88 calorie double chocolate brownies...yum

Options
This is a recipe I found on discoveryhealth.com, I made them and they are fantastic! The recipe has all the nutritional info at the bottom...

Double Chocolate Brownies
Ingredients
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium

Traditional Double Chocolate Brownies have: 260 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 165 mg sodium

Replies

• 612gemini
    612gemini Posts: 37
    Options
    This is a recipe I found on discoveryhealth.com, I made them and they are fantastic! The recipe has all the nutritional info at the bottom...

Double Chocolate Brownies
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg whites
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
    Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium

Traditional Double Chocolate Brownies have: 260 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 165 mg sodium
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Bless you for sharing....I love brownies.

I'll have to give these a try.

:flowerforyou:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sounds really good - do you think that they would taste okay if I left out the espresso powder?
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    sounds really good - do you think that they would taste okay if I left out the espresso powder?

I was wondering the same thing....not much of an espresso gal myself.
  • 612gemini
    Options
    I actually did leave out the espresso powder simply because I couldn't find it anywhere!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The espresso powder (any coffee added to choclate) heightens the flavour of the chocolate - you probably wont even notice it, and I bet many of the chocolate treats you find in bakeries and restaurants have some type of undetectable coffee flavour added.
    :flowerforyou:
  • november1982
    Options
    That sound great I will have to try that soon. Even the little things help!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks
  • 612gemini
    Options
    FYI
    I added this recipe into the MFP food database so if you make them they are in the system as Healthy Indulgence double chocolate brownies so you can log them...
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing about the espresso powder... I will be making these this week.
    Thanks!!:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    wow thanks! sounds awesome! was gonna ask same thing bout expresso powders lol sounds delicious!:tongue:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think I might have to make these this week! They sound good, and so nice to have a chocoolate snack under 100 calories. I don't have the espresso either, I'll probably make a cup of super strong coffee and add a tablespoon of that to the mix.
  • nicki17
    nicki17 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yummy! These sound soooo good. Can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing!:happy: :happy:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Must try these. I keep a weekly list of my food cravings and brownies are usually at the top of the list!:happy:
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    is this for real??? I'm about to run to the store for some cocoa powder and applesauce!! thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Oh yeah... they are to die for!
    I'll be making some tomorrow!

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I copied this recipe and printed it out! I love brownies and this will help out a bunch.
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I finally got around to making these and they are AWESOME!!!! My 4 yr old daughter loves them too. I'll be trying them out on the rest of the family tonight.

I have my fingers crossed that they won't like them.......more for me:tongue:

just kidding :laugh: kinda

but these are great, thanks for sharing.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I'm making another batch tomorrow... I am so in love with these brownies!

• Funkystarr
    Funkystarr Posts: 40
    Options
    these sound yummy! ill have to make em :flowerforyou: thanks!