Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running when it's Hot and Sunny out.... tips?

dsak
dsak Posts: 367 Member
I know many people are in the midst of a true winter with snow, freezing temps, ice, etc., but.... down here in NE Florida, it is currently 79 degrees outside and sunny. I don't mean to rub it in.... it's just a fact to share, and it has relevance... I swear. Anyway, I went out for a run today (only 4 miles).... at noon (bad timing, I know... hottest part of the day), and I was having a hard time. I always have a more difficult time when the temps rise above 65... especially when it's sunny out. I just don't seem to have the same stamina to keep on running. This obviously isn't good.... since I live in FL, and it will only get worse when it becomes more humid out. That is even more difficult for me. I'm a fairly new runner (about 6 months), and I usually run between 3-5 miles, 3-4 times a week.

So... I was just wondering... for any experienced runners.... what tips do you have for running in the heat, humidity and sun? Anything I can do to make it more enjoyable so that I'm not struggling out there?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    A hat helps with the sun. And make sure to drink enough water throughout the day.

But, it will get easier if you run in the heat for about two weeks to acclimate.. Your blood volume and sweat rate will increase. And you will lose less electrolytes in the sweat.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Here in Texas, it's usually 100 degrees or more for over a month straight in the summer. My only advice is to dress in light clothes, stay hydrated, and keep trying. You will build up your stamina for it over time. I've had people yell "you're crazy!" when they see me running on a hot summer day. :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Here in northern central CA, it get very hot in the summer too - basically over 90 from late June/early July to October. But it's very dry, so my techniques might not work for you.
    1 - run at night
    2 - light coloured, light weight clothes
    3 - lots of hydration
    4 - keep your head moist
    5 - arm coolers
    6 - hit as much shade as possible
  • dsak
    Here in northern central CA, it get very hot in the summer too - basically over 90 from late June/early July to October. But it's very dry, so my techniques might not work for you.
    1 - run at night
    3 - lots of hydration
    4 - keep your head moist
    5 - arm coolers

What are arm coolers?
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Run on a treadmill in A/C! :happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Sports bra, as short of shorts as you can handle (I wear biking shorts so they don't ride up as badly), hat, sunglasses, little spf depending on how long you're staying out. 30 minutes or less, you can forgo it. Your body can use the Vitamin D!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Stay hydrated. Run early. Honestly, clothing can only make so much of a difference when it's so hot and humid, nothing can wick away that much sweat. I trained for a marathon over the summer (my first summer in the South) and there is nothing you can do when the heat index is at 110+ and you have to run.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    1 - run at night
    3 - lots of hydration
    4 - keep your head moist
    5 - arm coolers

This, well not sure what ARM coolers are bit the rest.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Early morning runs. Start before sun up and finish up in great form to start your day.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    If you can, run before the sun comes up. I'm in Texas, that's what I do in the summer. Getting well hydrated the day before you run is key as well. Also a hat and if you're running over an hour in those temps, make sure you have access to water. Oh, and try to run through sprinklers :tongue: (not really kidding)

You do get used to it, but it is very taxing.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I actually prefer the hot to the cold! I'm having to make myself go out, and most days when I run in the afternoon it is in the 50's. I'm such a wimp in the cold.

In temps below 90, you should be fine as long as you stay in the shade. And don't try to work on speed! Just concentrate on finishing at a nice steady pace. Or even take some intervals where you walk.

When it goes above 90, and especially when it's humid, hit the pool! bonus--(swimming does such nice things for your shoulders and arms!)

So glad I'm a southern girl!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Hydration, hydration, and hydration. I am from California and trained down in Camp Pendleton as a Marine. We drank water the night before and a couple hours before a long run. Not just sipping on it but liters worth. It all depends on your distance but either way stay hydrated. Wear whats comfortable for you but try to to avoid the blaring sun directly on your skin.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    I checked your profile and saw you are in Jax. We ran this evening and it was still pretty warm out 77 degrees when we started at 6pm. Try running in the morning or we like to run the Bridges downtown. There is usually a breeze coming off the river. If you continue running as the temps warm up you can run all through summer. On really hot days I will carry water unless I know there are water fountains. Hope this helps.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I know what you mean, during summer here most days are 95F +, and the sun rises at 6am. I generally get out there early if I can, or go and do a workout in the gym... when the airconditioner is on... not like this morning grrr
  • dsak
    Thanks everyone... I appreciate all the feedback!!! I may have to try and run very early and out of the sun. And... like y'all said.... make sure I'm well hydrated!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member
    Hottest run was at 110 here in AZ. Last summer, the average temp for my run was approx 105. So here's my advice (similar to many others here):

- Hydrate early and hydrate often. You should be peeing 'clear' before you step out the door for your run.
    - Make sure your potassium, calcium, and sodium levels are sufficient before you run. A multi-vitamin and sound diet take care of this.
    - Hat, glasses, white long-sleeved shirt, neck gaitor, and sunblock are a must! Cover your ears if you can.
    - Choose a route that puts in you in the shade as much as possible. I run a route around a mountain, so I choose to save the shady side for the back end of the run.
    - If you are running out-and-back, choose to run into the wind on your way back. This will aid in cooling.
    - Carry sufficient water during your run, choose a route that takes you near water sources, stash water bottles along your route, or loop back to your house or car. Many people carry Camelbak packs, which can hold 40-100oz of water.
    - Carry your cell phone in case you need help.
    -Carry a bandana
    - If you feel dizzy, sit in the shade, and place a soaked bandana around your neck. This will cool the blood running through your carotid arteries. Stay there until you feel better.
    - If you can, stay off of sidewalks and asphalt. They hold so much more heat than dirt trails.
    - Run near lakes, streams, or canals. The water cools the surrounding air more so than not.
    - Worth repeating --- hydrate early and often. If you feel thirsty during your run, you are dehydrated. Don't mess with your life. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Obviously avoiding the heat is the best option (run at sunrise), but my answer assumes you can't do that.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Get a big floppy hat. I like girls in big floppy hats. :)

Carry a water bottle.

Don't worry about your time, go by your heart rate.

Just enjoy being outside and after awhile you'll get acclimated and you'll see your times start to come down a little.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Get out early in the day, wear a hat (preferably one that breathes) and sunglasses, keep drinking and slow down. And think carefully about your route - if you have a choice of running near a park or on the streets, pick the coolest one, grass is probably going to be a few degrees less than concrete.

It's going to be 40C every day for the next week or so here (Western Australia) so I'm going to be up and at it early for the next few days!
  • So jealous of all of you! I'm a runner from Seattle, so I've been running in rain & snow for the past few months :(
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Tampa runner here, was a sunny 80F with a slight breeze when I did my lunch run yesterday. But I thought it was perfect, lol. Every one is different. Not looking forward to the mid-90F with high humidity summer weather though.

A hat for runners, one that vents and is moisture wicking, helps a lot. So do sunglasses. Wear moisture wicking garments in general. Make sure you are hydrated. Do you have real running shoes? Most running shoes vent much better than normal cross trainers.