How do you explain weight loss/tracking to your kids?

Options
I've been going at this now quite consistently for a couple of weeks, so it's pretty obvious that I'm doing something different. I've been keeping the food journal, going to classes, going to the gym... well of course now my 7yo is asking questions. So I've taken it as an opportunity to start teaching her more about nutrition and the value of exercise. We've been reading food labels together, looking at our plates and discussing food groups, and she has started keeping her own food diary. She started that on her own, with a crayon and a notebook. LOL So I printed off a worksheet online that's designed for kids and tracks food servings + activity.

She keeps asking about calories, which I explained to her as being the amount of energy in a food, and that we have to make sure we eat enough healthy calories to let our bodies do the things we want to. I'm trying to stay away from the other side of it, because I don't even want the thought of calorie restriction to be in her head right now. Instead, I'm reinforcing the idea of "enough healthy calories," while we're also keeping track of food group servings so she can see whether she's getting enough veggies, etc. And we've been comparing things when we're at the store - reading ingredients together, and looking for options that have less sugar, more fiber, and so on.

For fitness, I added "30 minutes of exercise" to her ChorePad app, and since she's addicted to checklists and really values getting a bigger allowance, that has motivated her to make an effort to find exercise opportunities. We also bought a new Wii dance game that has gotten her on her feet a lot more. :o)

So, from PARENTS with experience... does this sound like I'm on the right track? I'm keen to keep her from getting hung up on calories or thinking skinny=better, but I do want to educate her better than I was as a kid and set her on the path to avoid being a fat 12yo and on a weight-loss roller coaster for 20 years like I have.

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I worry about this as well as I have a two kids. I try to emphasis the "healty living" part. I try to include them when I can in exercising. They ride their bikes while I run. For my food, I explain that I want to be healthy so I can be around for them. Instead of rewarding them with food (which is what I was given as a child) I go towards non-food items like going to a movie or allowing them to get a new game.

The other thing I do is still allow for them to have junk food - I just limit it. I don't have them counting calories but I think your daughter is doing it to spend time with mommy. :smile:
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't have them counting calories but I think your daughter is doing it to spend time with mommy. :smile:

I think you're right. :smile:
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i'm a professional who works with children and youth and i've been in the field for quite a few years. if you'd like my opinion, send me a message! i understand you want input from parents, so i'll respect that otherwise :)
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like what you've done with your daughter - I have a 6 y/o girl and when I pull out an exercise DVD she loves to do them with me, along with Wii games. She knows I track what I eat and we've discussed healthy eating, eating the rainbow, etc. Far too many children are obese (in the U.S, anyways) and I think you are setting a great example without going over her head or causing her to obsess about her weight. I wish someone would have spent more time with me when I was younger emphasizing some of that stuff!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i explain it by telling them that its important to know what you put in your body, that its healthy. they dont need details abt cals and all that (IMO) im teaching them more as whats good for you and what you should have daily, and what is not healthy and you should have on occasion.

both of my kids are really into this!! they cook with me, we pick out new fruits we have never had before, or veggies.. we go to the fresh farms now and ive signed us all up for a canning class LOL i think as long as you show them what foods are good foods then you are on the right track! regarding exercise, well my kids have always seen me do that and walk a few miles with me on a reg basis. my daughter is now saying she wants to do races. she did the zombie run here (1 mile) and really liked it!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the perfect track. I weigh/measure almost all the foods I eat at home and my 9-year-old and 6-year-old have asked me about it. Like you, I don't talk about restricting calories or losing weight, but more that calories give us the energy we need. I have gone a little deeper into it giving examples of protein that is good for giving us strong muscles and good fats (nuts, peanut butter, etc. I usually list stuff they like) is good for keeping our bodies healthy and with energy.

I'm a big runner - getting ready to run my 5th marathon this spring. So I talk to them about making sure I'm eating ENOUGH food to give my body energy for lots of running. My kids get a huge kick out of being active with me. Sometimes we do short/easy workout videos together at home. My 9-year-old even ran a couple of 5Ks with me this summer.

I think the most important thing we can do as parents is set good examples for our kids. They see me eating my fruits & veggies and getting out and being active. On the flip side I refuse to call anything (food) "bad." We certainly have our treats - almost daily in fact. But I like to emphasize to the kids that we need lots & lots of healthy foods and only little bits of sweet treats.

I grew up perpetually overweight and ALWAYS had issues with food. I've spent most of my teen/adult years working through those issues and I would very much like to avoid those same things happening to my kids.
  • KareninCanada
    Options
    Thanks, all!! :o) I feel like I'm making the right choices, but it helps to get some been-there-done-that feedback!

karagav - I'll message you, too, but yes, please!
  • cwalters1540
    cwalters1540 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My 2 boys have seen me eating healthier/less and have asked why. I tell them it's so I can become healthier (as opposed to skinnier). Like you, I don't want them focusing on calories or body image. Weather permitting we like to play games outside for exercise. We'll play soccer, baseball, or hike at a local park. I talk to them about exercise so they know that being active is good and that exercise can be fun.

I do let my kids have "junk" food occasionally but always emphasize that they are "sometimes" foods not "all the time" foods like fruits are. I also tell them they can have the junk since they were really active that day or because they have already eaten a bunch of healthy foods.

You sound like you're doing all the right things for your daughter!
  • snowdriftlmk
    Options
    You could have fun with it and make a cool sticker chart for them to track their food too. They don't have to add calories they can just get a sticker for each category of food they eat for the day., etc or something like that. You can hang it up in the kitchen. If they have something that is "Empty Calories" like soda, ice cream or candy, they don't get a sticker for it.

