Melatonin as a Sleep Aid

Options
124»

Replies

• rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i take melatonin every night, either 6 or 9 mg. it takes hours for me to fall asleep and i wake up repeatedly if i don't take it
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Carbs can become protein, seriously, Out of the 20 amino acids you need to survive, the body manufactures 11 of them from a combination of a glucose (usually broken down into different variations during glycolysis,) hydrogen, and oxygen. It's not really rocket science.

As for melatonin, like I said, studies have been done, and they show no difference in effect between low and high doses. Melatonin supplementation is for retraining your circadian rhythm. It will change when your body produces melatonin, if you take it at a different time than is normal. Also, melatonin production is based on light and darkness, which is why shift workers can often have trouble producing enough melatonin to sleep properly, as their light and dark signals get mixed up.

As for it's antioxidant properties, I haven't seen any studies that show more is better there, either. There are a lot of powerful antioxidants that lose effectiveness and can even be toxic at too high a dose. I'm not saying the dosages for melatonin are dangerous, just unnecessary. Why spend more money for a higher dose capsule, when you can save money with a lower dose that is just as effective? More is not always better.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for about 2 weeks and the only problem I have is the vivid dreams. They make me jump and wake me up. But at least I am sleeping since I have a problem with this.