MASTER CLEANSE AKA LEMONADE DIET

Options

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    So, this sounds like something I might like to try during my vacation. Question. How does this limit physical activity? I'm going to assume you can't go to the gym at all, but can you do other things? I break a sweat when I clean, and am planning on physical activities like windsurfing and tennis.

I dont want to sound general butI think everyone is different in how they handle changes. As for me after day 3 I had so much energy that I did exercise at home and the gym a couple of times. I wouldn't recommend it, you just have to trust your body. I dont know about windsurfing and tennis but I did do light workouts when I was on the cleanse. Not a doctor, dont want to give horrible advise, thats all I got. lol.
  • pannellkat
    Options
    As I told you guys earlier this week, I started the Master Cleanse aka as Lemonade Diet on Monday with intentions of only doing it for 3 days but I feel so good today that I am going to do it one more day. I would not stay on it for more than four days, because the doctors say 3-4 days is ok. I did not have any side effects. The only side effect I had was the lost of 7 lbs. I did not do this to lose weight I did it because I felt I needed to give my body a good cleansing. I did not feel hungry. As a matter of fact, I had a lot of energy. The mixture tasted like lemonade made with honey with a kick because of the cayenne pepper. And yes I would do it again. It is recommended that you cleanse at least twice a year. Also, I continued to do my exercise.

I do the Master Cleanse 4 times a year for 10 days at the change of each season. it is not unhealthy, because you are getting all of your basic nutrients in the "Lemonade".......

My endocrinologist told me that you can stay on it for up to 45 days.................

It gets too expensive for me after about 10 days because of using organic lemons, organic maple syrup, filtered water.............

WOW 4 times a year! I plan on starting again on June 23 for 10 days again, I did it a year ago this time last year but I dont think I can do it more than once a year. And you are right, after 10 days..it gets expensive. That darn maple syrup! And I use the cayenne liquid so that gets expensive for me also.
  • pannellkat
    Options
    so...do you guys think that it is possible to do the cleanse and go to work at the same time? Thats what Im worried the most about..not having enough energy to do anything...

I started my cleanse on a Sat. morning just to give myself 2 days to see how I would respond to the change, then I went to work Monday-Friday and on Monday my energy level was skyrocketed, never had that much energy before and I was fine. I would even work out when I got home. If you are going to try it, I say start on the weekend to see how you respond first before going to work and make sure you bring enough to work for the day.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Spoke to my hypnotist/nutritionist about this today and he said he supports my wanting to detox and thought this plan was fine for me. Does want me to take a multi, and ease in and out of it. But he does it 2 times a year himself. Said alot of why you get the energy rush is because alot of nutrients are soaked into our skin, if the skin is covered with stuff (ewww) it has to work harder to absorb.

I mentioned that I was eating healthy and trying very hard to stay away from cruddy foods (more clean eating) he said that if we didn't have all this processed foods then we wouldn't have to do this, because we would be eating nuts, berries, fruits, green veggies, lean meats instead we eat cheeseburger and french fries. and crap food...this stops up the pipes much like your shower pipes collect hair......

He also mentioned the theory on starvation with this detox....if you don't do it all the time you are fine. And the fear of starvation is not as real for people with a significant amount of weight to lose. And I got some in site on the generic 1200 cals.....amazing what you get when you sit down and drill your nutritionist for an hour....so I feel alot better about my situation as a whole...if you want further input feel free to email me directly :flowerforyou:

That's all I needed to hear. I am gonna start it this weekend...........will keep you posted.:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, I won't butt my nose in any more, you guys do what you feel you must. But I just make one request before you do, go talk to a gastroenterologist before you do this stuff, they are experts in the area of the colon, intestines, and digestive system. If they tell you that this is solid science, and is safe, and healthy, then I'm all for you doing it.

I'll say this again, and SongbyrdSweet says it every time she has the time to respond to these (SBS is a girl on here that is a college student in a medical field, and has LOTS of knowledge on this stuff). THERE IS NO BUILT UP STUFF IN THE COLON AND INTESTINES. Nothing sticks to a normal colon (and you'd know it if you colon was abnormal or had issues, trust me!), it's lined with slimy stuff that helps move things along, those infomercials that talk about stuff stuck to the colon is a straight up lie. As to toxins being flushed, I'm not sure where they get this info, it's just plain false.

Lemonade is a very weak acid, far weaker then your stomach acid, it doesn't really do anything for you. Maple Syrup is basically just sugar, it has no magical properties, it gives you some calories (a few, not many), and cayan pepper acts like nothing more then an irritant and maybe a mild laxative.

