veggggies!!! need advice

Options
I am doin MFP along with scottish slimmers (kinda like scotlands versions of weight watchers) .... previously lost 5 and half stone with scottish slimmers but got lazy n put some of it (not all) back on....

anyway..... with scottish slimmers they tell you veggies are "FREE FOODS" and you can eat as much as you like and you dont need to count them on you daily allowance.... so i dont. and in general eat LOTS of veg and salad stuff
bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomoatoes, carrots, brocolli, lettuce, cucumber, ETC ETC

however on MFP i see a lot of people logging all the veggies, which with the amount i snack on after i counted, can add up to over 350 calories alone.

just wondering if should start logging all the veg or contuinue as the weight is dropping off regardless of counting the veg???

what you guys think???

Replies

• sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would, just so you know what you're putting into your body. I agree that eating all the veggies and fruits you want is the best way, but it's also nice to see where your fiber, sugars, carbs, etc are coming from. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Why not?
    I want to know what I am eating.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I log anything and everything that passes my lips.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would, just so you know what you're putting into your body. I agree that eating all the veggies and fruits you want is the best way, but it's also nice to see where your fiber, sugars, carbs, etc are coming from. :)

Agreed! You should log but keep eating as much as you want - don't worry if the fruit pushes you over in sugars because they are natural and not processed!
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How does your Scottish Slimmers work? My mum used to be a member of something called "Welsh Slim" donkeys years ago - same idea, certain veggies were 'free'. Not the starchy ones like potatoes, sweetcorn or peas, but the bulk of the rest. They did calorie counting as well but, the lowest calories suggested was 1000 a day, then 1250 and then 1500. If you were to add the calorific value of the 'free veggies' on top of that and you were probably looking at 1250-1350kcals a day at the bottom end which is around what MFP suggests all in.

I don't think there's anything wrong with logging everything in MFP - just personalise your calorie goals to fit in with the Scottish Slimmers method.

It's handy to log all your veg so you know you're getting your 5 day :wink:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think you need to log them. Some veggies (eg carrots) are actually quite hefty in calories. I'm about to log my carrots for lunch today (fair enough 330g of carrot (2 medium-large ones) and I'm sure it will be well over 100 calories. Definitely needs counting.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    it works in sense you get "checks" each check is 25 calories and i have 45 checks to eat a day and i can spend them however i want. (1125 calories a day)
    however you also get "everyday bonus" which can either be milk, cheese, a yogurt which i generally use so basically even with scottish slimmers i am eating 1200 calories basic

you also get 2 free fruit bonus - wee apple, wee banana etc - any more that two bits of fruit a day and you have to count it in your checks.
    and also all your "free" veg -- obv doesnt include potatoes or sweet corn etc
    generally free veg i eat are - lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber, pickles, bell peppers, carrots, onion, mushrooms, turnip, leeks, spring onion, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli

usually have a large plate of these "free" foods, or a tub of carrots n peppers every other day to keep me going, and usually lots of oven roasted "free" veg with my dinner also

so i generally dont count any of these or log them even thou am eating lots of them..... never counted them before when i lost 5 and half stone so just when started on here didnt log them either.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would start adding them. Maybe you are consuming alot more calories than you think.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am doin MFP along with scottish slimmers (kinda like scotlands versions of weight watchers) .... previously lost 5 and half stone with scottish slimmers but got lazy n put some of it (not all) back on....

anyway..... with scottish slimmers they tell you veggies are "FREE FOODS" and you can eat as much as you like and you dont need to count them on you daily allowance.... so i dont. and in general eat LOTS of veg and salad stuff
    bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomoatoes, carrots, brocolli, lettuce, cucumber, ETC ETC

however on MFP i see a lot of people logging all the veggies, which with the amount i snack on after i counted, can add up to over 350 calories alone.

just wondering if should start logging all the veg or contuinue as the weight is dropping off regardless of counting the veg???

what you guys think???

Keep a track of everything you eat...veggies/fruits does help getting fit but anything over a limit would give extra calories and that means fat.
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING I eat. I like to know exactly where I'm at for the day.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is up to you (horrible answer I know). It depends on which program you are actually doing. If you are doing Scottish Slimmers and just want to track your food on MFP then why not enter them? If you don't want to track your food but just your exercises or be social then don't add them. If you want to do the MFP program then YES, absolutely add them.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i probably am over my limit, but its not affecting my weight loss, iv lost 10lbs in 2 weeks,
    and then it didne affect me when i lost 75lbs before

i think i will "create" a food in my diary and log them there, but not so they affect my daily calorie consumption.

thanks guys :)