Don't get this!

Options
TWO WEEKS! JUST Under my calorie target every day or a few times BARELY over--Drinking tons of water---Exercising every day---Burning calories to lower my calorie intake even more, not fun----NO WEIGHT LOSS. In fact, I've GAINED a little--almost 2 POUNDS! What a JOKE!!! I'd do just as well if not bettter if I did nothing. I don't mind WORKING for something, but working with worse results is stupid. How long will this "plateau" last!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear about plateaus anymore---something isn't working. I even bought a new scale---that wasn't it.Embarrassing! Hint- very frustrated.

If my exercise drops my calorie intake under my daily target (1400 cal) am I going into starvation mode? OR is this a period when fat is being slowly replaced by heavier muscle? I wonder how long this will take before I actually lose weight again.

Replies

• jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I understand all too well... I dropped 4.2% on the BMI scale, but still weighed 186 lbs. The running joke was that I would qualify for the Seals and still weigh 186 lbs. Are you measuring yourself? That'll tell you more about your progress than a scale will. I wouldn't mind being almost 200 pounds if I could fit in a size 6 jeans!
  • dbull12
    Options
    I made the mistake of not MEASURING and only weighing. I did measure a long time ago (at least a year) before I started this more recently again and maybe I can compare that. I weighed LESS when I measured then. But I want to LOSE weight also this time, about 50 lbs worth and I'm not getting there. Started out well now going backwards.

It's a slap--when I finally get the motivation to really lose and do all the right things, it seems now I have to go through a period of building heavier muscle before I can lose weight! I guess it eventually will be a good thing if thats whats happening.

Thanks for responding.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Dont be down on a number. Keep up your exercise and eating well, water and all.. you will master this!
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    MEASURE!!!! I do it every week and it really keeps me going. Last week I lost 1 lb, the week before I gained 1. But I've dropped 4 " off my waist, 3 off my hips, and 1 inch off my neck. Also I gained 1/2 on my biceps. So measure for sure. Muscle weighs more then fat. I know I'd be ready to quit if I hadn't measured, but since I have I know it's going the right way, and as you build more muscle your body burns more calories, so you have to give it time.

remember "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing,
    8 weeks for your friends to notice,
    and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.
    Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit!!!!

Ven
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Also, from what I understand, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn at rest... so when you're building muscle, think of it as delegating =D

You'll get there... and we'll all still be around to celebrate with you when you do =D
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Men can fluctuate a few pounds per month, and women can fluctuate up to 5-8 lbs per month. This is totally normal.

Try not to focus on the scale. Rest your measure of success on sticking to your diet and exercise plan instead. The long-term loss is far more important than the short term water weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercising or have increased intensity then your muscles will be storing water to protect them and aid in recovery. Also you should be eating back the cals you burn from exercise to ensure you are fueling your body properly. MFP already puts you in a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight even with eating 100% of calories it tells you to (this included the your original goal, plus what you burned from exercise).
  • debbyjean411
    Options
    They say going under the calories per day can put your body in starvation mode....which means you body is goint to slow your motabolism and store fat.... keep your calorie count up to your minum reqirement. (I am having the same problem)
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... My calorie goal is 1200 per day and often I dont quite reach that (before exercise). AND I dont eat back my exercise calories.... I'm also feeling very frustrated. After 23 days I font feel like I am going anywhere. I did loose some weight in my first week (water weight) but now NOTHING! So frustrated!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well first it's only been 2 weeks

Second : I do not know how many pounds your want to lose but your deficit might be to high (the next list is not mine but it is so perfect that I stole it :))

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

3rd, are you really mesuring your food properly.....if you do not have one, buy a food scale.....do not eyeball your portions

4th, if you just started exercising, your muscles will retain water.....more water equal no changes on the scale

5th, Mesure yourself. Myself, I have not lost weight in the last hummmmm 5-6 months but in the same time lost pants size.

Finally..... this is a lifestyle, not a diet..... so really, 2 weeks is nothing compared to the rest of your life, breath in, breath out and enjoy the journey
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... My calorie goal is 1200 per day and often I dont quite reach that (before exercise). AND I dont eat back my exercise calories.... I'm also feeling very frustrated. After 23 days I font feel like I am going anywhere. I did loose some weight in my first week (water weight) but now NOTHING! So frustrated!!!