You lose weight on this diet because it forces your body to use up all your glycogen stores, which can be pounds, and you are starving yourself, so you'll lose lots of muscle mass too, this is NOT a healthy way to lose weight.

Again, I urge you to go talk to a physician that has worked in a digestion related field, not a nutritionist, nutritionists are fine, but they aren't doctors.

I don't know what else to say on this, if you guys blow this off, then I'm done trying.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    FYI my nutritionist is educated, not just your average nutritionist, although he did not say this one specifically he did say that detoxing was good every once in a while. Similar to fasting, nothing wrong with it, as a matter of fact other nutritionist who are here on this site also recommended a detox. As for starving yourself and eating away your lean muscle, this is specific to individual people. A person who is 115 pounds with 0 fat storage should be concerned about losing muscle. Someone with alot of muscle mass existing may lose some but ultimately should survive, I personally have alot of muscle mass, and because of long term use we have determined that my muscles seem to build very fast...so 10 days on this is not going to starve me nor will it cause my body to eat all that much lean muscle.

:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    FYI my nutritionist is educated, not just your average nutritionist, although he did not say this one specifically he did say that detoxing was good every once in a while. Similar to fasting, nothing wrong with it, as a matter of fact other nutritionist who are here on this site also recommended a detox. As for starving yourself and eating away your lean muscle, this is specific to individual people. A person who is 115 pounds with 0 fat storage should be concerned about losing muscle. Someone with alot of muscle mass existing may lose some but ultimately should survive, I personally have alot of muscle mass, and because of long term use we have determined that my muscles seem to build very fast...so 10 days on this is not going to starve me nor will it cause my body to eat all that much lean muscle.

how do you come to this conclusion? And I'll say it again, unless your nutritionist has a degree in medicine, and has worked with or as a gastroenterologist, they are not, in my opinion, qualified to give clients advice on products such as this one. In fact, nutritionists in general should not be commenting on anything other then macro and micro nutrients on the body. My RD (registered dietitian, and yes, she has a degree and has worked side by side with gastroenterologists and surgeons who work on intestinal issues) goes ballistic every time she hears about one of these posts. One of these days I'm going to get her to come on here. I have stopped talking to her about it. Because it just bothers her too much.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

how do you come to this conclusion? And I'll say it again, unless your nutritionist has a degree in medicine, and has worked with or as a gastroenterologist, they are not, in my opinion, qualified to give clients advice on products such as this one. In fact, nutritionists in general should not be commenting on anything other then macro and micro nutrients on the body. My RD (registered dietitian, and yes, she has a degree and has worked side by side with gastroenterologists and surgeons who work on intestinal issues) goes ballistic every time she hears about one of these posts. One of these days I'm going to get her to come on here. I have stopped talking to her about it. Because it just bothers her too much.

Not commenting on the cleanse, other than Banks is right, the colon does not store pounds of excess for long periods of time, trust me you would know if it did - you would be ill and in a GI office. But to comment on the nutritionist part, in the US nutritionist is a unregulated title. So anyone on this site could start posting today as a nutritionist and be legal, no background/education is required - so I have to somewhat disagree about them being qualified to comment on macro/micro nutrients, they may be, thay may not be. A registered dietitian is like Banks said, 4 year degree in human nutrition with a year or of interning/post grad work and works in the medical field. So I'd go with what the dietitian says, unless you are pretty darn sure what your nutritionists medical background is. If you don't know, ask, remember this could be some dude that was a mechanic yesterday instucting you how to starve yourself for a week today.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I personally have alot of muscle mass, and because of long term use we have determined that my muscles seem to build very fast...so 10 days on this is not going to starve me nor will it cause my body to eat all that much lean muscle.

Muscle is what burns calories for us, that is why strength training to build muscle is so good when you are trying to lose weight. More muscle, more calories burned all the time, from sitting on the couch to running. So doing anything that potentially makes you lose some of that muscle when trying to lose weight, is counterproductive. Even if you gain that muscle back eventually, that time your body could have been working away at that extra fat, that is gone. Just a thought.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well, I won't butt my nose in any more, you guys do what you feel you must. But I just make one request before you do, go talk to a gastroenterologist before you do this stuff, they are experts in the area of the colon, intestines, and digestive system. If they tell you that this is solid science, and is safe, and healthy, then I'm all for you doing it.

I'll say this again, and SongbyrdSweet says it every time she has the time to respond to these (SBS is a girl on here that is a college student in a medical field, and has LOTS of knowledge on this stuff). THERE IS NO BUILT UP STUFF IN THE COLON AND INTESTINES. Nothing sticks to a normal colon (and you'd know it if you colon was abnormal or had issues, trust me!), it's lined with slimy stuff that helps move things along, those infomercials that talk about stuff stuck to the colon is a straight up lie. As to toxins being flushed, I'm not sure where they get this info, it's just plain false.

