Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    yum
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them too!!! I try to eat at least four or five a week. I scoop out the remaining bit in the shell and put it on my face. It's like a mini face peel. It feels so smooth after. I know it's high in calories and fats, but it's good fats, isn't it?
  • BeBe128
    BeBe128 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOL, I thought I was the only avocado freak!! Woot woot ..... bring on the avocados & the guacamole.
    Gr8 recipes mentioned above.... think I will try the avocado & tomatoe wheat sandwich for lunch this week.
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    Love the avocados... It can be a struggle to keep it under calories, but I still fit them in once in a while.
  • hggmilliron
    hggmilliron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned price - best price I have encountered is Aldi's - last week they were $.89 each
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    yummy!!
  • atxdee
    Options
    I also love them! I account for them in my calories but don't worry if they put me over in fat since it is a healthy fat (same with nuts). A sandwich spread I love is one avocado mashed up into one can of cannelini beans (white beans). Mash it till spreadable and add your usual guacamole ingredients (I add minced red onion, salt, pepper, and a splash of lime juice). I spread this on flax tortillas and add a cabbage slaw (shredded cabbage, splash of apple cider vinegar, a little bit of olive oil, and some minced chipotle in adobo) and it is a phenomenal lunch.

this sounds very yummy!! with eating an avocado a day, do you find yourself still losing weight? because Im sorta in the same boat where I been eating one a day.
  • TarattThomas
    TarattThomas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum! LOVE avocados!
    Bumping this for later :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I LOVE:love: avacados!!!!
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    PS: For those of you that love avocado, shrimp & brown rice. Check out this recipe! I saw it on Women's Health magazine. Doesn't it look yummy?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/simple-asian-meals?page=1

"Brown Rice with Shrimp and Avocado"

Ah yes, that looks wonderful! Very close to one recipe I found on FitnessMagazine's site that my boyfriend and I make all the time!
    Here's the one from Fitness Mag!
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/vegetables/shrimp-and-avocado-rice-bowl/
    l_R144441.jpg
    Either way, this dish if FANTASTIC!

thanks for posting-I know what i'm having for tonights dinner!
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i use avocado slices on my tuna instead of adding any mayo.

packet of tuna
    half an avocado
    some chopped tomato
    a little red onion
    some cucumber slices
    salt and pepper
    PITA POCKET THIN!!! = DELICIOUS!!! and so refreshing and healthy for you

That sounds ahhhhmazin

Although I think I'll replace the tuna with Chicken....

wait it says "chicken of the sea" does that mean tuna IS chicken ;)

JUST IMAGINE ITS CHICKEN. :D

oh i also add some hot sauce too!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado AND peanut butter (not together) almost daily and I've lost over 100 pounds. Yes, you can eat it every day and lose weight! Keep within your calorie/fat goals and it's no problem. Everything in moderation, and let's face it, you could be eating chips and cookies instead.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned price - best price I have encountered is Aldi's - last week they were $.89 each

Yep. I always buy my avocados at Aldi. Regular price is usually around 99 cents. Sometimes they even have them for 49 cents and that's when we eat lots of guacamole at my house!
  • atxdee
    Options
    awesome bumpity bump!
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love them too!!! I buy them in the two pack at harris teeter (1.27 for 2) or Aldi and I freeze them and then puree them with frozen raspberries and unsweetned cocoa powder and it makes a yummy sorbet!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados, however I recently learned I'm probably allergic to them. Someone do me a favor, please, and make chicken salad using avocado instead of mayo...please?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Love them, I have them once a week with rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and light mozzarella, one of my favourite meals, in fact that's what I had tonight. Only started incorporating them into my diet a year ago.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado a day. No joke. They're fantastic. I don't care about the calories because they are a nutritionally sound food. Yes they have fat, but it is good fat. We need at least 30 grams of GOOD fat a day. Half of your average avocado is 15 grams. And the sources for good fat are limited, so don't be worried about it. Id rather eat an avocado than have to use extra virgin olive oil in something everyday.

When Weight Watchers started their "Core" program, I was eating a whole avocado every day in my salad because I didn't have to count it. I had never eaten them not as guac, and now I love them! I usually end up getting them at Giant 4 for $5, but sometimes I find a good sale, like last week they were 79 cents at Safeway. I'm always afraid to buy them if they're all already brown, though. I found a recipe for an omelet made with crab and avocado and it was really good! Never thought to put avocado in my eggs!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados, however I recently learned I'm probably allergic to them. Someone do me a favor, please, and make chicken salad using avocado instead of mayo...please?
    It's quite delicious...she's made it for me!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Interested in a Mexican-Style Guacamole recipe I use?

Here are the ingredients, with calories, etc shown from MFP:

Serves: 15 portions (80 calories per serving, as you can see below)

Ingredients Calories Chol Carbs Fat Sodium Fiber:
    Generic - Hass Avocado (1/4) Raw, 4 raw 1,050 0 0 0 0 0
    Generic - Fresh Cilantro - Chopped, 1 c 4 0 0 0 8 0
    Generic - Raw Tomato, Medium, 3 tomato 66 0 14 1 19 5
    Generic - Onion, Raw, 1 cup chopped (160g) 64 0 15 0 6 3
    Fresh - Lime , 0.5 Lime 10 0 4 0 0 1
    Spices - Salt, table, 5 dash 0 0 0 0 775 0

Total: 1194 0 33 1 808 9
    Per Serving: 80 0 2 0 54 1

The Lime is there mainly to avoid the Avocado from turning brown, but it does add flavor
    One ingredient that is not there: Serrano Chile (Chilis). I would put one, finely chopped, but it is up to your taste.
    Make sure that the tomato is chopped in small squares, but not so small to make it a paste.
    Also chop the onion in small parts.
    The end result should be a guacamole that is "Chunky", not a paste.

Enjoy !!