I need breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This morning I made the most delicious breakfast using a Mission carb control tortilla, spread 2 T of spreadable goat cheese, then I cooked 2 slices of red onion in a little almond oil (canola or olive works fine) and added 3T of egg beaters and added that to my tortilla, rolled it up and it was sooooo delicious and filling! I was not hungry all morning. Took me about 5 minutes to do.

Maybe it's the goat cheese enthusiast in me, but this sounds amazing. Must try.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I bought a breakfast sandwich maker for $35 on amazon and the combinations of toast eggs and meat, salmon, veggies is amazing. I use if 5 days a week and it cooks a sandwich while I make a K-cup for coffee.

I also bake eggs in a cup cake tin 12 at a time and freeze them. It is the same, add cheese, veggies, salsa, sausage, hash bacon - you name it. Then microwave it about 45 seconds and you have a mini fried egg - scrambled egg sandwich.

Then there is oatmeal and all the stuff you can add, and yogurt and fruit.
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothies.

Chop any kind of fruit you wish, throw it in a blender with some spinach or other leafy green.

The great part is you can chop the fruit the night before and store it in the fridge if you are short on time. Just blend and you have breakfast. I take mine to go and drink it on the way to work and at my desk.
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    I am a single mom and mornings are insane in our house so, on weekdays, I eat a Pure Protein bar (20g protien, 2g sugar, 6g fat) with two glasses of water. That lasts me until well into the afternoon on busy days. On Saturdays, we make omlettes together (everybody has their own different mix-ins) for a healthy time of bonding and cooking lessons. It works for us!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Burrito!

1/2 tsp. olive oil
    3 ounces egg (or egg substitute - but I go with the real deal)
    1/4 tomato, diced
    1/2 tsp. chopped cilantro
    1 tsp. crumbled goat cheese
    A Whole-wheat wraps
    2 Tbsp. salsa

Steps
    1 Coat a nonstick pan with olive oil and preheat over medium heat.
    2 Scramble the egg. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Remove from heat and add cheese.
    3 Warm wraps in microwave (only about 10-20 seconds so that they don't dry out) and spoon half the egg mixture into each. Roll up burrito-style, tucking in the ends.
    4 Serve with salsa (I make mine home made).

What I usually do is make food the night before so when I wake up I can just grab and go.

What I also like to do is prepare all my meals on Sunday if I can (for certain items), that way I can just grab for breakfast/Lunch through the week on my way to work.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    my best trick is to pre-make things on a night when i have some extra time. Especially since my tastes run to the savory instead of sweet for breakfast:

-Scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu (don't knock it till you try it, tastes just like eggs). But the trick is to load them up with tons of sauteed veggies--zuchinni, tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms-- whatever you have in the fridge. Then throughout the week I'll grab a portion and eat it with toast, alone, in or low carb tortilla, etc.

-Salt and pepper LF cottage cheese on whole wheat toast. The cottage cheese keeps you filled up.

- Hardboiled eggs seasoned with dill, salt, pepper and cayenne.

-homemade fruit and vegetable juices if you have a juicer are great. 90-100 calories, TONS of nutrients and keeps me full till lunch.

-baked egg and turkey bacon cups. use a muffin tin to bake lightly beaten eggs, turkey bacon, cheese, chives or whatever you like. pop em out ne or two at a time for a single serving on the go.

all these things can be made ahead and store and travel well!
  • fatfiske
    Options
    I'm pretty boring, but it works for me:
    100 calorie english muffin (or 1 Eggo Waffle)
    80 calorie Danon Light and Fit Yogur

My Wife's breakfasts are a bit higher calorie, but really good
    100 calorie english muffin
    Slice of American Cheese (70 cal)
    Egg scramblied in the microwave (70 cal)
    Slice of Ham (15 cal)
    So for 255, she's basically getting an egg mcmuffin. there are lower calorie substitutes for the cheese and egg you can use as well. And though it sounds weird, cooking eggs in the microwave isn't all that bad, and much easier for a morning on the run.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. Here are some things that I keep in my routine:

Two table spoons of peanut butter on two slices of whole grain or whole wheat bread
    Power Bagel from Safeway (more protein and less calories than a power bar).
    Scrambled egg on whole wheat toast
    1 cup Cottage Cheese mixed with a handful of dried cherries
    Apples.
    1.5 cups of coffee. non-fat powdered creamer and splenda.

