to eat or not to eat?

Options
I am fairly new here and have seen a lot of people talking about eating the calories burned from exercise. I'll a little confused. I had assumed that not eating these calories would translate into faster weight loss. Am I wrong? What are everybody's thoughts and experiences on this?

Also, sometimes I don't eat all my calories for the day... (most days I'm either ok or over) in this case should i just eat something like cake that will fill up the calories even if I don't particularly want it then?

Thanks!

Replies

• nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new here and have seen a lot of people talking about eating the calories burned from exercise. I'll a little confused. I had assumed that not eating these calories would translate into faster weight loss. Am I wrong? What are everybody's thoughts and experiences on this?

Also, sometimes I don't eat all my calories for the day... (most days I'm either ok or over) in this case should i just eat something like cake that will fill up the calories even if I don't particularly want it then?

Thanks!
    my question exactly...
  • Jamie_82
    Options
    When you set your goals on how fast you want to lose weight, MFP will give you a number of calories you should net per day. That will most likely be a lot less than you're consuming right now (which is why you are needing to lose) - there are a lot of reasons to not under-eat and lose weight too fast, which hopefully someone can elaborate on. You want to make a lifestyle change, not do a fad diet.

Like you, occasionally I don't reach all my calories. Sometimes I eat a piece of fruit, but I think that if it's the exception rather that the rule you're okay.

Good luck!
    Options
    I set a goal of 1 pound per week but if I am under I will lose it faster. So, I could exercise and not eat to lose it faster or I could eat those extra exercise calories, still be going towards my goal, but the day will be a little "easier" because I won't have to be so strict. So, exercises rewards are either you lose weight faster or you get to eat a little more.
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Even though I am not an expert in any way, shape, or form, I can tell you that eating calories just to eat is not a good habit to form/continue. I know that when I eat back exercise calories, I try to eat back at least 1/2 of what I burned as protein... I basically try to get the most nutrients i can.. I almost never eat back all my exercise calories unless I don't work out very hard. I feel as if, like everything, should be in moderation. If you feel that the only thing left to eat is the kitchen table and you still have calories left, leave that table where it is. No one needs that much fiber. :tongue:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You're both right and wrong. How's that for being PC. :)

Weight loss isn't always linear. It also depends on how many calories you're burning during exercise. If it's only a couple hundred and you're not hungry, then I wouldn't eat.

However, especially the day after long runs, I get really, really hungry. So - GASP - I may not always eat my earned calories on the day I earn them. I might have a spike day the day after I run a half marathon. Some agree with this. Some don't.

Here's what my experience has been, the more hungry I let myself become the more likely I will be to over eat and that's not good. So I try to really differentiate between hunger/boredom/tired/etc. Once I decide that, "Yup. I'm really hungry," I eat something. And it may be part of my exercise calories.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When I am under on my net calories for the day, I will have nuts or some cheese and crackers or a glass of juice.
  • missris238
    missris238 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Never eat if you're not hungry - that's actually something I keep telling myself throughout this process. Listen to what your body tells you. MFP should just be a helpful tracking tool, not the end all/be all of fitness and health, so do what feels right!

With that being said, if you have some leftover room for food and you're thinking about eating, I'd recommend this: take a look at what you've eaten so far. Are there any missing or under-represented food groups? Start there. For health reasons, I would eat a handful of almonds or some raisins over a slice of cake 10 out of 10 times.

Only you have the intuition to know what's best for your body. So tune in. It takes practice (and I'm a little rusty myself), but your body will tell you how much is too much and when you want more. Soon, eating right (and REALLY eating right) should come more easily.

*Best of luck with your goals!*
  • alwayshis33
    alwayshis33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that your calorie goals are set according to your activity level. If you're not active, calorie goals are set low. If very active, calorie goals are high. These goals are the minimum you should be eating to maintain proper nutrition. If you're eating less calories & exercising, then your body is using stored calories for energy & your body can go into starvation mode for lack of nutrients. So far, I've been very successful in losing weight when I eat my exercise calories. Those extra calories are how I make up for any nutrients I'm missing for that day. My calorie intake for the day determines how much I exercise that evening. If I'm way under in calories, I won't exercise. Also, eating more & exercising more helps speed the metabolism to increase weight loss. This is what works for me...hope it helps someone out there! :~)) JustLove...
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Eat them, or at least a portion of them.

It will not hinder your weight loss. Eating these calories will promote healthy weight loss. MFP is set up so you are already eating at a calorie deficit. If you didn't exercise at all you would still lose weight. If you don't eat the exercise calories - YES - your calorie intake will be even lower - AND - you will probably lose more weight - BUT - this extra weight will not necessarily be lost in a way that benefits your body.

Not to mention that you will likely be super cranky and hungry.

If you take in too little calories, your body may use lean muscle for fuel ... and we LIKE lean muscles because they help us burn more fat :)

You need fuel!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You will see LOTS of discussion on this point. I think it's iimportant to understand how MFP calculated your daily calorie allowance, then you are are in a position to decide what will suit you.

When you set up your goals, you enter age, weight, height etc plus your activity level (this means the regular things you do day to day - walking around the house, work etc, but not extra exercise). MFP calculates how many calories you need just to stay alive, then adds extra cals to cover the regular activites in your day. You can see this number (maintenance calories) on your goals page.

Then MFP subtracts calories to give you a calorie deficit to ensure that you lose weight - ie you are burning more calories that you eat, so you will use some of those stored resources and will lose weight.

This means that the daily calorie allowance that MFP suggests already has a calorie deficit built in - you don't need to make this bigger by burning more or eating less.

The effect of making your deficit bigger is going to vary depending on your body and your situation.
    - You might find that you lose weight faster with a bigger calorie deficit. From what I've heard, it seems that this most often applies to people who have a fair bit of weight to lose.
    - You might find that your body reacts to a big calorie deficit by trying to work more efficiently and hang onto as many calories as possible. This is why some people find that their weight loss can slow down or stall if they don't eat enough.

My personal opinion is that you may as well try MFP the way it has been designed first of all. If you eat all your cals for a month or two and find that you aren't losing weight then you need to look at whehter you are logging food/exercise accurately, do you need to eat more or eat less, exercise more or exercise less etc.
    This isn't an exact science - you have to try it and see what works for you. But I don't see the point in depriving yourself of good food and nutrition when it's not necessary.

Make sure you are getting in plenty of nutritious calories - then if you have room for cake and you will enjoy it, go for it!
    If you want to eat something just to make up calories, you would be better off with nuts or fruit or avocado or salad with olive oil dressing or ... well whatever you like to eat that is going to give you good nutrition.

PS. Another thing I have an opinion on is "listening to your body". I've done this for over 40 years and it didn't do me any favours. I eat whether I'm hungry or not (within reason of course!) to make sure I am getting in good fuel for my body.
  • erica623
    Options
    That is a tricky question but the way I address it is by the end of the day if I have left over calories then if im hungry Ill eat something if not I pat myself on the back and call it a good day.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    That is a tricky question but the way I address it is by the end of the day if I have left over calories then if im hungry Ill eat something if not I pat myself on the back and call it a good day.

Love this answer :)
  • momofwish
    Options

Love this answer :)

me too.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you have been consistently below your target caloric in take for the week, and have following your plan according, use the extra calories you have earned and have a little temptation on the weekend (whatever it may be), not too much, but enough to make you get back and on track on monday