Training for a half marathon

Options
Hi! I am currently training for a half-marathon in May and had some questions about how much I should be eating. I weigh about 125 and i'm 5'2 and 22 years old. I am not trying to lose weight but I am definitely trying to tone up and become leaner. I am currently on the 1400 calories a day which works fine, but it says I am eating way too much protein. I am not sure if I should follow that calculator or I should keep eating protein because of my active lifestyle.

Also, this may not have any relevance, but I am also taking amp whey protein extreme 60 after my strenuous workouts. I am not sure if this is going to cause me to gain weight or not, specially because myfitnesspal says I am eating too much protein.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to "tone up" you have to lift weights.
  • nrjohnso
    Options
    I lift weights about 2 times a week. Nothing too intense though. I also do Brooke Burkes tone and tighten DVD at least twice a week. I am afraid to get bulky.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Opening up your food diary would make it easier to see just how much protein you're taking in.

I too found that MFP was telling me I was eating too much protein until I did some research on macronutrient percentages as a daily goal. I reset mine (you can do this if you want in goals under custom goals) to 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein (I forget what they were originally). Now I am usually close to if not under my protein goal.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I practically guarantee you are not eating too much protein.. and the perfect time to take the amp is after a strenuous workout. Eat the 1400, but eat back your exercise calories too, or you'll hinder your half marathon training and subsequently your performance. I trained for a half on about 1400 cals.. plus eating back my running calories, and I lost 45#. Try to make sure your carb intake is like 60% of your diet.
  • nrjohnso
    Options
    Thank you! Do you suggest I change my numbers to 50% 20% 30% or a different combination. I just want to be able to fuel my body for long runs but also maintain a healthy weight.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am training for a marathon and I make sure my carbs are at least 50% to help fuel my runs. It also depends on when you run. I run first thing in the morning and I try to eat more carbs later in the day for my morning runs. If you run later in the day, make sure you eat enough carbs to fuel your run. When I have my long runs, I will eat a banana and maybe something else depending on the length of the run.

50% is a good number for carbs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I lift weights about 2 times a week. Nothing too intense though. I also do Brooke Burkes tone and tighten DVD at least twice a week. I am afraid to get bulky.

MFPs suggestion for protein is on the very low side. You won't gain weight unless you are eating at a calorie surplus.

There is absolutely no need to worry about getting bulky. Women do not have the ability to bulk up like a man. It is very difficult for a woman to put on muscle without actively trying. I lift heavy, I lift often and I eat tons of protein, I have gotten anything but bulky.

Check out these links
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/female_athletes.htm
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That ratio is what works for me... I encourage you and everyone to do a little homework and find out what a good mix is for you. With the marathon training, you may need more carbs than I do.
  • nrjohnso
    Options
    great sites!! Thanks!!
  • George1567
    Options
    Pretty sure MFP uses 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. This is what the government "daily recomended allowance based on a 2000 calorie diet" percentages come from on a food nutrition label. I agree that you are probably not eating to much protein. As a male who is more into lifting than distance running I set my ratio to 40/30/30. On workout days this get me at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. With your distance training it would make sence that you could use more carbs, so the 50/30/20 sounds like solid advice.