I have a very big announcement...

Options
tifanietiberio
tifanietiberio Posts: 76 Member
So in the past seven months, you all have really been my family. I don't have much of a real-life one, but you all really do a great job of supporting me and making me feel cared for. and as you all know, losing my Mayer in September broke my heart, but through all of your well wishes and support, i didn't fall apart and i feel like a much stronger person all around.

so i have some news- i think it is going to be good news- and no one is more surprised than i am about this, but..........

on friday i will be picking up my foster daughter from the animal shelter. her name is peppy and she is 10 months. i am *just* fostering for now (but let's be honest....) At least if i can't handle it emotionally or she turns out to be a holy terror, i know i have the option to take her back or to keep her and work really hard to find her a permanent home.

i will NEVER love another creature as much as Mayer, but i am empty without him and i need something to love and cuddle with. i think. and i think a good way to honor him is to give another pup a chance.

if you want to see her, here is her link: http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Terrier-Pit-Bull-Mix-14601868

wish me luck, i will keep you updated.

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, I wish you all the Fae luck that I have♥ I am sure she will at least fill your heart once more....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! I wish I could foster.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    As a former animal shelter worker, THANK YOU for opening up your heart and home to give another dog another chance at finding their happy ending!!!!!!!! Even more kudos because it's a pittie!! :love:
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I am a pug mom to 2 male pugs and I run the local pug rescue in my town - I take in fosters all the time and fall in love with each of them, you will know if she is right for you and if not it just opens your home for another dog you can love. I always have to remind myself of this when I want to keep them - I hope she is a good fit for you and can help fill a little bit of the hole in your heart!

GOOD LUCK!! Fostering is the most rewarding thing you can do for an animal!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    OMG, she is SOOO cute! Congrats!
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I wish I could foster - but my kitty likes to be an only child. :)
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ADORABLE! Really a beautiful dog! You are sooooo gonna keep her! :tongue:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    good for you! cute pup!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    That's very cool! I've done fostering and it's very rewarding (and challenging of course).

I'm no longer eligible to foster because the shetler I was working with won't allow anyone who owns a Pit Bull to foster dogs, regardless of the dog/owner, etc...

Now I have a Staffordshire Terrier, she is considered a "Pit Bull" according to their rules. I fostered several large breed dogs prior to that change WITH Ashley (my Staffy). I was really sad, but what can you do?
  • drog2323
    Options
    I saw an awesome pic the other day, about losing a dog/friend. I don't have the hyperlink or photbucket, otherwise i would post. its so fitting for the OP
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    =D Awwww! When I left home in August, I had to leave behind my 7 year old Rottweiler (I left him with my Grandparents and his two sisters). The breed is banned from most military bases, so bringing him along would have just lead to heartbreak and trouble down the road, so I did what was best for HIM instead of for me. I was so awfully homesick, and couldn't sleep at night without that big lump of snoring fur....so after a few months, my husband & I adopted our fur-baby, Leia, a German Shepherd! I really hope having a new puppy in your life helps you out!!!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Everytime I rescue an animal I say it's just until I find a home for them. Now I have permanently have two cats and two dogs and want more!

Good luck! I would never be able to let fosters go.
  • Salukisazuki
    Options
    Very cool :)

I too dont have much in the way of family and my dog Mildred is my rock, she is also from a shelter and over the past few years has gotten me through everything......PLUS she liked to steal all my food so shes diet effective too ;)

Dont give up if you get a problem dog though- most can be fixed/rehabilited. Milz was put in a bag and thrown into the road having been starved and beaten with ciggarettes put out on her so she has had MANY issues but shes worth the stress. they all are.

she is currently upside down on my sofa, dribbling with her tongue out the side

well done to you , and good luck
    x
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    That is great news!! I know how it feels to loose a beloved. I lost my Fergus 5.5 years ago and when he died, my soul went with him. I was totally unconsoliable. We got a puppy and I knew I would never love him as much as Fergus, but, this little guy stole my heart with his first tail wag. It is not that i love him any less or any more than Fergus, I still miss my boy, but Teagan, is not a replacement but a little boy who is totally loved in his own right.

I am happy that you are forstering!! That is a great way to help a dog in need of a home, and a trial basis.

Best of luck and Congratulations.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options

I'm no longer eligible to foster because the shetler I was working with won't allow anyone who owns a Pit Bull to foster dogs, regardless of the dog/owner, etc...

That is awful :noway: I'd understand if you had a dog aggressive dog, but otherwise why does it matter?
  • drog2323
    Options

That is awful :noway: I'd understand if you had a dog aggressive dog, but otherwise why does it matter?

totally ridiculous. we had a pitty/shar-pei mix. and he was super gentle and less snippy than our lab. but of course, mostly loser owners with pits, gave them (in some people's opinions) a bad rap! it's such a joke. Look at the owners...then talk to me.

I feel sorry for you...thats really crappy.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you wonder about their rules. Who actually makes those up?
    As for the OP, you will be just fine., you might not love the new one the same as Mayer, but you eventually will in a whole different way. Believe me, I grew up with dogs and since the first one died (when I was about 16), we had a beagle mix and now suddenly ended up with a Labrador mix (all our dogs are from the shelter). They all have been my babies - the lab is mu current big big babe. I love them all dearly, in a very individual way and it's never gonna change ^^
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your puppy Mayer. But I wish you the best of luck with your new beautiful puppy!!
  • tifanietiberio
    tifanietiberio Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    for those of you who don't know me in real life, please be aware that this "fostering" nonsense is just that.... nonsense. no one thinks i have any intention of giving her back. i am getting her from the shelter where i was the marketing director for 3 years, where i got mayer, and they're just like "ok, you can do it as a *trial* for two weeks and if you want to make it official then...but since it makes you feel comfortable now to say "fostering" we will call it that" nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

as for pit bulls being banned, etc. it INFURIATES me. i mean, it's dog racism in my opinion. mayer was a dogo argentino/pittie mix and he was the biggest baby ever. not an aggressive bone in his body. bully breeds in general are brilliant, sweet and loving creatures. the only reason they are used so often in fighting is because they are very smart and very easy to train and are so loyal and wanting to please their owners, that if the idiot owner trains them to fight or be aggressive, then that is what will happen. they arent used for fighting because they are inherently "aggressive" or "blood-thirsty". i mean the breed isn't for everyone, but to be forbidden to have one because people make blanket judgements just makes me sick.

k. that's all.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

totally ridiculous. we had a pitty/shar-pei mix. and he was super gentle and less snippy than our lab. but of course, mostly loser owners with pits, gave them (in some people's opinions) a bad rap! it's such a joke. Look at the owners...then talk to me.

I feel sorry for you...thats really crappy.

I've had my staffy since she was 6 weeks old, she's been properly socialized, spayed, leash trained, crate trained....oh good lord, you name we've done it. Well she doesn't poop on command. LOL She'll be 4 in September. Best dang dog I've ever had. I should've had my vet classify her as a "Lab" when she was a puppy (the vet offered) but I didn't see the big deal.

We even have 2 small dogs - a boston and a Lhasa/Chi/Maltese mix and she treats those 2 dogs like they are her puppies.

*sigh* Ashley even helped me with a food aggressive Rotty (which I really wanted to keep but he didn't like my husband). He was basically un-adoptable...when he left you could hand feed him wet dog food.

It does make me really sad, but my husband was actually happy because everytime we'd get a new foster there would be lots of tears once they were matched with a suitable owner and it was time for them to go. LOL Yea, I think I was the one with separation anxiety! HA!