I don't like meat!

Options
I am constantly struggling to eat enough protien. I don't enjoy red meat at all, which is fine considering the health effects. I do like chicken and some fish (Tilapia and Salmon) but have no idea how to cook them. I need ideas for other foods/recipes that are high in protein. Help?

Replies

• hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Season the tilapia with lemmon pepper and cook it in a small amount of olive oil OR crust it with parmsean cheese and panko and bake it. It's soo good that way.

Chicken is endless. Put some in a crock pot with corn, canned tomatoes, black beans and salt and pepper. Serve it over rice.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tofu?
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat at all (vegan here) and get plenty of protein. Beans, lentils, quinoa, tofu, nut butters all have protein.
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^ these are great suggestions. Eggs, chicken, crab sticks, quorn too. You can start with easy recipes like salads.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Tilapia little bit of olive oil and some parmesan cheese and then I grill it.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat at all (vegan here) and get plenty of protein. Beans, lentils, quinoa, tofu, nut butters all have protein.

...same here.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    vegan here too and get a lot of protein. tofu and nut butters have a lot like stated.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Just had tilapia tonight my husband lightly brushes it with olive oil and rubs it with old bay seasoning. Bakes it at 375 for 8-12 min until flaky and serves it with brown rice and veggie of your choice it was terrific.
  • lookfierce
    Options
    I don't enjoy red meat at all, which is fine considering the health effects.

red meat is perfectly healthy thanks
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Red Meat is very healthy -___-
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian -- I don't eat red meat or poultry but I eat seafood. I get my protein from eggs, Greek yogurt, low fat cheese, and tempeh. Tempeh is found at health food stores and places like Whole Foods. I bake it on a cookie sheet and add it to salads. Starboard brand seafood meals are good! They're found in the grocery store where they sell frozen seafood. I like the Lemon Dill Salmon and the Miso Salmon with Udon Noodles.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not vegetarian or vegan or anything, I'm just not a big meat fan. Heh.
    Do you have a costco by you? They carry marinated frozen salmon fillets, those are great for days that I'm having a hard time getting protein. Honestly, I need to start pushing it again, because I haven't even come close to getting in enough protein. Milk, greek yogurt, and muscle milk are some that I try to fit in.
    I don't have any new suggestions, this is just a glorified "bump" so I can read the tilapia recipes later. I've only tried seasoning and cooking it myself once, and tried to treat it like chicken. Bad news. So yay, new recipes!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese :) I'm a pescaterian an get about 100g protein a day, my diary is open if you want to squiz
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-parmesan-crusted-tilapia-126660.aspx

This recipe is super yummy! My kids loved it. I use Swai instead of Tilapia (less calories) and have reduced the amount of Mayo to bring the calories down. Quick and delicious.
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    cookingquinoa.com
    Quinoa has tonssss of protein and its delicious!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Natural whey protein is always an option too, you can add it to smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt etc.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Season the tilapia with lemmon pepper and cook it in a small amount of olive oil OR crust it with parmsean cheese and panko and bake it. It's soo good that way.

Chicken is endless. Put some in a crock pot with corn, canned tomatoes, black beans and salt and pepper. Serve it over rice.
    [/quote

Yes.
  • amdpei12
    amdpei12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I discovered recently - loved it!

Quinoa and Black Beans
    Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

10 servings - Amount Per Serving Calories: 76 | Total Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I take it that saying "bake it" isn't going to suffice.
    I get the Wild Caught salmon fillets at Costco. Thaw them overnight in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 375*. Put skin side down onto a baking sheet that is protected with foil, parchment paper, reuseable parchment paper or oil the heck out of the bottom as the skin sticks. Season the fish with one of the following:
    dill weed
    lemon pepper
    old bay seasoning
    teriyaki sauce
    Bake for about 20 minutes, depending on how done you like your fish. Just open the oven and stick a fork in the thickest part of the fish. If it is still "shiny" it isn't cooked through. Some people like their salmon more rare than others. If you like it rare, just be sure it is HOT in the middle.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein shakes?