Lemonade is a very weak acid, far weaker then your stomach acid, it doesn't really do anything for you. Maple Syrup is basically just sugar, it has no magical properties, it gives you some calories (a few, not many), and cayan pepper acts like nothing more then an irritant and maybe a mild laxative.

You lose weight on this diet because it forces your body to use up all your glycogen stores, which can be pounds, and you are starving yourself, so you'll lose lots of muscle mass too, this is NOT a healthy way to lose weight.

Again, I urge you to go talk to a physician that has worked in a digestion related field, not a nutritionist, nutritionists are fine, but they aren't doctors.

I don't know what else to say on this, if you guys blow this off, then I'm done trying.

Banks I asked my MD what he thought about these cleanses and his response was simple

" The garbage is already on the porch...."

As far as the comments on 20,30,40 pounds of waste in the intestimes, that would mean I weigh less than 100 pounds............so I guess this fat jiggling on my arms, legs and tummy are a figment of my imagination.:laugh:
  • pannellkat
    Options
    Spoke to my hypnotist/nutritionist about this today and he said he supports my wanting to detox and thought this plan was fine for me. Does want me to take a multi, and ease in and out of it. But he does it 2 times a year himself. Said alot of why you get the energy rush is because alot of nutrients are soaked into our skin, if the skin is covered with stuff (ewww) it has to work harder to absorb.

I mentioned that I was eating healthy and trying very hard to stay away from cruddy foods (more clean eating) he said that if we didn't have all this processed foods then we wouldn't have to do this, because we would be eating nuts, berries, fruits, green veggies, lean meats instead we eat cheeseburger and french fries. and crap food...this stops up the pipes much like your shower pipes collect hair......

He also mentioned the theory on starvation with this detox....if you don't do it all the time you are fine. And the fear of starvation is not as real for people with a significant amount of weight to lose. And I got some in site on the generic 1200 cals.....amazing what you get when you sit down and drill your nutritionist for an hour....so I feel alot better about my situation as a whole...if you want further input feel free to email me directly :flowerforyou:

That's all I needed to hear. I am gonna start it this weekend...........will keep you posted.:drinker:

Thats wonderful! Good luck, the first two days are TOUGH but after that you will be okay. How long do you plan on cleansing? I did it for 10 days and then 2 days after nothing but clear broth and orange juice. My next cleanse is scheduled for 6/23, cannot wait!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    There's something much better than maple syrup, lemon and cayenne pepper drinks. Eat whole foods. The crap you think you need to get out of your system? Don't eat it in the first place.
    Eliminating processed foods is better for you rather than some quickie short term fix. You do the cleanse, you feel great, then within a few weeks eat garbage again. What's the point?
    I did a detox kit a few times where I popped a bunch of pills while following their nutrition guidelines which was basically just nothing processed. Yes I felt healthier, even lost my knee and back pain, but I realized it was just eating the right foods because I can do that without the pills and feel the same way. Looking up this cleanse you find tonnes of sites selling books about it or kits of the ingredients. It's just another money grab.
    If that is what you need to do to kick bad eating habits for 10 days then hey, all the power to you. You just really don't need to, and I hope you find a more permanent healthy solution someday that works for you.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Good point Sapporo.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I just want an opinion that is backed up by clinical research. What a registered dietian says is an EXTREMELY educated opinion but is still a opinion about what effect these things do unless they have some sort of research to back it up. Same with peoples experiences. It is how it effects them, how it makes them feel, and the oft chanted placebo effect but it doesn't tell me the true physiological impact of a cleanse. I would love it if some would post some type of true research. I haven't been able to find any. The closest is the post at the link below which ends with a doctor stating “I don’t know if it works, but I can’t recommend it.” So please, if you have any medical research on cleanses post them.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-redux/
  • ShawnaLynn
    ShawnaLynn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When eating CORRECTLY...the body will rid of whatever it needs to..

eat your fruits, veggies, and water as recommended.....and you will be fine!

It's called eating right and EXERCISING....you won't have any energy to workout if you do the "lemonade diet"..and you will be losing muscle..not fat.
  • natyasa
    natyasa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to do another Master Cleanse starting this weekend.

I went to the Naturopath yesterday and my body is still heavy in metal and Mercury..............and my liver is toxic.

I am starting therapy to repair damage to my adrenals and thyroid, my metabolism has all but shut down.

