How to start eating CLEAN?

Options
I've been using MFP for a while and lost some weight (46 lbs) but I'm becoming more interested in what I am actually putting in my body versus just eating whatever I can get away with and still be under calories. I don't really know what eating "clean" means or how to start gradually. I have about 75 lbs to get to my goal weight. I exercise about 3-5 times a week. I have my goal at 1 lb weight loss per week. Not in a hurry to drop the weight, just want to reach it as healthy as possible. Thanks for any suggestions, tips, ideas.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Pick up any of Tosca Reno's books... they are loaded with advice and recipes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

What is this google thing, is it new?
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

If I would have wanted to Google clean eating, I would have done that first. This is a community where I seek advice, from fellow MFP users. That's the whole point.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i am starting this as well.
    what i am doing is trying my hardest to do NO boxes of anything. only fresh meats and veggies.
    im not perfect but working on it!!
  • karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Look at blogilates.com
    She eats clean lots of the time and her recipes are very easy and delicious.
    Its my new fav blog to read and she updates almost daily
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You can also check out eatcleandiet.com. That site is pretty helpful and there are recipes and a community etc.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

go to google.com type in, literally, anything. it is a search engine. the world's best search engine. i have it as my homepage and am a lot wiser for it. any time you wonder about anything...search google!:smile:

ps i posted this specifically for acg67
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have not read the books :clean eating" But from what I understand clean eating is choosing "God made" foods over processed foods. Whole foods like fruits and veggies in their purest form. Instead of frozen vegetables in a bag with creamy sauces, just steam them fresh. Lean meats fresh from the butcher in stead of pre-made patties or pressed and formed meats. Grains in their purest most unprocessed form such as 100% whole wheat breads instead of white bread. The less processed the more pure and whole and clean the food.

Have a great day and congrats for wanting to improve your diet by taking in healthier foods.
    Deb:flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

go to google.com type in, literally, anything. it is a search engine. the world's best search engine. i have it as my homepage and am a lot wiser for it. any time you wonder about anything...search google!:smile:

lol
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oxygen Magazine has has some great articles and recipies
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

If I would have wanted to Google clean eating, I would have done that first. This is a community where I seek advice, from fellow MFP users. That's the whole point.

Wow!
  • angelakayerickson
    Options
    i myself cannot tell you what clean eating is.....but I would assume it would be eating healthy things for your body to use! I am really really new to MFP....and it has helped me more than ever. I didnt realize what a bite of this and a lil of that was costing me. I am pretty positive that I have never ate this healthy in my life. I look on the back of everything now.....I know that salsa is healthy and not many cals.....but the dang chips are what kill ya. I looked on the back and I am like 12chips really with my 2 cups of salsa....not gonna work hu? So I found myself eating the 12 chips and way less salsa and still felt satisfied. I honestly grabbed the left over celery from my soup and started munching on it....I know you said you are eating what you can get away with instead of what is good for you.....but it really is mind over matter and to hit your calorie goal with eating at McDonalds you know is not good.....Having some microwave popcorn might be a better choice that is still satisfying and what some may call not GOOD for you. Dont deprive yourself of all good things....you will just want them more....I guess this is my opinion, and if it has nothing to do with clean eating I am sorry....I just really think it is a choice and mind thing!
  • brianyeager
    Options
    Dear princilam99:

You can start eating by eating raw vegetables, fruits, meats that have not been processed (i.e. get them right from the butcher). Clean eating (if we are talking about the same thing) is about removing as many additives and other chemicals from food as possible. This does not mean you steer clear of everything that is not in the fruit and veggie isles. Some oatmeal, etc. are whole grains and do not have a bunch of additives. Just start reading the ingredients. When I started removing myself from all of the processed foods I eat, I wasn't all too happy with the taste of "real food". Thus, go slow.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    From eatingcleanworks.com..
    .."eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it." ..."
  • CassPerkins
    Options
    I believe I heard of a magazine called Clean Eating. Maybe it was Green Eating? Either way, my friend stationed in Germany use to get it all the time since she is a vegetarian. It has a ton of recipes in it and articles that tell you the benefits of eating certain foods.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

I agree with you... Let me give you a hint though....

Go to google, type in "clean eating site:myfitnesspal.com" and you get the benefits of a powerful search engine, but all of the results will come from this site....

Tha being said, start by eating only fresh foods... Nothing from a can or a box. If it grew in, walked on the ground or swam... Eat it, otherwise skip it....

I try to do that, but one exception I chose to do was eat tofu and veggie burgers instead of meat breaking the in the box rule but I eat pretty clean....
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Google "Clean Eating".

I think the OP was looking for "suggestions, tips, advice" which is what this community is for, correct? If you don't have suggestions, tips or advice, it may be kinder to not say anything.....numerous replys telling someone to just google it isn't all that helpful.
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lot's of opinions, I'm sure.

Here is what I think it means... Eat food as close to their natural state as possible. Brown Rice... Good, White rice... Not good, Rice pudding.... very bad :-). AND... when eating meat, eat lean cuts of meat, avoiding saturated fat as much as you can. So mostly fish, chicken breast (no skin), lean cuts of red meat (and limit red meat in general).

Another way to think about it is avoid refined carbohydrates and saturated fat. Sugar is obviously a refined carbohydrate. But generally, it is any plant that has been modified to strip away fiber and fats and results in a more concentrated carbohydrate. So, Sugar, White Rice, Enriched White flour, and stuff made from all that (Enriched Pasta, white bread, stuff with and "ose"s in it... Sucrose, Fructose, High-Fructose Corn Syrup (or plain corn syrup for that matter)... they are all just different forms on refined sugars.

I think that is a basic definition of "eating clean". You still have to pay attention to macro nutrients. But I think this is a start to answering your question.