Is it better to eat a chocolate bar or go hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    if you have eaten plenty (ie most of your calorie allowance) of nutritional food, then filling in with something that you'll enjoy but doesn't give you much nutritional value is great.
    If your calories are very low already, then your nutrition is going to be very low - so choose wisely before you start adding chocolate.

And in addition to my random rant above, I agree with the above statement.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    without guilt but without excess.
    Without guilt. Without excess.

Needs to be a T-shirt.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think something "fun" every so often is a good thing. I had 200 cal or so left over yesterday, so I ate a dark-chocolate covered peppermint Joe Joe from Trader Joe's. Totally satisfying as a dessert, and 150cal, so not too terrible.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    without guilt but without excess.
    Without guilt. Without excess.

Needs to be a T-shirt.

Hell yeah, this might be my new motto!
  • skstogsdill
    Options
    My calorie allowance, without working out, is 1410 for one pound of weight loss a week. Its pretty easy for me to reach that limit, I wish it was hard for me to eat enough to reach my goal!

But I've seen several people on here express the same thing. I'm wondering.... are you eating enough healthy fats? i.e., Almonds, avocados, olive oil. Just because a food is low-cal doesn't meant its worth eating. Yes, fats have more calories, but your body needs them, and if you're having trouble hitting your calorie goal, I'd recommend trying to incorporate them if you're not getting them already. AND, you'll have a much better level of satiety, so you won't crave that candy bar as much.
  • rainedays86
    rainedays86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How I see it is...if you really want chocolate and you have the calories to spare then go for it! If you are just looking to fill your remaining calories then go for something calorie dense and healthy. Any kind of nuts are a good filler. You don't have to eat very many but you get a pretty good amount of calories from them and healthy fats. Peanut butter, beans, avacados, bananas all offer healthy fats and are slightly more calorie dense. Good luck!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified that I normally Do reach for the healthier snack to bump up my calories.... my fav is cheese and cucumber on crackers with dip.... so good healthy calories and I enjoy them....

But sometimes I just don't feel like any of my healthy options, and I will eat a chocolate bar or some other "bad" treat because it can tempt me where other foods can't JUST to get my calories up and I wonder if those BAD calories are a waste of time or are they just as good as the cheese and crackers as far as "calories" go
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    tbh i do something similar quite often. ill eat my daily calories of mostly healthy stuff, add in my protein shake for after my workout, and then if theres extra calories left over after i log the exercise and i feel hungry, ill have some chips or candy or a pepperoni stick.. pretty much anything that can be found at a gas station >.>