The Naturopath also said that Atkins Nutritional Approach is a great way to weed out food allergies, which I think I am allergic to broccoli and will be testing that out to make sure......................broccoli is one of my favorite fooods............:grumble: :grumble:

Do you have mercury fillings in your teeth? I was too diagnosed with mercury toxictiy, and have long shown signs since I was a teenager - doing heavy metal detoxes certainly helped, but with 8 mercury fillings in my mouth, the detoxes were pretty much useless. Because of my fillings, I developed severe allergies (I'm talking unsightly rashes all over my face, neck, chest, and upper back), thyroid issues, parathyroid issues (had to have one removed, and now it looks like I need to have another removed).

So I'm not sure if you've looked into it already, but a simple task of getting them removed and having resin placed instead will most certainly help. I was advised that I will need to take a pill after the removal in order to rid my body of all the excess mercury leftover. *le sigh*
  • hushmonkey1234
    Options
    It's not a gimmick. It's a cleanse or detox. It was designed to treat ulcers. A Positive side effect is weight loss + a whole lot more good things. Read the book then come to your own conclusion. The grade B maple syrup is pure and natural. The sugar is natural sugar so your body can process it easier. And again. If you change your eating habits and drop 100 lbs with the best diet in the world and then go back to eating the way you use to you will gain back all 100 lbs and more.

Where would you find grade B syrup?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I just want an opinion that is backed up by clinical research. What a registered dietian says is an EXTREMELY educated opinion but is still a opinion about what effect these things do unless they have some sort of research to back it up. Same with peoples experiences. It is how it effects them, how it makes them feel, and the oft chanted placebo effect but it doesn't tell me the true physiological impact of a cleanse. I would love it if some would post some type of true research. I haven't been able to find any. The closest is the post at the link below which ends with a doctor stating “I don’t know if it works, but I can’t recommend it.” So please, if you have any medical research on cleanses post them.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-redux/

I read that guy too J. I didn't want to post him cuz it's a little controversial, but I did post a bunch of articles quoting doctors and gastroenterologists too. He seems like a smart, well informed guy though, and he allows differing opinions, which is nice to see. He actually talks about why there's no research in this article (or the follow up, he wrote 2 on it, I forget which).

As to research, the only way you could get any numbers would be to do a study on it or a clinical trial, and the only people who would pay for that kind of study (these things are extremely expensive) would be the people who sell the diet products, and they haven't done any studies (to my knowledge) other then that, doctors can only go on what's IN the products and what they know about the human digestive system, and from all the talk most doctors don't see anything magical about the product's ingredients.
    It's basically just a starvation diet with a mild laxative and bowel irritant mixed in.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that people would think that they carry so much weight in their intestines.
    When I had to prepare for a colonoscopy last fall, I had to drink some gosh awful stuff that is designed to get your colon and intestine as clean as possible so the scope can read its health as accurately as possible. It's purely liquid diet for 24 hours.

I did not have pounds of waste clearing from my intestines. In fact, I really didn't lose any weight at all, and the gastroenterologist who performed my scope said my intestines and colon were very clean.

I doubt that had I stayed on that formula for another 3 days that I would have cleared more weight from my digestive system.

As much as I love maple syrup, (grade B refers to the color and flavor which is darker and more robust than grade A) I don't think consuming it for days on end is a great choice.
  • chiccloset777
    chiccloset777 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HEY LADIES,IVE DONE THE MASTER CLEANSE AND LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT AND HAVE KEPT IT OFF. THE FIRST TIME I DID IT WAS FOR 18 DAYS AND LOST 16 PDS. I KEPT IT ALL OFF, BUT I ONLY ATE HEALTY,ORGANIC AND NO MEAT. THEN I WENT ON IT ABOUT 6 MORE TIMES AND LOST MORE WEIGHT HERE AND THERE. IVE LOST 54 PDS NOW. SO IT DOES WORK. nOW IT IS TO HARD FOR ME TO DO. i HAVE LOST THE DISCIPLINE. i THINK IT IS GOOD TO DO MAX 4 TIMES A YEAR, BECAUSE IT HAS ALOT OF DEPRIVATION. I HAVE MORE WEIGHT TO LOSE BUT IM GIVING IT A REST,IM BURNT OUT ON LEMONAID!! IT WAS GOOD WHILE IT LASTED. i WILL ONLY DO IT TWICE A YEAR NOW. IM STICKING TO A 1200 CAL A DAY DIET. aND FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CURIOUS ABOUT IT,YOU REALLY HAVE TO BUY THE BOOK,IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, IT IS MORE ABOUT CLEANSING AND HEALING THEN WEIGHT LOST.