What is your secret?

Options

Replies

• secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lots of entertaining replies. :laugh:

The reason this thread generated so much snark is because there are no "secrets". All of these sort of one-liner tips like "eat clean", "drink more water", "no carbs after 6", while they may coincidentally help people lose weight, are largely useless. The only tip worth noting is to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. And that's no secret at all. Yet so many ignore it and keep seeking more complicated and misguided approaches.

The more discourse we have on how to succeed at this, the more cloudy it gets.
    are you telling me...if I eat less than use and workout..I will lose weight? Really?!? Frick! Now what am I gonna do with all thesetge *kitten* and whiskey : /
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1. Take it one day at a time.
    2. Don't stop because of a bad day.
    3. Try to incorporate any type of exercise at least 3 times a week.
    4. Increase your water intake.
    5. TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME :smile:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Eat clean, don't count anything. Humans avoided obesity for thousands of years without even knowing what a calorie was.

True... but they also had to hunt for or grow their food... wich be definition was clean and limited intake... now we can simply stroll into a mcdonalds for a supersize meal....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    green tea every time I'm thirsty :) and don't deprive yourself of sweets when you want them, you shouldn't have to hate eating! nestle ice cream cones (120 calories) and skinny cow ice cream (chocolate brownie = 150 calories)! ...and eggs. hard-boiled eggs and a handful of spinach are my go-to happy snacks!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised for a month because I'm lazy.
    I just don't eat over my calorie goal so I keep losing weight.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I must agree! Eat what you love, in moderation...work hard at the gym, lift weights, drink WATER!
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The only tip worth noting is to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. And that's no secret at all. Yet so many ignore it and keep seeking more complicated and misguided approaches.

So why do over 90% of people who attempt to follow this tip fail?
    They aren't eating their exercise calories!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The only secret to find out is that there is no magic secret. It's really very simple, it just takes discipline to do.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    I went to the crossroads.
  • judejacklucy
    Options
    Stove top popcorn, franks hot sauce. Spicy and pretty low cal too!!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The only tip worth noting is to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. And that's no secret at all. Yet so many ignore it and keep seeking more complicated and misguided approaches.

They don't stick with it. It takes 12 weeks to notice a difference. How many people will keep at it for 3 months without a noticable difference? This is the key, stick to it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Simply because an attempt is just the effort put forth. To have actually done it is a success. A failure means they tried and did it wrong.
  • kimberlylane16
    kimberlylane16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    dont deprive yourself.
    stick to your plan.
    push yourself every time you go to the gym.
    stay positive.
    drink tea.
    enjoy the change, make it your own.

This
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For me it was to stick to my workout plan, to keep going strong even if I didn't feel like it and to nourish my body the best that I can!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Simply because an attempt is just the effort put forth. To have actually done it is a success. A failure means they tried and did it wrong.

Exactly. Those who stick with it and follow this tip often do not fail. It works if you actually do it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

90% fail? I'm a cynic and even I don't think it's that high. I think 100% who do it whole-heartedly will succeed, unless they have a medical impairment.

Whole heartedly is the key. It means being able to measure properly and accurately, and sticking to it over time. A lot of people are in denial about how much food they consume, or how many calories they burn while exercising. Or they try for 1 or 2 weeks and give up. Or restrict calories to an unsustainable level.

Do you think those of us who have had long-lasting success using tried and true methods are part of some special 10%?
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't a secret really......Just stick at it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I don't know where you came up with that statistic from. It has worked for me and everybody on my list of friends here on MFP.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat potato chips on the elliptical. So it cancels out, ya know...
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My secret: I burn more fat and calories than I consume.