What’s your secrete to “NO”?

Options
13»

Replies

• bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you have something tempting you in your house you can do a few things...pour soap on it, put it in the trash, give to someone else. I mean physically go out and hand it to a homeless person, someone in your house, or take it to a neighbor in need. I personally have to make it gross like pour soap on it. I instantly don't want it.

I do this too.Just this weekend I thew chocolate in the trash can, so I wouldn't eat it.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    My husband wasn't able to get me a pack of bagel thins for breakfast this morning... so he brought home a bag of Pizza-flavored combos. My favorite. I was seriously tempted to just have them for breakfast. I haven't had them in forever. But then I looked at the nutritional information, saw how tiny a portion was, and realized how much sodium was in a single serving. I'm starving and craving junk, but I'm about to shove this bag into the cabinet and just tell myself "No." I don't suppose there is any secret. I'm just really pleased with the progress I've made so far, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

Largely, though, I don't say "no". I've been able to continue eating pretty much whatever I want. If I can make room in my calorie budget for it, then I see no need to deprive myself most of the time. The reason why I'm denying my Combos-cravings is because I've noticed how badly excess sodium will make me retain water. I'm really trying to wean myself off of it, so this is one splurge that isn't worth it today. However, last night I had 3 cookies after midnight. I didn't feel bad about it at all. In fact, I still had calories to spare after eating them... But I decided to have another little snack afterward so that I could intentionally go over my calorie limit for the day. (I'm trying to keep my body guessing. :smile: )
  • CindyGrey
    Options
    A couple things that work for me. Brushing my teeth often...most things don't go well with freshly brushed teeth. Another thing that works is just remembering how something tastes, and then thinking how greasy or sweet or just plain unhealthy that item really is. That's enough for me to make a healthier choice.
  • mchotiner
    mchotiner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have a book called Breaking the Food Seduction that has a lot of good information. Some highlights include that eating chocolate, sugar and cheese are foods that stimulate our brain in a way that makes you want to eat more of them - like a drug - so the recommendation is to take these foods out of your diet completely. I've found it helps it's just a challenge to NEVER eat chocolate for me. Hope that is helpful.
  • randi1213csc
    randi1213csc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The Food Diary on this site has really helped me say "no" to a lot of sweets. And at times where I'm not strong enough to say "no" I at least read the label on the back and eat the appropriate serving size, instead of eating how much I feel (chocolate is my weakness). However, the food diary has been my best secret because it keeps me accountable and let's me know on a daily basis what my future weight will be if I continue to eat a certain way. I don't like seeing that number go up...and I've seen it go up a few times. I'm just making healthier choices, practicing self control, and keeping the end in mind.
  • cinasana
    Options
    I swear by Marianne Williamson's "A Course in Weight Loss". You have to be in the right mind frame to truly take in the book though. As in, you have to be very open minded and try to adapt a spiritual way of thinking. Not a hokey-pokey book, but a very beautiful and touching book that truly makes a lot of sense about why we are unable to overcome our eating habits and inability to say No! :)
  • jhissom
    jhissom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't I just chhose a small portion of a really good variety of the food if I have a craving.

I love chocolate, and so one day when having a craving I went and got some willy wonkas triple dazzzel carmel filled chocolate peices. I keep them at work, they are 45 calories each but one is enough to destroy my craving because they are intense.

Also when eating anything it helps to be slow and deliberate, I use sensory awareness meditation techniques to heighten my pleasure of the food so that I get fully satiated from it.
  • addy_rodriguez
    addy_rodriguez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have a book called Breaking the Food Seduction that has a lot of good information. Some highlights include that eating chocolate, sugar and cheese are foods that stimulate our brain in a way that makes you want to eat more of them - like a drug - so the recommendation is to take these foods out of your diet completely. I've found it helps it's just a challenge to NEVER eat chocolate for me. Hope that is helpful.

Thanks! Ill check it out. I'm trying to do the same thing with soda