My Mom would have done that she was a school teacher at an elementary school.

You could also read them some books on nutrition that are made for kids (if there are any good ones out there).

Letting the kids cook with you sometimes is also a fun way for them to learn about nutrition.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You could have fun with it and make a cool sticker chart for them to track their food too. They don't have to add calories they can just get a sticker for each category of food they eat for the day., etc or something like that. You can hang it up in the kitchen. If they have something that is "Empty Calories" like soda, ice cream or candy, they don't get a sticker for it.

My Mom would have done that she was a school teacher at an elementary school.

You could also read them some books on nutrition that are made for kids (if there are any good ones out there).

Letting the kids cook with you sometimes is also a fun way for them to learn about nutrition.

i love your ideas about books for kids and cooking, however i'm not sure i agree with encouraging young children to be tracking their food with stickers. trust me, i'm ALL about stickers and charts, i think they can be extremely effective in terms of behaviour management (i work with behavioural children and youth), however i feel that associating food with rewards/consequences can have very negative effects. children may then associate not getting a sticker with 'being bad' and negatively internalize this further. although i don't think it's a good idea to let kids eat all the empty calories they want, kids are kids and they should learn that these foods can be eaten in moderation.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If anything its putting the right thoughts in her mind. I have explained to my 5yo step daughter what I am doing. She understands the idea of healthy choices as she has to really limit soda, caffeine, and chocolate due to bladder issues. She knows that MCDonalds is a sometimes food and she even gets the apple slices instead of fries. I just reinforce her good choices and limit the amount of bad she has around her. Hopefully when she is able to feed herself when she is older she will still make healthy choices!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but when I started reading this thread I was wondering what you were going to say, because so many people instill unhealthy attitudes towards food into their kids without even realising it (and I'm not sure if I'd be any better!). But all I could do when I read your post was smile and think, "that's a parent bringing up a well balance child".
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't explained it at all as weight loss to my son. He is 5, will be 6 in March, and really enjoys spending time doing things with me. When he noticed I was doing a work out video, he wanted to join me. We've found some kids exercise videos (Jr. Yoga) and he wants to do them every day. I've explained to him that mommy is trying to make sure we are all healthier, by eating better and moving more. I haven't made an issue about my weight around him, I don't want him to get the idea in his head that he needs to lose weight. He got pizza on Sunday, and was asking me what was healthy about his pizza. We talk about the food groups, and getting enough of each group.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! Many parents don't care what, how, where, when, or why their kids eat. All of which, is a very important part of being an observant, involved parent. So, I think it is great that you are investing the time and the thought on educating your kids about what they are putting into their bodies. I think too, having the food pyramid on the refrigerator or copies of it, and writing down what they ate and catagorizing within the pyramid would be a great, non-threatening learning experience! (that's what I did for a while). Who knows... with that much interest already, you might even have a future dietician in the Family! How awesome:happy:
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am also explaining it from the point of view of getting myself healthier. My children are 4 and 6 and we have given them the choice of where we take our familly vacation this year, a beach holiday in France or a hillwalking holiday in the UK. They chose the second option! This has made it easy for me to approach it from that angle, i have also been explaining the importance of food groups to my 6 year old as they are talking about healthy balanced diets at school.

Since i started this they have been eating more fruit and veg because mummy is, no pressure no pushing just because it is what they see going on. They do also still get treats, because thats part of our new balanced life, but they are in moderation.

When i was growing up my slim mother was always on a diet, i remember her eating grapefruit for breakfast, cottage cheese or an apple for lunch and then a salad with something for dinner. She certainly didnt have much weight to shift, if any but she banned all treats from the house and fed us simillar foods, i attribute my binge eatign habbit which i formed as a teenager to this and am determined not to go down the same path myself because i know first hand how it can affect a child.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    -eating too much makes you fat

-"junk food" is ok, just don't eat too much

I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I havent shared with my kids what I am doing because I have a 7 year old daughter and I don't want to pass along to her my body insecurities. Mind you, I am "only" trying to lose 10 lbs so I don't think I am that unhealthy to begin with. But I do remember as a child, my mother was constantly dieting, constantly thinking she was fat (she wasn't) and, as I was a teenager, sending me messages that being slimmer would lead to greater happiness (I was thin! and I felt fat!). So with my daughter I try not to share my body anxiety. Of course I try to serve and eat healthy food, and to promote exercise, but given my background and my own tendencies I would like to try to prolong her innocence re food issues and women for just a bit longer.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I equate it to a shopping list.

I want enough staples (good calories) in the pantry to be able to cook the things I need (live healthily)
    I need to keep track of what I've used and what I need to get more of, so I don't run out.
    I don't want to buy too much or I'll have no room and I'll have to store it somewhere inconvenient.
    I don't want to keep too little or we won't have anything to eat.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
  • KareninCanada
    Options
    I havent shared with my kids what I am doing because I have a 7 year old daughter and I don't want to pass along to her my body insecurities.

That's what I started out to do, too... but she's too observant, and she reads everything she sees. This kid doesn't miss a thing. "Why are you going to the gym? What is your class about? Can I come? What are you writing down? What are you doing? What are you reading? What's that mean? What's a calorie? Why does the juice have more sugar than the pop?" Throw in a couple of exposures to Bowflex commercials on the hotel TV when we were on a trip over Christmas, and she started thinking and analyzing and asking so much that it HAD to be addressed.