Sometimes, I take those pint containers that you get from takeout soup and fill them with 3/4 cup oatmeal, a handful of dried fruits, and some nuts. I have hot water at work so I'm good to go.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hope you like veggies but this is delish:

I take butter can spray and grease the pan, add chopped green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach. Then I add 3 egg whites and add a little salt & pepper. Remove the omelet and add 2tbsp of mild salsa to the skillet and warm it up. Then add the salsa on top of the omelet. I often put 1/2 slice of American cheese inside the omelet. I love cheese! I eat this almost everyday with a cup of healthy oatmeal. That way I'm adding protein and complex carbohydrates which burn more fuel/calories.

Calories 103 *Can't go wrong with this :flowerforyou:

Hope you like this!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    A fellow MFP posted this to one of my topics:

Blue Cheese Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
    1 TBSP Bacon
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put bacon and blue cheese in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

108 Calories
    2 Carbs
    6 Fat
    460 Sodium
    12 Protien
    1 Fiber

Mexi-Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Pico de Gallo
    1/8 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Pico de Gallo and cheese in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

96 Calories
    5 Carbs
    4 Fat
    188 Sodium
    11 Protien
    1 Fiber

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Chopped frozen Spinach (thawed)
    1 TBSP Crumbled Feta
    1 tsp Chopped sun Dried Tomatoes
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

83 Calories
    6 Carbs
    3 Fat
    302 Sodium
    12 Protien
    2 Fiber
  • Drea115
    Options
    Eggs!! I found if you like to have some form of meat for breakfast that turkey sausage and bacon really is pretty good and it's about 100 calories less then pork! That's quite a bit! It's really good too! I made a breakfast burrito today with Turkey sausage, egg whites, on a flat bread. It was awesome!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I pre make breakfast wraps:

tortilla wraps or english muffins with scrambled egg whites, bacon or sausage or ham and a little shredded cheese. wrap them in saran wrap and throw them in the freezer. I take one out in the morning and its thawed by the time I get to work. You just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and its a warm, filling breakfast!

Great idea!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump....these are all great ideas!!! i could even do some of the burritos as lunch options :)
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks! I have opened up a word document and am making a small recipe book!! I am SOOO glad that I found MFP!!! You peeps are amazing!! Keep um coming, don't stop now :)
  • abradley114
    abradley114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Toast a piece of bread put PB on it with half a banana and sprinkle cinnamon on top yummy :)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I fry one whole egg and one egg white and toss them in a low cal whole wheat tortillia along with some turkey bacon. Cheese optional. Filling, low cal, and healthy.
  • cgshekelly
    Options
    :smile: Hi there,
    I just recently tried a sout of the border buritto and it was the best one I have ever tasted! Its quick and easy too, and if you really lke it double the recipe and freeze for later in the week.
    You will need:
    Low fat tortillia wraps
    1 cup of mixed veggies I.e. Brocolli, zucini, and sweet bell peppers
    Your choice of tofu or pre cooked chicken strips (They are fast and easy)
    Heat it all up and add 2 tbls of salsa and some tex mex cheese to taste!!
    Yum yum!!
    Enjoy!
  • cgshekelly
    Options
    :smile: Hi there,
    I just recently tried a sout of the border buritto and it was the best one I have ever tasted! Its quick and easy too, and if you really lke it double the recipe and freeze for later in the week.
    You will need:
    Low fat tortillia wraps
    1 cup of mixed veggies I.e. Brocolli, zucini, and sweet bell peppers
    Your choice of tofu or pre cooked chicken strips (They are fast and easy)
    Heat it all up and add 2 tbls of salsa and some tex mex cheese to taste!!
    Yum yum!!
    Enjoy!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats cooked in milk (I like almond milk) with berries. Or fresh apples or peaches. Or about 1/3 cup canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.

Smoothies! Super quick and easy. I love making them with spinach (no you honestly do NOT taste it), banana, frozen mango chunks, a tbsp of flax seed, and almond or soy milk.