed to be discussed on the forum. Feel free to PM me though.
  • rissadiane
    Options
    If you have any qualms about giving money to corporations that give a large chunk of their income to pro-life organizations, stay away from Curves.

If that's a pro for you, or if you don't care about political issues in this manner, then it's a decent place to start. But you won't be able to advance much while staying there.

Who would have a problem with pro-life organizations? I don't get it? If it were not for the pro-life actions of our mothers, non of us would be here.

Sounds like a plus to me!!!!!!!!!

Yes, seriously, My opinion. So shoot me.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I can respect that -- but to ask why anyone would have a problem with this is just ignorant at best, assholish at worst. I'm here because my mother had a CHOICE, and I will honor that CHOICE by ensuring that other women have the same CHOICES.

You're pro-life...fine. So, obviously you wouldn't have a problem supporting a corporation that gave large amounts of money to these organizations. AS I ACKNOWLEDGED in my post, there are going to be other people in the same boat (as well as those people who don't give a **** about political issues such as this). But for those of us for whom this would matter, I think it's important to inform people of this.

:drinker:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did not like curves because of the 'social' end of it......with that said.........I come from a fairly small city and I know alot of people...the other ladies were gossiping about a young man that I knew that was in a car accident .....gossiping with all of the wrong facts. Human nature I know, but still

Not that they are all like that, it was just not something that i liked.

BUT, like other posters have stated, maybe try Planet Fitness if you have one. We have the 30 minute circuit and I love it!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Who would have a problem with pro-life organizations? I don't get it? If it were not for the pro-life actions of our mothers, non of us would be here.

Sounds like a plus to me!!!!!!!!!

Yes, seriously, My opinion. So shoot me.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I can respect that -- but to ask why anyone would have a problem with this is just ignorant at best, assholish at worst. I'm here because my mother had a CHOICE, and I will honor that CHOICE by ensuring that other women have the same CHOICES.

You're pro-life...fine. So, obviously you wouldn't have a problem supporting a corporation that gave large amounts of money to these organizations. AS I ACKNOWLEDGED in my post, there are going to be other people in the same boat (as well as those people who don't give a **** about political issues such as this). But for those of us for whom this would matter, I think it's important to inform people of this.

I have heard of plenty of people being against killing but really this is the first of hearing anyone being against life. As for name calling, well, I'll let that speak for itself.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Being FOR choice is not being AGAINST life. These so called pro-life groups should call themselfs what they are anti-abortion.