You are not eating enought!!!!!
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat more! You say your coming in under your goal each day. Try eating back most of your exercise calories. That worked for me :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Then try following MFP's guideline and eat all of your calories. If you have trouble eating that much here are a few tips:
    Eat nuts, seeds and dehydrated fruit as snacks
    Avoid diet and lite foods and eat the full fat, sugar (if not diabetic), calorie version
    add olive oil to soups, sauces, and salads
    Add avocado to sandwiches and salads
    eat higher % Milk fat products, drink 2% milk instead of skim, and eat full fat cheeses & yogurts
    pair fruit with cheese or nut butters
    etc.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i agree with everyone that says to measure. i was on the scale all the time-drop a few then gain a few-very depressing. even though my weight sometimes stays the same the measurements are different. my daughter takes pics every month but i hate looking at them because even though she says she can see a BIG difference, i cant. the tape, however, doesnt lie. good luck

sherri
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    TWO WEEKS! JUST Under my calorie target every day or a few times BARELY over--Drinking tons of water---Exercising every day---Burning calories to lower my calorie intake even more, not fun----NO WEIGHT LOSS. In fact, I've GAINED a little--almost 2 POUNDS! What a JOKE!!! I'd do just as well if not bettter if I did nothing. I don't mind WORKING for something, but working with worse results is stupid. How long will this "plateau" last!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear about plateaus anymore---something isn't working. I even bought a new scale---that wasn't it.Embarrassing! Hint- very frustrated.

If my exercise drops my calorie intake under my daily target (1400 cal) am I going into starvation mode? OR is this a period when fat is being slowly replaced by heavier muscle? I wonder how long this will take before I actually lose weight again.

See a doctor and have blood work done to see if you have a thyroid issue. I did. Get advice from a doctor on how many calories and exercise you need to lose weight. I know people here are trying to be helpful, but I also believe in certain areas, like this that there is no substitute for a doctor. When I follow my doctors advice, 1000 daily for me, I lose weight. When I dont, I gain.

See a doctor.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of not MEASURING and only weighing. I did measure a long time ago (at least a year) before I started this more recently again and maybe I can compare that. I weighed LESS when I measured then. But I want to LOSE weight also this time, about 50 lbs worth and I'm not getting there. Started out well now going backwards.

It's a slap--when I finally get the motivation to really lose and do all the right things, it seems now I have to go through a period of building heavier muscle before I can lose weight! I guess it eventually will be a good thing if thats whats happening.

Thanks for responding.

Quit *****ing about two weeks. You didn't gain the weight in two weeks, so don't expect to shed the weight in two weeks.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i agree with everyone that says to measure. i was on the scale all the time-drop a few then gain a few-very depressing. even though my weight sometimes stays the same the measurements are different. my daughter takes pics every month but i hate looking at them because even though she says she can see a BIG difference, i cant. the tape, however, doesnt lie. good luck

sherri

sorry i had to edit my own post---misspelled even--i typed evern. duh :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It could be that you THINK you are eating healthy but really and truly aren't. It is almost detrimental to your body to be consuming LESS calories. Ya, you are consuming less calories but do these foods have high sugar or fat content? If so you body might think it is starving and will pull more sugar and fat from your foods to make up for it.

It could also be because you are adding muscle...and remember, muscle weighs more than fat. The good thing about muscle though is that it burns more calories...so the more muscle you build the more fat you will eventually burn.

Or maybe your body feels like you have already reached your ideal weight?

Honestly, there are lots of reasons that can be making the scale go up, or stay stagnant...such as stress, age, hormones, metabolism, lack of sleep, etc. However, stick with it! Exercising and eating right is so important, no matter what the scale says!

If you are really concerned after a month of exercising with NO results (not even measurements are changing) then seek medical advice. Sometimes a doctor will see something wrong with your metabolism or hormone levels, maybe even thyroid problems.

P.S. It has only been 2weeks. Give your body some time to adjust!!! :) You will see results. Have patience and dedication.
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm trusting that the reason I'm not losing as much as i'd like is that i'm building muscles. I have lost 1.5 inches off my waist since I started jan 3. SO that's a plus, I need to measure my arms and legs too though :)
  • jmaffett
    Options
    You probably need to eat more, or have a "free" day each week. My husband has lost 15# since Christmas and he lost nothing last week. I know he counted every single bite and he definitely worked out but he just had an off week, probably because his net calories were about 1100 per day.

Check out Bill Phillips' book "Body For Life" for information on the science of eating a bit more. Hubby followed this program a couple of times and lost a LOT of weight (like 45# in 3 months) and was down to lean muscle.