How to keep sugar intake down?!

Options
Hey guys..
So here's my issue. I'm having NO issue staying under my fat/protein/carbs/sodium for the day.. but I'm have major issues with my sugar intake.
I eat NO false sugar additives, minus my coffee sweetener..

But, for instance, here's what I ate today:
Spaggheti squash ( 1 cup ) which is 9
Blueberries ( 1/2 cup ) 7
Cottage cheese 2% 1/2 cup ( 5 )

etc.. I just logged ALL my food for the day and I'm only -4 for the day.... so I count that as pretty good... but i'm really frustrated as it counts foods like squash or blueberries as bad sugars.. I eat pretty strict, no wheat breads, all gluten free, all gluten free pastas and buns etc.
Any ideas on things with no sugar in them?

Replies

• Mama2HnC
    Options
    PS. I ate way more food than I posted.. I just posted the main sugar killers..
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    more protein less fruits... veggies are good :)
  • Mama2HnC
    Options
    I've only eaten 1 fruit today, and squash is a veggie..
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. If I am getting my sugar from a healthy source, I don't care. My Carbs track what is important to me and include sugar.
    That's just the way I do it. :drinker:
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. MFP adds sugar in even if you just eat a carrot. Unless you decide to become a bodybuilder I wouldn't worry about it. I just track my *added* sugar. (roughly in my head.) I was concerned about how much I was going over until I realized it was adding up every time I ate a tomato, red pepper etc. No reason to limit those foods. They are good for you!
  • Mama2HnC
    Options
    Totally agree!
    I think I'm going to take my sugar 'goal' off of my daily diary.... because I've not been eating processed foods, nor have I been eating sweets or any sort of 'bad' sugar.
  • fitbytwentyone
    Options
    I just took sugar off my daily tracking as well. I think my goal was 38(ish) and I've been eating more fruit lately so I was going over by a bit. I got tired of seeing red numbers and since it's not bad sugars, I just took it off. I need to start watching those carbs, though lol
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. If I am getting my sugar from a healthy source, I don't care. My Carbs track what is important to me and include sugar.

Ditto!! Sugar doesn't matter unless you're eating naughty things. Just watch your carbs, fat, protein and sodium with the calories- that's all you need :o) counting carbs AND sugar is redundant to me since your carbs will count all the sugars.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have calcium and fiber up there as those seem like more virtuous goals to me. I did have too many sweets this week but if you just looked at my sugar number it wouldn't be clear if it was from delicious smoothies or cotton candy so I don't think it's worth watching the number.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well this is nice to see! I go over sugar EVERY DAY, and I eat really well. My sugars come from vegetables, coconut coffee creamer, and one piece of fruit. Regardless of how healthy I eat, I'm always over. Glad it's nothing to freak out about!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    this frustrates me all the time. im about to boycott bananas and grapes after i saw how much sugar is in them. i had a cup of grapes the other day and it put me over in sugar and i still didnt eat dinner or have a snack. i was too thinking off taking it off of here but i do want to limit my sugar intake so i think im better off keeping it . so agravating
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Ditto!! Sugar doesn't matter unless you're eating naughty things. Just watch your carbs, fat, protein and sodium with the calories- that's all you need :o) counting carbs AND sugar is redundant to me since your carbs will count all the sugars.

I agree, that's how I roll on here :bigsmile:
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i also think mfp has it set low. its ironic how so many people are having trouble with it.
  • shaneNSW
    shaneNSW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree it is too low. Two apples and I'm over, seems ridiculous?
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, nobody got fat from eating spaghetti squash, blueberries and cottage cheese.
    So long as your eating a block of chocolate a day I think you'll be fine!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i acutally end up eating 60-70 grams of sugar a day (i use the mobile app during the workday and it tells me all of the totals for all the macros) and I'm still losing. Proof it doesn't need to be 30G OR ELSE!! :o) Just watch the carbs and it'll be good enough! Don't stress over it :o)

Aside from straying from mfp's sugar recommendations I actually go even farther and use this website: http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php and change all of my macros and calories to what it tells me I should have I feel like MFP's too low in everything- calories too. BUT.... doesn't mean I'm not super thankful for the website!!! :o)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't track it. There's nothing magical about the MFP recommendations. If you know you don't eat too much sugar, then ignore it.
  • FitAtFifteen
    Options
    For me, the only thing I'm really trying to do is increase protein.
    My sugar/carbs/fat/whatever doesn't really bother me. I usually eat whole grain/wheat all the time anyways.
    Unless it is sweet or something, but I usually anticipate that so I don't really care. x
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    Don't make cupcakes. I did that tonight and I assure you it's not the way to go :/
    LOL! :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I removed sugar from my tracking log .. Basically everything has some sugar in it and MFP doesn't divide the bad from the good sugars. Sooooo .... keep eating healthy and just focus on what matters ! I watch my calories, fat, protein, carbs ... and the 5th one I rotate depending on my week of planning. Cheers to blueberries ! :)