time for honesty

Time to face the fact, although I may not fit into the exact definition I do believe I have a binge eating problem. I don't go up and down with the weigh but what I do is bad enough. I can do so good for most of the day and then all of the sudden I decide I want something to snack on and from that point well it is safe to say there goes my good day. I eat crap food almost until I want to get sick and then the guilt kicks in and then I have a pep talk and say that tomorrow is going to be different. Well guess what it's not. Right now my only saving grace is that I have found enough energy and time in my day to get to the gym and cycle. I hate myself for all of this but that doesn't seem to stop the awful eating habit. I really don't have a clue what will. I am looking for someone to tell me something I that maybe I haven't tried. Believe me when I go through the list of what I have tried it is almost ridiculous that I haven't stopped this nonsense. I have thrown out all the bad food, I pack my lunch with only healthy snacks like almonds, fruit, veggies, I try buying low fat dips or allowing myself just a little chocolate, I make deal after deal with me and none of that seems to make a difference. So tell me if you have some ideas.

Replies

• What I do is find a food I love that is coincidentally healthy. For me its actually broccoli. I LOVE brocolli. And I like binge on it. Like seriously consume bowls of bowls of brocolli, but since its not chocolate cake, it doesn't add the calories. There has to be some low calorie food that you love that will filll you up (examples: any other vegees, air popped popcorn w/o butter, most fruits, etc). That way I still "binge" on something when I feel the urge, but don't go over in calories. And occasionally I throw in something sweet to trick my body into thinking that is a "real binge". Now sure if its helpful for you. But works for me.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    My suggestion would be to get all the bad food out of your house but I saw that you did that. I don't have any big tips but my suggestion is to clean your teeth. I am talking brush, floss and mouthwash. Then after you do that keep yourself busy somehow like cleaning, exercising, take a shower or going for a walk. I hope that helps. Good luck!!
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    I am a binge eater. After eating an entire box of Entimenns Donuts in December (in about 10 minutes) I decided I needed to do something. It is a struggle. I want to eat. I have found that if I chew gum when I want to start binging, it helps.

Sara
  • tpomeroy727
    tpomeroy727 Posts: 11 Member
    You might try to log the times when you binge eat. Is it a certain time of the day, etc? That way, you can figure out if there's a pattern then work to change it. For example, if you get a hankerin' for a honey bun around 3:00 (like me!) then perhaps you can schedule to eat a healthy snack around that time, like an apple.

13665451.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    I started eating healthy on friday of last week and I was a huge binge eater at night! now when I feel bored or that I wanna eat my feelings I drink water till I cant drink no more! good luck.. so far ive lost 6lbs since friday ;)
  • GMReich7
    GMReich7 Posts: 18 Member
    Let me start by saying....You are NOT alone! i'm not going to be much help cuz i do the same things.....it's nothing for me to stop at a convience store on the way to work and buy snacks...eat them before getting to work...and snack some more. Awful i know...but you said honesty..... But we both have at least acknowledged it! That's a good thing, right? Now it is finding out how to control it.....have you tried journaling? What about being accountable to someone and check in with them on what you have eaten? Just take one moment at a time and remember what you want. Also try to remember we should eat to live and not live to eat.....good luck and remember....you CAN do it! And you are not alone in your struggle. That is what MFP is for....to get back on track and healthy one day at a time.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Yes, I plan for a monthly binge - 24 hours of pure food orgy.
    LOVE IT!

And then I have my weekly "free day" with one binge meal - usually a buffet or McDonald's.
    PURE JOY!

The hard part is turning it off.
    I just love eating.
  • This si a huge problem, trust me you're not alone! Brushing your teeth trick may work...worth a shot..do not let yourslef eat anything bad for you..untik you've gone for a walk..seriously...then when you get in have a big glass of water...mark on a calendar you did it...be proud..and the "urge" to eat that junk should disappear, I say should, because we're all different, you need to change the cycle you've created and introduce new habits..the gum chewing is really good..I do it when I make dinner, so I don't nibble..and it works.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    I keep telling myself that if I don't buy it, it will not be in the house and I will not eat it., Buy microwave popcorn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep your hands busy one piece at a time until the bowl is gone if needed but it will help give your brain time to catch up to your "guilt" and stomach
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Time to face the fact, although I may not fit into the exact definition I do believe I have a binge eating problem. I don't go up and down with the weigh but what I do is bad enough. I can do so good for most of the day and then all of the sudden I decide I want something to snack on and from that point well it is safe to say there goes my good day. I eat crap food almost until I want to get sick and then the guilt kicks in and then I have a pep talk and say that tomorrow is going to be different. Well guess what it's not. Right now my only saving grace is that I have found enough energy and time in my day to get to the gym and cycle. I hate myself for all of this but that doesn't seem to stop the awful eating habit. I really don't have a clue what will. I am looking for someone to tell me something I that maybe I haven't tried. Believe me when I go through the list of what I have tried it is almost ridiculous that I haven't stopped this nonsense. I have thrown out all the bad food, I pack my lunch with only healthy snacks like almonds, fruit, veggies, I try buying low fat dips or allowing myself just a little chocolate, I make deal after deal with me and none of that seems to make a difference. So tell me if you have some ideas.

Start at a new place. Start with exercising. Make goals like 15 minutes of cardio and slowly work your way up to 30 minutes or more. Add in weight training. Leave your diet alone while you do these things. As you progress through these goals start to make new ones like giving up chips. After that give up cookies (just examples, I don't know what you eat). From there start making calorie goals and track them on MFP :).

Just an idea. I don't know what will actually work for you but it's something you might try.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    For me, it is like quitting smoking was. I had to want to be a non-smoker MORE than I wanted that next cigarette. I tell myself constantly that I DO have the willpower to say no!!. That I am an incredibly strong woman and those addictions and urges are really my subconscious in control. So I consciously take control.

It is really hard, often a struggle of epic proportions. I had to quit drinking too, many years ago, because I couldn't stop that at healthy levels either.

So whenever you get the urge, try reminding yourself of another situation where you demonstrated inner strength and hold on to the knowledge that you did it then, and you can do it again.

Too bad I can't just quit food like I quit drinking and smoking. :sick: