Do you exercise everyday?

Options
I have been exercising for the past 14 days straight. I was wondering if you normally take one day off and if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    I suggest to take at least one day off per week. You run the risk of overtraining and derailing your whole plan if you push too hard.

That said....I don't always listen to my own advice :) My husband has specific days (M/W spin, T/Th/Su lift) and he refuses to switch it up (stubborn old man) whereas I just go on how I feel. If I'm feeling worn out, I give myself a day off or just jog a couple miles. If I'm bouncing around with energy I will do crossfit in the morning and lift with hubby in the afternoon. Listen to your body.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have one day of lighter exercise, and one day I allow myself to take off. It gives my body and mind a chance to recover from five tough days, and it's usually when I see my loss for the week.
  • spulido01
    spulido01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Was hoping to get more responses.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I TRY to exercise everyday >.> but if I am too tired from work... not always.

I set my goals as at least 20 minutes a day; 5 days a week. I try to give myself at least ONE day off a week :D
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you are doing. Your body will tell you if you are over training, but if one of your days is lighter than the rest and your are not over doing any muscle groups, then I see no problem with it.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I take one day off a week when I only do a stretching routine, no cardio, no resistance.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My current program has me aiming for a 500 calorie burn 5 days a week, a 1000 calorie burn once a week, and a rest day. I try to do more than the 500 each day so that I don't have to worry about getting to the 1000 calories that one day - it's more than 2 hours of exercise for me, which I just can't do.

Rest days are a must...
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you go pretty crazy, I would. I usually do 5 days a week, and work my 1-2 days off into my schedule (if im outta town, or workin 12-16hrs ill rest the next day). When I'm on a 2 or 3 week stretch of exercise, there's usually a pretty light cardio day somewhere in there.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I try to workout 6 days a week, 3 cardios and 3 strength wkouts, 40 min each day, I usually take Sunday's off.......
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In general, I think it is a good idea to have a day off - especially if you are new to exercising or it is particularly intense. It doesn't mean that you have to lie in bed all day - but if you run most days, then take a day where you go for a gentle stroll or have a swim.
    Remember that when you are exercising you are causing little tears to the muscles when you put them under stress and having a rest day or a light day gives them a chance to heal. It also gives you a better chance of staying motivated and not burning out too soon.
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't plan days off but I know there may be a day that I just can not work out and I just don't let myself feel badly because it's my one day off for the week or something.
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I workout every day, and take a rest day when my body needs it only. I love to exercise, and feel lazy on days that I don't.
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I kind of go with how I'm feeling or how my schedule goes...amount of activities or homework I have as I'm in college...but I try to go about every day more because I feel really good after my workouts so I go because I know I'm going to feel better when I'm done. I've only been working out for a couple of weeks and I'm already up to running for about 5 minutes (not very fast but hey, gotta start somewhere)

So I agree...if your body needs a rest, do it...if you're doing alright then continue- just don't completely stop--that's what I find myself doing if I stop for a day or two.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey, I worked out 7 days a week. I felt like taking a day off would cause me to backslide and undo all my hard work. It didn't take long before my body started to rebel. I over trained and I ended up with injuries. After I recovered, I started working out 4-5 days a week/60 mins each time. Every 4-6 weeks, I would take an entire week off from the gym.

Your body NEEDS to rest. It needs to be able to relax and recover from working out.
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I go by how my body feels.

I plan out an entire week's worth of exercise and I do my best to abide by it, but I don't beat myself up if I miss or skip a day. I also push through muscle soreness, but the minute I get angry joints I rest.

For me, I do exercises that I enjoy... so doing it every day in my mind is a privilege :)
  • xbabyblueyez21x
    Options
    You have to take time off to let your muscles recover...working out 14 days straight might seem like a great plan but without giving your muscles time to recover you are actually not doing yourself much good working out so much. I work out 5 days a week and give myself 2 days off. I usually don't take more than 1 day off in a row and I don't take the same days off each week, just depends on my schedule for the week.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    2 days on 1 day off
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I exercise different parts of the body every day, to allow a days rest between them.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I do 5 days a week mostly. Maybe a little walk when I take my dog out on the day I'm not going to the gym and trying to work out. I think 4-5 days a week is very good, especially if you are coming from not exercising at all. I think some people jump in too enthusiastically to a new program and then they burn out. Working up to changes may let it stick longer. It's good to let your body rest especially if you are working out hard daily. If you feel better getting a walk in every day or something that is different. I just wouldn't set your goals too aggressively so you don't feel defeated if you can't meet them and then give up.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Depending on the individual , working out can be an every day thing or an every OTHER day thing.

In my experience, I once started to exercise daily. Pure cardio every day. It was stupid for three main reasons:

1) Bodies need rest periods to recover to avoid over-exertion
    2) its important to work on different muscle groups throughout the week
    3) Pure cardio burns fat, but building muscles in turn quickens how much fat a body can burn every day (more muscles, the more energy you need to sustain them)

I was doing the same exercise (jogging) daily, so same muscle groups for the same intervals exerting the same amount of energy a day while building no muscle.

Sure, I got MASSIVE results VERY quickly - 110kg down to 100kg in three weeks (3.3kg a week).

But then I stopped. I was burnt out. I couldn't keep up that lifestyle.

And here is the buzz word that is the crux of my post - lifestyle. When you're considering exercise and diet routines its important to fit it into your lifestyle so you can maintain it. If you choose a lifestyle that you cannot maintain, eventually you will fall back to your 'preset' lifestyle, which put you in this position of needing to lose weight to begin with.

Exercise as often as you can, so long as you don't burn yourself out. Remember: it's far better to run once a week for a year, then run 7 days one week and never again.