? about portion control

Options
Hi, I am new to MFP and have been enjoying it very much so far. I need some help, though. If this topic is addressed elsewhere, feel free to direct me. My problem is portion control. How have you overcome temptations? For example, each of my three kids had bags of M&M's that were 2 servings per bag. I have a huge sweet tooth, and with any candy or sweet stuff, I cannot stick to the alloted portion amount. I always have to eat the whole bag because it's there! I try not to bring this stuff into my house, but that's not always possible. I have even tried portioning snacks into baggies, but if I am on a binge and not satisfied, nothing stops me from grabbing some more. Help!

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    don't take the first bite and you won't get out of control:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

walk (or run) away from temptation.

the longer you don't eat sweets, the less you will crave them

The reason most people fail instead of succeed, is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Cut it out completely on most days. Have a cheat day where you can eat sweets but even then *try* not to overdo it. You might fail, but at least you have the night to sleep it off and reset.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Try logging the entire amount in your diary before eating it, then look at the numbers and make a decision. I have found that seeing things in black and white (or glaring RED) makes a huge difference to me. It can really help diminish the craving. If you have the calories available, mind you, you could always eat them. I find I don't really want them if I see how much "room" in my calorie allotment they take up - helps me enjoy an actual serving. Just a thought. Good luck.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It sounds like there is something more to your eating then just hunger. You need to get down to why you are eating and take it from there. For me a lot of times it's emotional, and I've learned to see patterns of bad choices based on emotions and even boredom. Sweets and treats are my favorites and I'd never allow myself to not have any but I also play games with myself like having to work out before I'm allowed the mini chocolate bar, or even better I tell myself "if you still want the cupcake tomorrow you can have it" and most of the time, by the next day, I no longer want that item. It also helps to actually stop and think about what you are going to eat and why, Ask yourself if you are really hungry? if you don't know drink a glass of water, there are times when we are thirsty and we mistake thirst for hunger so we mindlessly eat. Things may be different for you, but those are just a few things that help me. Trust me it's hard at first to stop at one serving but after a while you will learn to stop there, and actually feel good and empowered that you are able to say no to something that kept you bound for so long.
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of special, just-for-me chocolates that I keep in a different cabinet. I choose those small, individually-wrapped Doves and will stick 1 or 2 in my lunch bag before work. That way, I don't have to miss out on sweets, but I pass up the random candy and just opt for my well-planned, perfectly-portioned treat that I control!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Try logging the entire amount in your diary before eating it, then look at the numbers and make a decision. I have found that seeing things in black and white (or glaring RED) makes a huge difference to me.

^^This

I also will measure out a portion and put the rest away, rather than taking the bag and saying to myself I'll only eat half. Because I won't. I'd eat them all.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1. avoid completely until you are confident of your resistance skills
    2. count/measure out one portion and put the rest away. In extreme cases (trust me, I know) you may have to just throw the rest away, out the door, down the toilet, whatever.
    3. Log absolutely everything into MFP. You may decide it's worth 90 minutes of cardio to eat the candy. By the way, the best time to do that cardio is right after you eat the candy, while it's still in your bloodstream and before the insulin comes around to scoop up the excess and store it in fat pockets where you don't want it.
    4. remember, even if nobody sees you eating it, IT STILL COUNTS! maybe this seems obvious, but the true sugar addicts understand eating the sweets in the store parking lot and getting rid of the trash so nobody will know and it will be as if it did not even happen!
    5. Last resort: eat whatever you want, but do it naked and watch every bite in a mirror. :))

But seriously, it comes down to what you have decided you want for yourself, and what you are willing to do to get it. I realized that I have eaten more than my fair share of desserts for this year, but I ate them all last year! It is only your hand, under your control, that puts the food into your mouth. You do have control 100% of the time.

Might like to get a copy of a little book called "Taming the Feast Beast" online, to see if it helps you. Good Luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it in your house. If you have to give your kids treats, give them healthier alternatives. Get trail mix that has a little bit of m&ms in them. It's much healthier for them, and if you have some, you're not eating just straight chocolate. Or you could try the organic aisle of candy in your grocery store. I know in my Kroger, we have chocolate covered pretzels and almonds and things like that and they're all natural, so would be much better for you than pure, processed sugar.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Try logging the entire amount in your diary before eating it, then look at the numbers and make a decision. I have found that seeing things in black and white (or glaring RED) makes a huge difference to me. It can really help diminish the craving. If you have the calories available, mind you, you could always eat them. I find I don't really want them if I see how much "room" in my calorie allotment they take up - helps me enjoy an actual serving. Just a thought. Good luck.

I had never thought about this, but that is a big help as I find when I do not have time to log and do it all at the end of the night I wind up over, so this is a great idea.
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of special, just-for-me chocolates that I keep in a different cabinet. I choose those small, individually-wrapped Doves and will stick 1 or 2 in my lunch bag before work. That way, I don't have to miss out on sweets, but I pass up the random candy and just opt for my well-planned, perfectly-portioned treat that I control!

I do the same...allow myself one ferrero rocher hazelnut ball....(okay, sometimes two!) but I feel that I satisfied my sweet tooth and then don't think about it again until the next day...and in spite of this daily indulgence, so far I have still been losing!
  • silverbullkitty
    Options

I do this too; now and in the beginning of my MFP journey. For me, it really helps put a damper on the craving!
  • Bulldog1981
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts so forgive me if I repeat something already stated. I will usually spend Sunday or Monday preping my food! I will buy a box of veggie pasta or anything that contains more than one portion and separate. That way I can never eat more than allowed. I will go as far as pre-cooking some meals and putting them in small tupper ware containers so I only take one container out and heat it up and eat just that! Sound like work? Well honestly in the beginning it was but now, I love that day when I am separating or preparing foods for my week and I can look forward to trying new dishes as well! As for the sweety tooth problem I would get the individual wrapped doves or lindt. Tell your self one or two. Good luck, hope I helped in some way!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options

This works for me too!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options

This works for me too!

Definitely!!! This helps me a lot. And really helped at the beginning.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know, I've been using MFP for over a year now (370 days in a row, to be precise!) and I still have days when I find it tough to stick to a sensible sized portion. I'm much better at it that I used to be, but sometimes I don't get it right.

There are some great ideas here already - I really like the idea of logging it in BEFORE you eat it all. Sometimes I just don't buy that kind of junk so I don't have to risk the temptation (I have been known to walk through the supermarket talking to myself: "walk away from the chocolate, Bella"!

And another thing to think about is.... WHY? Why are you eating like this? I found a book by Gilian Riley called "Eating less" had some good ideas and good strategies to help with this kind of behaviour, you might like it too.

Good luck, don't give up. In spite of some serious junk binges I'm 22kg (nearly 50 pounds) lighter than I was a year ago so it is possible!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    5. Last resort: eat whatever you want, but do it naked and watch every bite in a mirror. :))

Ahahahah thisss<33
  • darconnor
    Options
    good thread.

BUMP
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I too log it first and then see if I can really *afford* to eat it and how much. If I've been doing great, yeah I might eat the whole bag but most days I end up savoring just a few treats. Lately I've been having a treat of 5 pieces of licorice (that's a third of a serving, they're tiny!) but I make them last for crazy long by taking the teensiest bites ever!