Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I'm considering purchasing a heart rate monitor so I'm looking for recommendations on some that are reasonably priced and work really well. Also, I'm pleading ignorance on this issue big time, I have no idea how they work to tell me how many calories I'm buring while working out so I'll need some info on that as well:wink: .

Replies

• SongbirdTrisha
    SongbirdTrisha Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm considering purchasing a heart rate monitor so I'm looking for recommendations on some that are reasonably priced and work really well. Also, I'm pleading ignorance on this issue big time, I have no idea how they work to tell me how many calories I'm buring while working out so I'll need some info on that as well:wink: .
    I came to this board to ask the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS! LOL! I am looking to buy one also! Thanks for beating me to the punch :smile:
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks but how does the HRM track the calories that you burn?
  • siharris04
    siharris04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT40 HRM and love it... It's great for outdoor/indoor workouts and tracks calories burned, heart rate, and whether I'm working out in the Fat Burning Zone or the Fitness Zone (amongst a few other things). My husband uses two different Garmin products... one with a GPS (he's a runner) but just recently purchased another because it does not track his indoor workouts. Both are great products but I personally love my Polar HRM because it tracks both. Here is the link for more information.

http://www.polar.fi/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT40

Also, this site is great for reading the reviews on the product... http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft40-woman-black.html
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks but how does the HRM track the calories that you burn?

You input your gender, weight and age. Then when you exercise it takes your heartbeat and then does its mathematics to find the calorie equation and there you have your calories burned.

You have to remember to alter your weight on it if you lose weight though, but it is easy enough.
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies on this.
  • siharris04
    siharris04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post replying to how the HRM measure calories burned. It's really the best way to measure how your body burns calories. I also wore mine for an entire 24 hours, 3 different times over the course of about 10 days to measure how many calories I'm burning on average in a day. This really helps with setting your calorie goals because you have a better ideal of what your calorie intake or deficit should be if you are trying to lose weight.
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and can be bought off amazon for $70 or from a sporting goods store for $90. Mine keeps track of your heart rate and calories burned during exercising. it shows a scale of your lower hr( strength training) mine is 125 and then what my high hr should be if i want to burn the most calories 175..my max hr is 191 for my age and if i see that its that high for more than a few mins i will slow down so i dont pass out. The best investment money ive EVER spent :happy: