What is your secret?

Options

Replies

• nikki1anna
    Options
    yikes some of you are jerks =) everyone wants to be a smart guy it seems.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I'd really rather be a funny gal, but I'm not gonna split hairs.
  • yvette619
    yvette619 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisines 4 nights a week with a salad
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Daily & Weekly goals
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    dont deprive yourself.
    stick to your plan.
    push yourself every time you go to the gym.
    stay positive.
    drink tea.
    enjoy the change, make it your own.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    My secret - get up and do something. Life makes finding excuses all too easy. Sharpen your blade an cut through the BS. You got this!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets to this. Everyone knows what they have to do with eating healthy, in moderation, and exercising. It's doing it that's the hard part.
  • BikerSueB
    Options
    It's not counting points or going on any fad diet or excercise routine that you do for 3 months or so. It really is healthy eating in moderation, with exercise and drinking plenty of water. I try not to eat after 6pm. To lose the weight permantely it has to be a forever life changing endeavor. Once you realize that, then you will be the weight you want to be.:smile:
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    better that a stupid one ;)
  • ShapingAgnes
    ShapingAgnes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets to this. Everyone knows what they have to do with eating healthy, in moderation, and exercising. It's doing it that's the hard part.

Nicely Said!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    whiskey, cocaine, hookers...
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    whiskey, cocaine, hookers...
    But all in moderation!
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Man, it's funny how many people say work hard, etc. and eat what you want. To an extent that's true. But rather than give you "secrets," I feel like tips could easily be in order, keeping in mind all our bodies metabolize and process differently.

Here are some of my tips:
    --Be strict with my diet during the weekday, so I can splurge just a bit on a Frid. or Sat. It's more a mental thing, I think.
    --Workout 5-6 days a week, including a mixture of HIIT cardio (I love interval training on a treadmill - I'm weird like that!), strength training, endurance cardio at least once a week, and stretching
    --I drink at least 8 cups of water each day, more if I have an intense workout. Whether it helps you lose weight or not, I drink to keep my stomach from rumbling for no reason. Your body often processes dehydration as hunger in its first stages.
    --I avoid 99% of snacks and junk food at work! This is such a killer, but once I made the resolve to track my food, it's amazing the junk food I've been able to not eat. On the flip side, I have a drawer filled with healthy snacks at my desk for snacks, including fruit, nuts, no-butter microwave popcorn (Orvill. Red. Natural with 50% less fat is super tasty & low-cal!), and Greek yogurt
    --I track absolutely everything I eat, even if I have to guesstimate. I think holding yourself accountable no matter what is KEY.

Ultimately, I have no magic tricks, but from the start of this journey (Dec. 20th, 2011), I've lost just about 7 pounds, which means what I'm doing works for me. Thankfully, I'm not on a very long weight loss journey, so pounds are harder to come by, but what's saved me more than once has been my accountability to MFP and sheer will power - always picturing the light at the end of the tunnel. I might hate the idea of giving up a scone at work, but then I think about that excitement I feel when I've lost weight on the scale and I know it's worth it to feel satisfied with body and my overall health.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    there is no secret!, work hard have some discipline, treat yourself once and a while, stop making excuses, sweat, dont lie to yourself, did I mention work hard?

: ) I say this in the nicest way, but truly there no secrets.

good luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's no secret. If someone tells you they have the secret, don't believe them, especially if they want to sell you something. :) Basically, make sure you eat enough, but not too much, and get as much activity as you can.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lots of entertaining replies. :laugh:

The reason this thread generated so much snark is because there are no "secrets". All of these sort of one-liner tips like "eat clean", "drink more water", "no carbs after 6", while they may coincidentally help people lose weight, are largely useless. The only tip worth noting is to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. And that's no secret at all. Yet so many ignore it and keep seeking more complicated and misguided approaches.

The more discourse we have on how to succeed at this, the more cloudy it gets.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Eat clean, don't count anything. Humans avoided obesity for thousands of years without even knowing what a calorie was.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Eat pizza. Drink wine. Work hard.

Don't forget the Oreos and bacon. Essentials to lose weight.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The only tip worth noting is to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. And that's no secret at all. Yet so many ignore it and keep seeking more complicated and misguided approaches.

So why do over 90% of people who attempt to follow this tip fail?