i really need advice here

Options
2»

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds goofy, but, the more I am on MFP, the better I do. I read my friends posts, message boards, and for some reason, I feel better. I want to exercise because my friends on here are. I don't want to let them down. My diary is public so anyone can see if I screw up. And I WANT you all to call me out on it. I have a good friend on here that I work with and when I eat the crap, like yesterday I had 3 slices of pizza hut. I have not a clue why I ate so much I texted her and she gave me the meanness I needed.
  • laracouture
    laracouture Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself the pizza. But I arm myself with a salad first. So enjoy a meal with them but make yourself a fresh, healthy salad then have a slice of pizza. You can be a role model for them. If they are constantly showing up with fast food, etc. Then just eat something else that is healthier. Again you are showing them how to make healthy food choices without shoving it in their faces. Be strong and good luck. Eventually, they will see that you are serious, your health is important and hopefully they will become more supportive.
  • athearenee
    Options
    Keep Healthy Snacks handy...eat something before the non-diet food and you won't be as hungry....you will be honest when you say I'm full after just a little and you are still eating with the fam...if it gets out of control..put your foot down...
    THIS IS ABOUT YOU!!!!
    If they can't support that..well.....
  • athearenee
    Options
    Accountability Partners Rock!!! :tongue:
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just told my family that I am trying to eat healthier because I feel "sick" a lot. Even though I don't physically feel sick, I do emotionally. Also I tell them that places that serve fast food make me feel really sick so you try to avoid that food.
  • Stampdecor
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks with you. I've run into the same problem. "Just one bite", "you deserve something today, you exercised didn't you", "you've were good all day yesterday, you don't have to be today" and the list goes on and on and on. I find that my biggest trouble is needing to snack while they are eating in front of me. I "save" calories a day for those snacks. I buy healthy snacks and plastic baggie them in my fridge, cupboard, and keep a few in my purse for those saved calories. (and if they are always baggied they are in easy reach) I found a 180 ca.l smoothie to eat at breakfast and low calorie lunches and dinners so that way if I do slip up I had a low cal breakfast and a low cal other meal. Sometime it's just finding tricks. And then at some point you have to learn to say no.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, all of my family are on the heavier side and they don't understand why I want to loose weight because I'm already "thin". I just be honest and tell them, I am doing this for my health, and for my kids. My Mom had heart issues a few years back, and that scared the crap out of me, so when I say its for health and not weight loss, they don't seem to get all defensive about it. And when they come over with that food, tell them you already have your supper planned, and make something healthy for you... and even them, maybe it will get them involved too. If it continues to be a problem, maybe you need to reevaluate who is actually your friends.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Divorce. He doesnt love you like i would. Ill clean out half the closet and wait for you.

HA. Most people cannot share your experiences unless they experience them too--ever see someone crying for a dead loved one and your like "ok", ever seen someone happy and youre like "why are you happy?"....and on and on....same applies here.....they arent doing what you are and dont share your goal. And thats ok.....now is the time more than ever you stick to your plan.

Olympic athletes give up ALOT to train, eat right, sleep so they can get the chance every 2-4 years to showcase their abilities for a few days. They have people around them all the time saying the same thing--take a break, come with us, skip today. they know if they do, it would throw them off track. You are working on your own olympics--dont let others lead you astray.
  • Kbarr12345
    Kbarr12345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut myself a small piece. then cut it up in really small pieces, eat slow and enjoy every bite. Its all about portions. I even have a cookie every night with half cup of milk.
  • boa74
    boa74 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing, I am staying with the in-laws at the moment and they are making it very hard to stick to this diet! Every day is a battle but I feel Im getting stronger each day and Im trying not to let their comments get me down.
    Personally I try not to have bad days but maybe the very occasional bad meal but only when there is no other option.
    Try and be stong and let them know that you are doing what you are doing to make yourself feel better.
    Good luck hun, just imagine the end goal and it will make it all worth while!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds goofy, but, the more I am on MFP, the better I do. I read my friends posts, message boards, and for some reason, I feel better. I want to exercise because my friends on here are. I don't want to let them down. My diary is public so anyone can see if I screw up. And I WANT you all to call me out on it. I have a good friend on here that I work with and when I eat the crap, like yesterday I had 3 slices of pizza hut. I have not a clue why I ate so much I texted her and she gave me the meanness I needed.

your right im the kind that needs a kick in the butt also lol!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    you guys r all awesome ty all for your advice please feel free to add me ! xoxox
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the ignore thing either. If they can't understand and support you, you need to talk to them about it in order to help them understand. The "health" aspect of this usually gets through to people better than the "weight loss" aspect of it. Tell them you're worried about diabetes or heart disease, etc and hopefully that'll sink in.

I'm sure the intention - bringing you and the kids food to help out - is coming from a good place, it just needs to be redirected. If you don't feel comfortable with asking for alternatives (a gift certificate to the grocery store or a different take out place that has healthy options) then definitely make sure you have something healthier on hand for those nights. When they bring a pizza, you let your kids eat that and you have a salad and maybe just one or two slices of pizza with it.

It's not any particular food that's going to derail you, it's the portion of that food. Everything in moderation.
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    HA. Most people cannot share your experiences unless they experience them too--ever see someone crying for a dead loved one and your like "ok", ever seen someone happy and youre like "why are you happy?"....and on and on....same applies here.....they arent doing what you are and dont share your goal. And thats ok.....now is the time more than ever you stick to your plan.

Olympic athletes give up ALOT to train, eat right, sleep so they can get the chance every 2-4 years to showcase their abilities for a few days. They have people around them all the time saying the same thing--take a break, come with us, skip today. they know if they do, it would throw them off track. You are working on your own olympics--dont let others lead you astray.

^^ This! Continue to make healthy food for you and your family, splurge a little once in a while, but don't expect everyone to change their habits just so you're not tempted to go off plan. If you're committed to your health, you will succeed. :)
  • rickpick99
    Options
    It is a shame that family seems to be making dieting more difficult for you. However, your diet is not their responsibility, it is yours. Step up and assume the responsibility and make sure that you have healthy options.

I agree 100%