MEN! even more reason to keep it up

Options
If you are a man under 45 and don't already have a risk factor for heart disease, keep exercising and eating right so you don't gain a risk factor. Apparently only 5% of men get to age 45 to 55 without a heart disease risk factor in America (!!!), but those that do make it to 45 without a risk factor have a 1.4% chance of having a heart attack or stroke by age 80 compared to 50/50 for guys with 2 risk factors. Good lord. Women, if you have two risk factors, you have a 30% chance of heart attack or stroke

Here's the risk factors: elevated blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes or smoking. I think its interesting that just plain obesity isn't on the list, though what's on the list is often (not always) associated with obesity.

If you do have risk factors, they say that if you can get them back under control with diet and exercise, you won't be quite as well off as the no-risk-factor group, but you can substantially improve your odds.

Here's a link to the story on the NPR website.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/25/145857358/start-early-to-curb-heart-risks-for-a-lifetime

This whole thing just makes me really really happy!

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Umm... Yeah. Not well thought out, very unfortunate title. And what you can't edit in the forums is the title. Yepppers. nice.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, men! Keep it up!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have heard more then 4 hours is dangerous.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    hummm thi is not what i expected. Lol
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    *dies laughing*:laugh:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Umm... Yeah. Not well thought out, very unfortunate title. And what you can't edit in the forums is the title. Yepppers. nice.
    riiiiiight...it was a total accident
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Keeping it up!

Thanks for the article, too.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Well that was disappointing you tease!
  • ugw125
    ugw125 Posts: 28
    Options
    Well that was disappointing you tease!

(^▽^)
    This made me laugh so hard^
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Technically, obesity is a risk factor as well as a family history of any of the above listed risk factors. Thats why it is so difficult to get to 45 without 2 of them. I have 2 and i'm 22.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have heard more then 4 hours is dangerous.

Whoever told you that is a damn liar.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    riiiiiight...it was a total accident

Mmhmmm.....
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Technically, obesity is a risk factor as well as a family history of any of the above listed risk factors. Thats why it is so difficult to get to 45 without 2 of them. I have 2 and i'm 22.

You are both right. The research the poster is discussing are the modifiable risk factors. You are talking about those that are non-modifiable (examples are genetics, age, gender).

Sources:
    myself (I'm a cardiac RN)
    The AHA (you can read about them in depth at www.heart.org)
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Aye aye sir!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i thought this was going to be a scientific reason why i should encourage my SO to keep pleasing me lol :laugh:
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I thought priapisms were bad. lol