Fitbit users: How does it work, and has it helped you?

Options
I'm trying to decide whether to buy the highly acclaimed "Fitbit" and have just read an article on here stating that fitbit and MFP can be calibrated to be in sync with each other, which is great!

However, do they work? I mean, fitbit tells you how many calories you do with EVERYTHING right? i.e. getting up and walking to the shop etc, which could be part of your normal routine already, but counts it as exercise? how does this work? surely walking to and from little things can't go towards your exercise can it? Don't know whether I should buy one!!!

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    FitBit is a pedometer with a LOT more extra features. It counts how many "floors" you've climbed (actually floors or hills...elevation), how many steps taken, distance, and tracks sleep. As long as you keep it on it will track steps.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    FitBit is a pedometer with a LOT more extra features. It counts how many "floors" you've climbed (actually floors or hills...elevation), how many steps taken, distance, and tracks sleep. As long as you keep it on it will track steps.

Is it waterproof do you know? i.e. could it be worn whilst swimming?
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    Hi Jade..no, you can't wear it swimming. it's not waterproof..but you can set it into timer mode and manually enter an activity. as horror said, it has many features. the main features for me?

-keeps me honest with my activity vs my eating (intake of calories vs output)
    -it ties into both a fitbit tracking website and myfitnesspal..either or you can easily track food etc.
    -it tracks every movement. you do burn calories just to live:)
    -you can get a snapshot of your sleep pattern. as a troubled sleeper, it has been handy for me to track and see how it correlates to things i've done that may cause a bad sleep (too much caffeine, windy night, stress at work etc) and help me in managing my sleep.
    -it updates via wireless basically if your computer is on and you're within 20 to 30 ft of the base station..very cool

ps- the real proof is in what has it done for me lately? i started using it in conjunction with the websites on dec 27th. i've lost 13lb in just under a month thanks to this.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    look into Body Media Fit Link......great!
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    They have a newer version out now - it's the fitbit ultra and I believe I read it is not water proof. I was trying to find it at the site

here -

Is the Fitbit Tracker waterproof?
    The Fitbit Tracker is water resistant and should hold up through normal use throughout the day. However, it is not waterproof and should not be worn in water or during activities where it might get wet.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I get mine in. I ordered it last week. I tried the Polar FT4, it's good but I didn't like the band I had to wear around my chest. It's uncomfortable for me, it just itches all the time. Best of luck with your decision...
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    thats a good question i would like to know that too not that i swim but if i started again
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    definitely not waterproof folks. if you do happen to get it into water, it could kill it. think what would happen if you forgot your usb stick in the washer..same thing:) there are some reports that people have put it into a sealed pot with rice and it can suck the moisture out and it may work again, but i wouldn't force the issue:)
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    interesting...thanks i still want one for general use and am wondering if there is a waterproof one
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    bodymedia fit is not waterproof
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
  • gingerwraps
    Options
    No it is not waterproof. I like it but is it worth a $100- not sure or maybe I don't know how it all works. It comes with no manual and the help info on site is not very helpful. I wish it would log all that walking as exercise and log into MFP but it doesn't. I do like the sleep part of it only because it's cool information.
  • MisterOtter
    Options
    Just to chime in, I've got a FitBit Ultra and I'm extremely pleased with it. I've got it on my hip from the moment I'm out of the shower in the morning until I set it on the nightstand when I go to bed. It's allowed me to be far more aware of my activity levels through day. As others have said, it is not waterproof (but rather, water "resistant") so it can take a drop or two of rain, but will not survive the toilet, shower, hottub, or pool.

There are pros and cons, so you need to evaluate what you really need out of a tracker. The pros for me are that it very accurately tracks my steps which translates to miles walked/jogged/ran per day, as well as a calorie burn estimate from that effort. A single charge lasts for a good three days before you have to drop it on its base. Better than most cell phones. As far as cons, there are only a few minor things that deal more with the FitBit website and metrics than anything with the device. For one, there is no pause button anymore. That means that if you happen to drive or commute a lot, you either need to put the device into stopwatch mode or remember the exact moment you started and stopped, and then log that as an activity to zero out the calories. After two hours on the motorcycle the FitBit had me walking 78 miles and climbing 102 stairs. It's correctable, but annoying.

So there you go. Great for legitimate step, stairs, and calorie counting, bad for swimming and motorcycles. Best of luck on whatever decision you make!
  • MamaLondon
    Options
    I just got a Fit Bit for Xmas, I really like it. Set up was easy. For those who have it, is everyone steps taken goal the same or is it based on how much weight you wanna loose? Still trying to figure out the Fitbit website.Thanks for any info.