Should I Still Eat?

Options
I have 767 calories remaining. I already had breakfast and lunch. But I'm not feeling hungry at all. Should I still eat dinner? The 767 includes the calories I've burned today. I'm also confused about that, should I be eating back burned calories? Or should I just stick to the 1,200 calories no matter what? I'm very new to this sorry for all the questions.

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Make sure you get to the links on the last page. Lots of great archived articles that i read when i first got here. Good luck!
  • shasha_84
    shasha_84 Posts: 170
    Options
    If you are not hungry, don't eat. It not going to hinder weight loss at all. Listen to your body. If you are hungry then eat, if not then don't
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want to get as close to your calorie goal as possible. This includes eating the calories from exercise. The program is set up so you can lose weight while fueling your body adequately. Eating dinner is a good idea. It's only 7PM where you are, you might get hungry later.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Eat at least a little something to keep from your body going into starvation mode. It also helps to keep your metabolism at a good steady rhythm!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat something... if for no other reason than that lunch to breakfast is a long time to go on an empty stomach.

Generally speaking, here, based on information from other members and from my trainer... 1200-calorie recommendation or otherwise, don't regularly eat below your BMR or you're not giving your body the fuel it needs to burn the fat. You can find a calculator for your approximate BMR under "Tools" at the top of your screen. For better results, you should be eating more than that number.

"Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise."
  • andreacrane1
    Options
    You should always eat at least 1200 calories per day. It is important, in order to give your body the energy and fuel it needs to think, sleep, be active, etc. Eating less than 1200 could put your body into starvation mode, which can have serious health consequences. However, you don't have to eat your "burned" calories that you earn from exercise. Personally, I don't eat the calories I earn from exercising either. Just make sure you get at least 1200 per day, in order to stay healthy!
    ~Andrea (University of Texas Nursing Student)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes you should eat, that is a lot of calories left over.

I think that for many of us, hunger is really not a good guide as to when we should eat - "listening to my body" didn't do me any favours, I'm much healthier (and lighter) when I make an effort to eat a sensible amount of healthy food regularly, without waiting to feel hungry.

That doesn't mean stuff yourself just because you have calories left - in general I find that it is better to plan my meals so I have a decent sized breakfast, lunch and dinner and some snacks and I eat those (usually) whether I'm hungry or not. It doesn't mean that everyone has to eat meals like this - but that you need to experiment to see what works best for you so you are getting in good fuel to give you energy and good nutrition to keep you healthy.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I reviewed your diary and yes you need to eat. You only consumed around 800 calories and you worked out today. I never eat anything below 1200 calories net - ever - and I have lost 21 pounds since Sept. You need to fuel your body.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Fix yourself a PB & J with a banana and a nice glass of milk and that should about get you where you need to be.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have 767 calories remaining. I already had breakfast and lunch. But I'm not feeling hungry at all. Should I still eat dinner? The 767 includes the calories I've burned today. I'm also confused about that, should I be eating back burned calories? Or should I just stick to the 1,200 calories no matter what? I'm very new to this sorry for all the questions.
    Yes, and yes.
    Eat, and eat back your exercise calories.

Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i guess i will have a healthy snack tonight , thank you.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, don't eat. It not going to hinder weight loss at all. Listen to your body. If you are hungry then eat, if not then don't

I always thought that too... but really you should eat even if you are not hungry if you are very low in calories... otherwise- hungry or not- your body will think it's starving and hang on to every bit of fat it can. Make yourself something yummy that you can't refuse! ;-) lol.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    NOT This!
    Your body is lying. EAT!
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    NOT This!
    Your body is lying. EAT!

thank you!!! will be fixing myself a sandwich with some fruits !
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would eat a little snack at least, so you're not going 18 hours without food. Eating below your goals for one day is not going to put you in starvation mode, but don't let it turn into a habit!
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    I would eat a little snack at least, so you're not going 18 hours without food. Eating below your goals for one day is not going to put you in starvation mode, but don't let it turn into a habit!

Oh no ma'am. I will be fixing myself something to eat right now. I was curious if it was okay or not. Fairly new to this, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Make sure you get to the links on the last page. Lots of great archived articles that i read when i first got here. Good luck!

this
  • BettyyRoss
    Options

this

funny!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yes, and yes.

Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.

MaximalLife is a smart guy, I would take his advice.

Be careful with the 1200. Unless you are really short, it doesn't give you much wiggle room before you fall into the "underfed" category. Especially if you are exercising regularly.
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    Yes, and yes.

Be efficient.

MaximalLife is a smart guy, I would take his advice.

Be careful with the 1200. Unless you are really short, it doesn't give you much wiggle room before you fall into the "underfed" category. Especially if you are exercising regularly.

I'm 5'2. Is that really short? lol