New Crockpot Owner

Options
Mandykinz2008
Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
Hello everyone. I bought my first crockpot today and need some good and healthy recipe ideas! I work a regular 8 hour a day job so it'd need to be able to cook overnight or all day while I'm at work (I typically leave for work around 7 and get home between 4-5). Any ideas are greatly appreciated..preferably affordable and freeze well so maybe I can cook during weekend and use all week. But..anything is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes in fix it and forget it - you can even find some great recipes on Betty Crocker. com etc
  • Mandykinz2008
    Options
    Thanks. Never heard of "fix it and forget it". Is that a website?
  • nheitzman32
    Options
    Go to http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ she has amazing reciepes!
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just put a whole chicken in, season it real well cut up potatoes and carrots and leave it all day. yum
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    oops, that was before my diet...i would substitute the potatoes with more veggies :smile:
  • Mandykinz2008
    Options
    hahaha thanks y'all..I'll be sure to try a lot of these out :)
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Check out ms. skinny slowcooker
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Pork Roast with the McCormick BBQ Pulled Pork Roast seasoning
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    There is a cook book fix it and forget it and a couple similar web sites.
  • BethieBoops
    Options
    I just made great refried beans. A package of dry pinto beans (or red speckled beans) 9 cups of water and 4 cloves of garlic, an onion, some ground cumin and salt. I dumped it in put it on high and 6-7 hours later, I mashed with my potato masher. They kicked butt. I think everything all together cost me less than $2 USD (about R12 South African Rands) and made about 10 servings. I serve with Salsa and a spoon of yogurt for lunch for the hubby and me, and we both love it!

Also they turn out to be only 133 cal per serving. booyah!
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Last night for my family I made Chicken Tacos. I get a bag of frozen chicken breasts (like 3-4 lbs) and put all of them in. I use a package of low sodium taco seasoning, about a cup of salsa, and a sprinkle of cummin (could leave out if you don't have). I put about 1/2 c. to a cup of water in also. I let it cook all day on low. I shred it in the crockpot and either use soft or hard shells and have tacos. Leftovers can be used for chicken nachos. My kids love it.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoover8it
    Hoover8it Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are about 3 different versions of the Fix &Forget...You will like all of them
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hermightychelle
    hermightychelle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    These sound great! Bump
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Pork Tacos:
    Fill the crock pot most of the way with water and season the water generously with cumin. Add several cloves of chopped garlic. Put a whole pork loin in and cook all day.

Remove meat from crock pot and shred. Season with cumin, salt, pepper and fresh lime juice to taste (I take 1/4 of the loin and shred and season before adding more). I usually end up using about 5-6 limes per pork loin. Makes a lot and freezes well.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just found out a few days ago that you can throw frozen foods in the crockpot & they come out fine. I haven't tried it yet, but my coworker throws frozen chicken breasts in with just salt & pepper (no water or any liquid) and says they come out tender & juicy. Sounds kind of boring, but I bet you could put in any seasoning you like. I'm going to try it sometime this week.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    (I sooooo read this topic wrong when I first read the title..)

What I really need are pre-packaged bags of crockpot ready food so that I can dump into a crockpot straight from the freezer.

I make a nice curry chicken in my crockpot.

diced onions
    diced carrots
    diced potatoes
    chicken thighs (or breasts if you want to eat healthier... but it becomes very dry. I prefer dark meat.)
    bricks of Golden Curry (comes in different levels of spicy. I get mild so my kids can eat it)
    some water. (follow the instructions on the package for curry brick to water ratio)

Cook some rice and put this on top of it. Good stuff.