Green Monster Spinach Smoothie

Options
Had this for breakfast and it was awesome! I wasn't sure about it at first, but once I got a good sip of it, it was so yummy! It's bright green so don't let that scare you.

Ingredients:

1 frozen sliced banana

1 Tablespoon peanut butter

1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt

1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)

4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less) - just fill the rest of the blender with spinach!

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Nutritional stats:

350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein

ETA: Whoops, I meant to put this in the "Recipes" section! Oh well, it makes sense here too. :wink:

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting! I hadn't considered using spinach in a smoothie but this sounds like a good one to try it out with.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I had this exact smoothie this morning, but I use half a banana and a little orange juice and water with less milk. But same idea, and it's really good! I've had it two days in a row now.

Found an amazing suggestion online. Buy the silicone cupcake or ice cube trays and fill them with a measured amount of yogurt, and freeze. Then portion out your fruit for x number of smoothies, and freeze. Once everything is frozen, bag it all up into a per smoothie portion and you're ready to add liquid, spinach and blend!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have this on my list to try.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine discovered these recently and swears by them. I should try it!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had this exact smoothie this morning, but I use half a banana and a little orange juice and water with less milk. But same idea, and it's really good! I've had it two days in a row now.

Found an amazing suggestion online. Buy the silicone cupcake or ice cube trays and fill them with a measured amount of yogurt, and freeze. Then portion out your fruit for x number of smoothies, and freeze. Once everything is frozen, bag it all up into a per smoothie portion and you're ready to add liquid, spinach and blend!

That's an awesome idea! I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks!
  • cmreimer
    cmreimer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm thinking that might be my lunch. Thanks for the recipe!
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love these - after a week or so you'll see a HUGE difference in your skin tone and your energy levels.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Here is a link to the smoothie portion packs. I suggest using the silicone trays, the yogurt cubes would pop right out.

http://www.savingmyfamilymoney.com/2011/11/17/recipes/diy-smoothie-packs/
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do something very similiar....amazing how much spinach you can hide in a smoothie...lol
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    spinach smoothies also taste great with cucumber!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies....it's amazing how you can't even taste the spinach!! I have one similar to yours at least 2 times a week....always mixing it up to try different ones!!
  • taylurmde
    Options
    Are you drinking this in place of a meal or as a snack? It sounds really good.
  • kellybug123
    Options
    1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
    1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen
    2 handfuls organic spinach
    1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax
    1 tbsp nut butter, optional
    1-3 ice cubes
    protein powder of choice, optional

That's the recipe I was going to try, but I'm a little scared of it....lol. Yours sounds a little bit yummier than this one. Think I might try yours first and just add some ground flax to it for my heart :)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking this in place of a meal or as a snack? It sounds really good.

I had it for breakfast and it completely filled me up. Made me feel really good for my morning workout too!
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! THANKS!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking one right now for lunch! I absolutely love that you can stuff so much fresh spinach into a smoothie an not even taste it. I did the recipe with the banana & peanut butter (I think I used almond butter though) the first time, but now I just do my regular fruit smoothie with my protein powder and add spinach - every variation I've had so far has been delicious!

Todays:

1 banana
    1/2 fresh mango (I froze the other half of the cut up chunks for tomorrow)
    1/4 cup fat free milk (could use water or juice, but hubby drank all the juice! LOL)
    1/2 container of Trader Joe's Greek Honey Yogurt (any flavor will do)
    1/2 scoop Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup of ice (if your fruit is frozen you can skip this)
    2 big handfulls of fresh spinach

Calories: 397
    Carbs: 57
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 24

Could knock the fat & calories down with different yogurt, but I indulged today with the regular Greek yogurt rather than low or non-fat. :happy:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Mine:

1 large banana
    2-3 cups of raw spinach
    1/2-1 cup blueberries
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    1 cup skim milk

No idea about the calories since I'm doing WW right now, but it's friggin delicious, and there's about 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables as well as protein in it.
  • thewobblyrunner
    Options
    I just discovered this recipe on a blog the other day too - and I've been meaning to try it. I even bought a bag of spinach, but didn't get round to using it. I keep reading that the smoothie is really yummy... I guess I'll buy another bag of spinach and give it a go!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    :happy: Bump