Healthy Suggestion Snacks for my Lunch Box :)

Options
Hey I need some help finding some healthy snacks for my lunch box that I take to TAFE, any suggestions?

I've been taking just a fat free yogurt or Banana and one whole grain sandwich most of the time but it's a lot harder to maintain a healthy eating when the choices are limited and you get sick of the same foods.

I'm refuring to things like Cheese dip but if there's a healthier version or maybe precut veges that you can buy from a supermarket.

Any help is appreciated :)

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    wheat crackers & hummus.
    carrots and peanut butter
    celery and peanut butter
    red bell peppers and reduced fat ranch dressing
    apple and peanut butter
    oranges
    apple and string cheese
    wheat crackers & string cheese

the possibilities are endless.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    I am wild about Pillars Turkey pepperoni. Only 50 cal per stick. 2 sticks with a cup of tea is a perfect snack that will hold you for a couple hours! The new SunRype Just fruit & grains bar is also fantastic as the fruit plus seeds and grains are enough to hold you over with a tea or water :) 130 calories.
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Well I like salsa because its low calorie and you can dip anything in it, I usually like to use carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Its sounds kind of yuck but its really good. And salsa can come in fun flavors like mango (you can get that at trader joes I think).

Also fruit is great, I like bananas because you get potassium from it. And you can always add peanut butter to it to make a really yummy snack, but don't go over board because 2tbsp pb = 220 calories. So I usually stick to one tbsp of pb plus banana.

I love greek yogurt versus regular yogurt because you can get more protein that way.

Also there is a variety of granola bars, they are always great but make sure you read the labels before you consume to be sure you stay within calorie budget. And to make sure that it doesn't have too much crap in it.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    wheat crackers & hummus.
    carrots and peanut butter
    celery and peanut butter
    red bell peppers and reduced fat ranch dressing
    apple and peanut butter
    oranges
    apple and string cheese
    wheat crackers & string cheese

the possibilities are endless.

Thanks for the answers guys, they're really helpful :)

Any chance of getting these in an actual pack? I'm not lazy or anything it's just easier to put an actual pack item on my parents shopping list as apposed to random items haha.
  • swood0114
    Options
    In the beginning of the week, I'll slice up the veggies or fruit I want, measure them out, and put them in little bags. For peanut butter I do the same just by measuring out 2 tbsp into tiny tupperware containers.

I also love white cheddar rice cakes (salty crunchy 45 calories) spread with a 35 calorie babybel light queso triangle. (Those quesos are just good on EVERYTHING in general!)

I'f you're craving something sweet in the afternoon try Kashi TLC dark chocolate oatmeal cookies. They're hearty and filling and soooo tasty at 130 cals.

I agree also with those who bring greek yogurt. Personally I buy the plain kind 0% and mix a whole cup with some splenda and vanilla... Its better than all of the sweetened fruit because it keeps the calories lower while you get to fill up on more!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks or apple slices and hummus or nut butter (my grocery has these pre-packaged but I cut my own)
    Kashi TLC granola bars (lower in sugar than many others)
    almonds or other nuts (I love the Blue Diamond flavored almonds)
    Dry roasted edamame
    Dry roasted soybeans and dried fruit (the soybeans are very dry so the sweet fruit makes a nice contrast)
    Trail mix (check the sugar content of pre-pkg as it's usually very high, or make your own)
    fruit
    whole grain crackers and pb, hummus or laughing cow wedges