Is it OK....

Options
If I wanted to go out this weekend and celebrate my new job, would it be okay to save the bulk of my daily calories for dinner one night? IDK why it wouldn't be, but I wanted to ask..

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Is your room clean, and all your homework done?
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes - but don't starve yourself during the day either. I like to eat smaller meals earlier in the day and do some exercise to make sure I have enough calories to "splurge" when I know I'm going out.

Have fun!!!
  • stephanielindley422
    Options

Ha. No and No. Does that mean no jolly rancher vodka for me?? :sad:
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Yep. I plan my days ahead of time. If I want to eat something high calorie in the evening, I save back some from breakfast and lunch.

I agree with the other person who said not to starve all day, though. It's easy to overeat when you do that.

Enjoy it!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out, I do. I still go over most of the time but at least it's not as much. Don't obsess, but never say the hell with it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    sure...nothing wrong with that

I generally pay attention to my weekly calorie total...so if something comes up and I go over for a day I work it into my weekly total

there is no need to worry about one single meal or day
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    sure...nothing wrong with that

I generally pay attention to my weekly calorie total...so if something comes up and I go over for a day I work it into my weekly total

there is no need to worry about one single meal or day

I never thought about doing it this way. hmmmm...
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    One day out isn't going to hurt. have fun!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's all good!! Congrats on the new job!
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would say it's ok on a daily basis.

But not if your saving calories throughout the week for this one day.

Just be sure you don't go hungry thru that day either.

Cheers.
  • RUN2CJ
    RUN2CJ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a break in this long road for each of our individual weight loss goals! Remember to take things one day at a time and have a jolly rancher vodka for me! I can't wait to have something to celebrate so I can join you!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you know you are going to go real crazy - you may want to save a few calories over the week also. As other posters said, I wouldn't starve myself for the day though. I would just eat smaller meals. Othewise, if you only do it once in a while, ENJOY!!:flowerforyou:
  • shomofo
    Options
    If I wanted to go out this weekend and celebrate my new job, would it be okay to save the bulk of my daily calories for dinner one night? IDK why it wouldn't be, but I wanted to ask..

I think you'd be better off doubling up on some exercise rather than skimping on what you eat :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, you'll be able to enjoy yourself with less guilt! I do this regularly because my husband and I like to cook and have big dinners together; I tend to consume the majority of my daily cals between 7:00-9:00 PM.
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree with the people that have said one meal is okay. It's not like you are doing it regularly...plus, you'll probably see that you'll eat less anyway since you've changed your eating habits.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I do tend to plan my meals for a dinner out or some cocktails every once in awhile. I try to look ahead at a menu of where we are going, so I get an idea of what the calorie count is going to look like, so I can make sure to get in the appropriate amount of exercise or lighten up a little on other parts of my days meals.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options

LOL!!

It is OKAY to treat yourself once and a while. As long as you dont make this a regular thing, where you're going to binge and fall off the wagon. Food is NOT the enemy if you eat the right things, or do things in moderation. If you are sticking to clean healthy eating... you will probably find the junk that you eat will make you feel like crap anyways.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've done that. It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat your calories - it's a myth that eating at night makes you fat. If you burn 2000 calories and only eat 1500, you will lose weight no matter what time of the day you ate them in.

Have fun celebrating!
  • JohnLamar
    JohnLamar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor myself, by any means, but a doctor friend has always told me (and my ex, who was waaay overweight - which is not a dig, just a fact) that your body works best when you don't eat just one big meal. If you skip breakfast and lunch you are telling your body to store that big dinner.

For breakfast think of two things: water, something sweet but not bad for you (fruits, fruity stuff?). The water is best in the morning, and will help you feel full. It actually helps those cells "fire up" and work too. If you are going to be drinking that night, why not drink some water between breakfast and then after lunch a little too (but not gorge on it).

For lunch do something with protein and sugars - a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? It's not a lot, and it will also tell your body to stop eating. Both will trick your body into telling your brain you are good - and with some water you'll be filling up.

Maybe if possible do a bit of exercising (something simple, easy, fun) and then go out. Don't do cardio on a full stomach of water though, and don't exercise too close to eating. It's up to you to time it all right.

If you think about it - it all really comes down to routine and changing your life. Trust me, I am stuck there too. Look up "Transtheoretical model" on wikipedia :happy:

Good luck.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I do tend to plan my meals for a dinner out or some cocktails every once in awhile. I try to look ahead at a menu of where we are going, so I get an idea of what the calorie count is going to look like, so I can make sure to get in the appropriate amount of exercise or lighten up a little on other parts of my days meals.

Good idea.