It's so early and I'm already bummed!

Options
Even though I started MFP on Monday, I started my diet last week and lost 2.5-3lbs...I don't know if my scale was accurate, but hey, I'll take it! Current date, I'm still maintaining. I know it's still early, but it's kind of discouraging! I can't wait to have a moment where I get some spare cash and join the gym down the street! I know that will help me a lot!

Replies

• Tlcw96
    Tlcw96 Posts: 13
    Options
    I know how you are feeling. I have been doing this for 4 weeks now and I get the same discouragement. I have just now started to work out, and am finding it easier for me to keep on track. I have found alot of support here on MFP and the keep me thinking positive too. Keep your head up and take it one day at a time.
  • RealTanyah
    RealTanyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I am impatient and I want it off now. However, we didn't put it on overnight. It does take longer to take off then it does to put on unfortunately =( I just tell myself that even if I am not losing the weight I want I am still getting healthier and going to live longer and have more energy and that helps temporarily =) It's coming off just in smaller quantities and slower than we would like. Hang in there!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to give it a little more time. Your body needs some time to adjust to new things. Also, you may find you will need to play around with MFP's "suggestions" for calorie intake.
    Losing weight slow is good, I think people see shows like Biggest Loser where they are losing 10+ pounds a week and think that's normal...it's not.
    Also, if you start working out (assuming you didn't before) you may notice a weight gain or no loss at first. This may be because your body retains water to help repair your muscles.
    Keep at it though, MFP has been proven to work IF you are accurate in counting your calories and accurate in estimating your exercise calories.
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Remember that it's the turtle that wins the race.

2-3lbs lost already is an amazing feat! Your body is still adjusting to the new routine but it'll get better. It also depends on your body and how much weight you have to lose. Someone who's 300lbs might be able to lose 4-5lbs compared to someone who's 170lbs and can only lose 1-3lb per week.

Also, don't worry about weighing yourself everyday because it fluctuates so much depending on the amount of water weight and food your body is carrying. Once a week at a predetermined time (mine's Sunday when I wake up) is more than enough.
  • JennyWestveer
    JennyWestveer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I’d suggest measuring yourself….measure your waist/thigh/hips. And, remember that if you're working out you're going to be building a little mucle and that's going to show up on the scale too, but that's good! I have tried eating healthy in the past (not dieting just making sure to exercise at least ½ hr per day and eating right, and every few hours) and was doing that for at least a month and literally saw NO weight loss on the scale. BUT, a woman who works at my office, whom I don’t see every day (so she would not have known I was trying to lose weight) saw me getting my lunch one day and asked if I’d lost weight…and said she’d been meaning to ask me that for a few days. So she could tell that I LOOKED different, I couldn’t tell though, and hadn’t measured myself. It’s easy to get discouraged by not seeing results on the scale, trust me I know. I thought to myself…”why am I doing all this, thinking about everything I eat and when I’m going to work out and what I’ll do…when I don’t lose weight?!?!?! I could be watching TV!!”.
    So try that out. I didn’t measure myself this time but I’ve lost only 5 pounds so far and already I feel my pants fitting differently…no one has said anything to me yet, but I know it will feel great when someone does. Hang in there!!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    first few pounds you put off is water which likes to come and go. you need to let you body get used to new diet and exercise routine at least prob a month.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Remember, you don't need a gym to start getting some workouts in. Walk the dog, the kid, your imaginarePlank, push-up (girly style), squats, lunges, high knees... so many things you can do at home. Heck, a family size can of baked beans can make a great dumbell ;) LOL

Stick with it. After a few weeks it will all be habit and you will be ready to switch it up again! :)

Great job so far!