bread

Options
I'm looking for a low cal bread/wrap or cracker to make my sandwiches. I usually use flat out wraps, but looking at the ingredient list makes me think twice. Any suggestions for more natural alternatives?

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about making your own bread? I want to do this as I know many people who have their own bread makers. You can control what ingredients go into it.

i don't know of any low cal breads as I try to limit my bread intake.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I don't know the ingredient list but 35 calorie wheat bread is what I always use. Can't beat 70 cal for two slices of bread
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sara lee 45 calorie delightful. It's amazing!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't go low cal for bread - really there doesn't seem much point in eating something that has so little nutrition, you may as well just have a salad without the bread.
    I would rather have one piece of bread that is crammed with whole grains/seeds/nuts etc so I kinow I am actually getting some nutrition from it, rather than 2 pieces of a bland salad holder with no nutrition.

But hey, that's just my opinion!
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    Light whole wheat bread is usually between 40 to 45 calories a slice or just replace the bread with lettuce, or scope out the inside of the bread.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Lavash Bread. I can usually find it at Walmart. An entire flatbread is about 100 cals and makes a HUGE wrap. Sometimes I only use half for a smaller snack wrap.

JosephsLavashBread.JPG
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to make your own tortillas, if you're concerned about the ingredients. :smile:

Personally I do like the Dempster's 10" whole wheat tortillas - they're just the right size to wrap around a few slices of meat and a small handful of greens. But the ingredients list... well, yeah. It isn't exactly "natural".

If you can find it, Silver Hills Bakery makes a lower-calorie sprouted grain bread. I love their breads. http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/products/sprouted-bread/little-big-bread
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use Wonder Bread Smart Wheat. 100 calories for 2 pieces, no hfcs, added calcium, lower sodium
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Lavash Bread. I can usually find it at Walmart. An entire flatbread is about 100 cals and makes a HUGE wrap. Sometimes I only use half for a smaller snack wrap.

JosephsLavashBread.JPG

Joseph's has several products that are low cal, lots of fiber & low net carbs. I love them. With the fiber they are very filling.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I don't go low cal for bread - really there doesn't seem much point in eating something that has so little nutrition, you may as well just have a salad without the bread.
    I would rather have one piece of bread that is crammed with whole grains/seeds/nuts etc so I kinow I am actually getting some nutrition from it, rather than 2 pieces of a bland salad holder with no nutrition.
    But hey, that's just my opinion!

What type of bread do u eat that's so nutritional? Healthy life high fiber wheat bread for 2 slices is 70 calories 5 g fiber 5 gram protein. For example Sara lee hearty wheat has 100 cal a slice and 4g fiber 5 g of protein. I'll take the two slices and save the 30 cal
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread... or bread made from sprouted wheat.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread... or bread made from sprouted wheat.

This ^ or just eat the filling.... that's my opinion!
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also use a 35 cal. bread. I have tried both Healthy Life and Heiner's and prefer the Heiner's. I also enjoy making my sandwiches as wraps in large Romaine Lettuce leafs and using a Walden Farms blue cheese dressing with it.... YUM! Hardly any calories that way and eat until you're full! :)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I have the time I like to make my own homemade bread as for it, tastes better when homemade and if made right it costs less, and are healthier.
  • misskittygirl
    misskittygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the Orowheat sandwich thins and I really love them. 100 calories and make a great sandwich...I toast them, put Waldens French dressing on it (0 calories), spicy sprouts and a grilled chicken breast. FANTASTIC meal! Here is a pic on my Pinterest
    http://pinterest.com/pin/285978645057762571/

I also sometimes put a teaspoon of Cotilla cheese on the chicken when I heat it in the micro (about 20 extra delicious calories).
  • MJM57
    MJM57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found Joseph's Flax Oat Bran Whole Wheat Pita are a great wrap for anything. Good nutrition values: 60 cal, 2 fat, 4 net carbs, 0 sugar,6 protein. And can also be found at Wal-mart.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    google lectin. Then make your mind up.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory tortillas. 50 calories, they are yummy or thinwiches
  • lovinglife1001
    Options
    I eat Nature's own 100% whole wheat bread or sandwich thins
    Has good fiber content and is low fat.