Eating with work and school

Options
I work full time and go to school full time. Does anyone have any good ideas on eating better when you eat all three meals somewhere other than at home?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Pack your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you're short on time in the morning, pack it in the evening so you just have to grab it as you head out the door.

I've recently started preparing food on the weekends that I divide up into individual-portion size tuperware for the week. It's a pain in the butt, but it keeps me on track. I made a huge thing of eggs, bell peppers, bacon, and cheese. I've frozen that and have enough breakfasts for a week and a half. I also made a veggie dish (squash) and put that into individual portions. And I made 5 individual sized yogurts with fresh berries . This week I skillet fried hot dogs too... not the most nutritional choice, but I love hot dogs... and I divided that up. I throw everything in a bag in the morning and walk out the door. I take two meals with me most days + snacks.

If you have access to a refrigerator, you can also stock that with food, provided your co-workers don't get grumpy about you hogging space. I keep cheese sticks and fruit in my fridge at all times.

Lastly, I keep protein bars, healthy snack bars, and almonds on hand in my desk drawer. I like Lara bars, these strange Open Nature trail mix type bars (you can get them at Safeway), and then I have these kinda nasty tasting Think Thin protein bars.
  • finallygettingskinny2013
    Options
    I work part time and go to school part time. What I do is, when I go to class I'll stop at Subway and get a 6" whole grain, veggie delight and skip the chips. If I have to stop at like a McDs or something, I try to find something that small/a salad or something. Or you could pack everything the night before and bring it with you.

Hope this helps a little!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What do you normally eat? Perhaps if you have regular lunch spots, this community can help with healthier options at your regular places. I work full time and have a 3 year old, so eating healthy is a bit of a challenge. I stick with cereal, skim milk and fruit for breakfast, whole fruit for snacks, turkey sandwiches with no mayo or cheese (lots of veggies and mustard) or salad for lunch (with lo-cal dressing and only healthy ingredients), and a sensible dinner (sometimes homemade, sometimes take out). Snacking after dinner is a challenge...100 cal microwave popcorn, nuts, yogurt work well. Good luck.
  • AskBeans
    Options
    I work full time and go to school as well so i can relate , packing your food helps a lot and if you have space at your desk at work stock up on those 100 calorie snacks , drinks lots of water during the day , and bring fruits and veggies from home. As well if you can keep some protein bars or dried nuts at your desk that would be great. The office is often a temptation with brithday cakes , celebrations etc not too mention at 3 pm i always get hungry for some odd reason so this is what i have been doing and what difference ! I notice that im not overeating and by the time I get home i eat a smaller dinner cuz im not starving ! if you have to
    bring your food always go for the most healtiest take out option for me I usually get the vegeterian option if they dont have a lean meat
  • tonyasmores
    Options
    I work at a hospital so typically I will just run down to one of our cafeterias to grab something to eat at my desk. I do need to start planning better. As far as the 100 calorie packs, I like those but it seems like it isn't enough food. I haven't tried any of the protein bars but am willing to. I just know that I need to keep eating better and not go back to what I was before. I used to think nothing of running through a drive thru but now I am looking at how many calories is in that and I can't make myself eat it. :) Thank you for all of your replies, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy days to help me!!!!
  • AskBeans
    Options
    Another tip is try and eat 5 meals , so breakfast , subsatantial snack ( i.e , egg sandwich ,protein shake, half a sandwich ) , lunch , another substantial snack ( half a pb sandwich , 1 cup of chili , lettuce wrap , and then dinner ! mind you I am on the insanity workout program but its like the more i eat the less im overeating if that makes sense . If you eat out which ive come to do a lot lately just go for the healthy options and pick up fruit and yogurt , nuts, pieces of cheese in addition to your meals