Happy birthday to me!

Options
Dan112358
Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
Hi everyone,I just wanted to take a minute to share my story with you. I turned 35 today and am in the best shape of my life. I am a person that has always had weight problems. I was a heavy child and overweight in high school. I've spent me entire adult life carrying 230-240 lbs on my 5'9" frame. My family is very active and about a year ago I stumbled upon the myfitnesspal app on my phone. I began reading the information on here and was motivated by your stories, secret tricks, successes and failures. I am not someone who posts a lot but I do read the forums and research some of the ideas that people share. Here are some pictures of me from before:
b21a8535.jpg
8ddad780.jpg
1e986119.jpg
e533edbb.jpg
51e46791.jpgI was unhealthy and was frustrated with myself.I decided to turn things around about a year ago. I began making nutrition and exercise a priority. I never gave anything up, but eating poorly became the exception and not the rule. I was honest with my food diary and did not lie to myself when it could have been easy to do so. My wife was very supportive and helped me make better choices when at the grocery store and in restaurants. The weight loss was slow but steady. I'm not a big fan of fad diets or other products that promise unrealistic results. I ate properly and exercised moderately. I've now joined a gym so I can continue my transformation. I can now keep up with my wife & kids and our busy schedule.

Here are some pictures of the new me:

At 168 lbs:
7715098b.jpg
da1e79f9.jpg

And one more from this evening:
6bbcf948.jpg

Thanks to those who share their successes on here. Keep doing it. There are a lot of people like me who may not write much in the forums but still appreciate the information you share. If this post helps even one person gain motivation in their fitness life then I'm glad I put it on here.

Thanks also to my wife who is a role model to me. For a long time she tried to help me, I just wished I listened earlier!

Thanks again,

Dan

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Mate that is awesome! You look great.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You look *amazing*!
    Congratulations on your success and THANK YOU for being a motivator!
    :drinker:
  • Caprica33
    Caprica33 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. How did you do it? BTW, you look awesome.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! And congrats! Your progress is amazing.

I know your wife is so proud of you!
  • sweetptgrl
    sweetptgrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great Job and Happy Birthday to you.
  • amysala85
    Options
    Great job! What a difference! Happy Birthday! Tomorrow is mine 27, but not a success yet!
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you! And congrats on your great success!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your success!!!!!
  • donni123
    donni123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great job. What a transformation! Congrats and Happy Birthday.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Dude-- cograts. U look great. What u have accomplished is really difficult particularly past your twenties.

Really HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • aTROOPSTER
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Incredible. Happy Birthday!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First off HAPPY BIRTHDAY(mine is tomorrow) You've done a great job! :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Daaaaang! Your wife has some nice eye candy hanging around.

Great job!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    May I be the first to say: OH EM GEE! Wow! You look fabulous!! Happy birthday to you, indeedy!
    I can tell from your photos that you are a fun guy, full of life, and I see a great sense of humor! Love photo 3!! Please tell me that hair is fake! Lol! You have done an outstanding job!
    And don't look back, wishing you'd listened to your wife sooner, because it's the 'here and now' that matters!
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I <3 the costume regardless! But great job! Im 31 and ive gone down 109lbs and i feel younger then i did in my 20's! keep it up!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Great job - you look amazing!
  • Dan112358
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'll have to do another before & after on my 36th birthday to check in!
  • Dan112358
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. How did you do it? BTW, you look awesome.

I did it by eating more healthy foods, a lot of lean proteins and vegetables. I lowered but did not totally remove carbohydrates from my diet, especially things like refined sugars and white flour. I usually drink 4 cups of water with breakfast, lunch & dinner as well as some extra in there as well. I exercised but not to an extreme degree. I did probably an average of 1-2 30-minute cardio sessions per week. My strength training was mostly body weight stuff, push ups, pull ups, etc
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - the 24th was my 50th Birthday - Thanks for sharing your journey-the one I am just starting. Seeing that people can do this is a huge inspiration for me! Have a wonderful year!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!