New today and going grocery shopping tomorrow?

Options
Any suggestions on shopping? I always try to get good things but I get soooo bored eating the same stuff! (oh...and cheese is my weakness!)

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Fish is my quick and easy go-to. Salmon or tilapia bought in those bags that have them individually frozen. They thaw in hot water in a minute or two and I bake them in the toaster over for about 15min after I sprinkle them with dillweed and lemon pepper seasoning.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use cookbooks and try new recipes.. and we plan our our meals and snacks and buy what we need
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Stay away from as much processed foods as possible. And try to really limit your sugar intake. People think that "fat makes you fat" well I have found that sugar is worse. I love my cheese too. I try to work some in a couple times a week so I don't feel deprived.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh fruits and veggies, tilapia, Greek yogurt, boneless/skinless chicken breasts and fat free salad dressing. I avoid the white foods such as sugar, white flour, white bread, potatoes, etc. I hope that helped. Good luck.
  • Bulldog1981
    Options
    Im huge into controlled portions. I will get the veggie pasta and split it all up! Sounds time consuming but when that day comes when you just want to grab some pasta and have some, you have that opportunity! I get the smart sause. They have different kinds. I also do the chicken singles! I spend my sunday/monday prepping all meaks except the fish and/or chicken. I also do whole wheat deli thins so I get my bread but again watching the intake!
  • Bulldog1981
    Options
    How is tilapia? I have done Haddock but that gets expensive! I wanted to try tilapia but was nervous however Im a huge seafood fan!
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    I buy fresh fruits and veggies, tilapia, Greek yogurt, boneless/skinless chicken breasts and fat free salad dressing. I avoid the white foods such as sugar, white flour, white bread, potatoes, etc. I hope that helped. Good luck.

This is my deal as well :)
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If it's your first "healthy" grocery trip, try to stock up on staples in larger quantities:
    beans
    brown rice
    oatmeal
    frozen veggies and fruit
    lean meats (chicken breast, fish -- buy value packs on sale and package into smaller bags to freeze individually if you won't use them all within a few days)
    SPICES (Mrs. Dash has lots of great ones with no/low sodium)
    healthy nuts such as almonds or pistachios

Don't overdo it on the number of fresh fruits and veggies you buy -- some will go bad quickly, so it's better to make another trip to the grocery store later in the week to pick up more produce if needed

If you are a soda addict, try a sparkling water product. Some are sweetened, but I really like La Croix coconut and grapefruit flavors -- no sweeteners with just a hint of flavor, but it gives me that cold, fizzy satisfaction that caused me to get so addicted to diet coke :)
  • MrsSYDL
    MrsSYDL Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com, thegraciouspantry.com, skinnyms.com, chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese..35 cals a wedge. I mix mine up with sunflower seeds for a bit more protein!
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    There are a bunch of healthy food lists online, I'd start by looking there! :)

Here's a pretty good one to get you started:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/daily-fix-groceries
  • lizmumma98
    lizmumma98 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia! It is a very mild fish (I can't handle "fishy" fish -lol) If you like seafood I think you would enjoy it!
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    My Staples:

Wheat Pasta
    Red Kidney Beans
    Baby Spinach
    Ground Turkey
    Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb wedges (great on crackers or as a sandwich spread
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch
    Yogurt
    Lara and or Luna bars

Good luck!
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Those are great ideas. I already do eat oatmeal almost every morning, but of course it is the high fiber maple and brown sugar! I do like tilapia with lemon so I will def get some of that. (of course I always have eaten it parm crusted) I am a huge water drinker so that part will not be a problem. I

Keep 'em comin'! ;)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cheese and almonds is a great snack to me!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I plan our dinners for the week first and buy to suit.
    Always have some chicken breast etc in the freezer for if you forget to get food in.

For lunches (I need more inspiration for mine) Prawns, Salad, Ham, Bread, Pasta, Passata (or chopped tomatoes for the Pasta) x
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh and of course this is just my opinion, but tilapia freakin' sucks! It doesn't taste like anything and it falls apart. I know this is a friendly fish for "non-fish" people, but blarg it's gross.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is the centre of my diet!

I usually steam a bunch of veges like corn, green beans, carrot, potato, broccoli, squash etc.

You can still have cheese but you just need to be VERY careful with portions. Make up your meal and if you have enough calories left for that meal then add some LIGHT cheese and weight that stuff! DO NOT eye ball it!

If you get the light cheese you'll get more for the same amount of calories.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Stay away from as much processed foods as possible. And try to really limit your sugar intake. People think that "fat makes you fat" well I have found that sugar is worse. I love my cheese too. I try to work some in a couple times a week so I don't feel deprived.

I agree! Sugar will really hold back your weight loss. Monitor it well. I love cheese too so I use Krafts fat free shredded cheese. Same taste you'd never know it was fat free. Try wraps (Flat outs are the best I've found) and you can put anything in them (chicken, tuna, or sliced beef, just add lettuce and fat free cheese with tomatoes as a filler. Watch dressings they are really bad for you and give you tons of empty calories.

I work 15 hour days so I don't have alot of time to make fancy things and yes I eat processed foods.
    My staples include Ball Park Fat Free Turkey Franks, raw almonds (not roasted or salted - you get used to them, now I love them), egg beaters, wraps and SPECIAL K CRACKERS (Sea Salt or Southwestern). Make what you enjoy but healthier versions. If you eat stuff you don't like and aren't enjoying it you will definately cheat.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My grocery store staples are: greek yogurt, sweet potatoes, bread (make sure it has at LEAST 5 grams of fiber per serving!), skim milk/unsweetened almond milk, apples, berries, a bag of baby spinach, and frozen veggies.

Also, cheese is perfectly fine! Just look for 80ish-calorie string cheese and/or 35-calorie laughing cow cheese! :)