sleep and weight loss

Options
I have a 10 month old and he doesn't sleep well at night. I'm up a lot and don't get good sleep. Will this affect my weight loss?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies showing that lack of sleep does have a negative effect on weight loss, yes. That's one of the biggest things I always see on any list of tips on how to lose weight more easily, is to get more sleep.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My toddler is probably a worse sleeper than your 10 month old... she sleeps for 4 hours in a 24 hour period- including naps, etc. She just doesn't sleep. My DH and I trade some hours, but I am averaging way under 8 hours for the night.

Here's what I do: I make it the best sleep I can for the time I have- no caffeine after noon, limit sugar intake. I make my room dark, and we turn the TV off well before bedtime. I follow all the sleep "rules" so I can maximize the sleep I do get. This time will pass, but it's rough. I feel ya!
  • mczwright
    Options
    Just wish I could get him to sleep so I have more energy during the day.
  • Mama2HnC
    Options
    My 7 month old is also up every 2-3 hours every night.. it's a lot better now. He used to be up every hour.. but i'd say I get under 8 hours, and a very choppy sleep.. because I don't sleep deep since my husband works in a camp.
    I go to bed around 10, early... but it's so I can get as much sleep as possible...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    They say the weight gain from lack of sleep is caused by a tendency to eat more when we're tired. As long as you're logging everything you eat and staying within your goals I think you'd be fine.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I took a nutrition class in college this is what we learned:

The hormone that is released that helps weight loss is only released during sleep (much like the growth hormone) so, if we do not get enough sleep the hormone is either not released or not in great enough quantities to affect weight loss. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the name of the hormone is but it bears looking up. I always keep this info in mind when I am struggling to lose weight.
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    Oye! same here...I am actually not seeing a lot of weight loss. My clothes are feeling are a litte lose and I think this is a combination of sleep deprivation (very choppy sleep for 7 hrs) and NOT logging in my food everyday in MFP. I think I can control one of these devils at least. As for the sleep I am just going to wait for my 9 month old to start sleeping better.