How has YOUR grocery list changed?

Options

Replies

• laughingatchu630
    laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat processed food now. No red meat, no bread unless it 100% whole grain wheat, no pasta, no sweets other than fruit. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, eggs, tuna, turkey breast,and chicken breast. I used to eat meal helpers with beef almost every night with instant potatoes, and I used to snack on hot cheetos and reeses.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I compare sodium content and buy the one with less sodium instead of the cheapest one

Same.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    One big change is the increase in money I'm spending at the grocery store! But...I have to admit I'm probably saving double that by not going out to eat as much (or buying fast food)!

I have to agree with this. This is really hard, especially since my house is on a very tight budget. We HAVE had to sacrifice a lot (whether it's fatter ground beef instead of the leaner, roma tomatoes instead of the beefsteak ones, etc).... and a couple of times, we've had ramen noodles for dinner because it's really hard to stay in budget (of usually less than $100 a week at the grocery for 3 people AND eat cleaner). I've gotten to the point where right now, even though money is hard, I find I'm really sticking to the portion control, and I'm losing inches (not so much weight-wise), but I'm still eating some of the no-so-healthy things.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't even go down the pop and chip aisle! (I actually find that not spending money on that helps pay for the fruit and veg)
    Lots more veg, more fruit
    Hubby is watching his intake too.. meat costs down considerably..
    Don't buy as much sandwich 'meat'...usually eat a small leftover portion of supper or a lean cuisine for lunch instead
    Cheese now lasts a LOOOOONG time.. that saves money too
    We have a bag of chips in the cupboard...opened at Christmas.. there's still some chips in the bag! We are keeping them to see how long before we throw them out - but here's our thinking:
    Me: "Honey, should we get some chips?"
    Hubby" "Nah, there's still some in the cupboard if we want some"
    So far, it's working..lol..it's all mental, right?
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone eats as many eggs as I do! I buy an 18 pack about every 1.5 - 2 weeks just for myself as opposed to hardly ever eating them.
    Kashi cereal instead of Cap'n Crunch :sad:
    No more macaroni and cheese.
    No more snacks WHILE grocery shopping.
    Rarely buy cheese.
    Lots more fruits and veggies (whereas they were few and far between before)
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    diet twist up instead of pepsi (i used to drink 5 pepsi's a day which is an extra 750 cals lol no wonder i got fat)
    aside from that nothing dif. just it lasts me alot longer cause i dont eat as much of it lol
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Mine hasn't changed much at all-- I've always had a healthy diet. Just less wine, and less butter/flour/sugar because I don't bake much anymore.
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've personally found that my list has gotten a bit more expensive.

I've swapped:
    -regular yogurt for Greek yogurt.

Added:
    -more veggies (frozen and fresh)
    -more fruits (frozen and fresh)
    -oatmeal
    -protein powder

definately more expensive, but better food, it even tastes better lol
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm buying two of everything-- normal whole wheat bread and my 45 calorie per slice whole wheat, reduced fat or Weight Watchers string cheese, Kashi for me and Oatmeal Squares or Honey Bunches of Oats, egg whites for me, eggs, meat replacement stuff and actual meat...

I do still think it is worth it, it just takes a lot of careful planning, coupon cutting, and price shopping.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    20 Smart Ones meals instead of a bunch of junk food. Yeah, I know, sodium snobs. It's working for me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think I platonicly love you:blushing:
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    BEFORE
    =======
    Pizza Rolls, case of 120
    Hamburger Helper
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Hamburger meat
    Chicken Cordon Bleu
    Oven bake french fries
    Stouffers lasagna
    3 cases of soda, 24 ct.
    Heavy cream for homemade alfredo sauce (heart-stopper recipe)
    Marie Callenders TV Dinners
    Bacon
    Pancakes
    Syrup
    Hot Pockets
    Canned veggies that never get touched
    Summer Sausage
    Cocktail sausages
    Varieties of cheese such as Brie, Camembert, Port Salut, etc.
    Ravioli
    Mama Ramen

AFTER
    ======
    Almond Butter
    Whole Wheat Grain bread
    2% Milk
    Greek yogurt
    Progresso soup
    Healthy Choice TV Dinners
    Tea
    Kashi granola cereal
    Bear River Valley organic cereal
    Roast Beef deli meat
    2% Kraft singles
    Mama ramen (I LOVE THIS RAMEN I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT ANYONE THINKS HAHAHAHAHA)

Consequently, this new shopping list leaves me more money for video games! n_n
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't pick up an item without reading the nutrition label. It takes me forever to go shopping. I agree, it's more expensive too.
    There are certain items I just CAN'T buy because I lose self control. I have to recognize that and live by that rule.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if you can go to farmers markets or the like, you can usually get cheaper/fresher/better veggies than the imported veggies at the super market. and you get to meet your LOCAL farmer !!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    20 Smart Ones meals instead of a bunch of junk food. Yeah, I know, sodium snobs. It's working for me.
    \

I hope you were able to get the $3.00 off for buying 20................lol!
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've personally found that my list has gotten a bit more expensive.

I've swapped:
    -regular yogurt for Greek yogurt.

Added:
    -more veggies (frozen and fresh)
    -more fruits (frozen and fresh)
    -oatmeal
    -protein powder

Same for me. I'm also noticing myself going less and less down the aisles...reducing the amount of processed foods. I read labels a lot more closely than I did before. Its a great thing!!
  • ViolaEverAfter
    ViolaEverAfter Posts: 36 Member
    Options

me too!! I love the coupons on the box!
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    No more sodas! That is huge for our family. Now it's bottled water.
    No more regular milk, only Unsweetened Almond Milk
    Raw nuts and seeds instead of potato chips and other processed junk foods
    no more cookies
    Now it's xylitol or stevia instead of sugar
    Greek Yogurt now replaces the regular yogurt
    lots and lots of veggies (fresh or frozen, no cans)
    lots of dried beans
    no more red meat from the grocery store. I buy grass-fed beef from a local farmer.
    no more eggs from the grocery store. I buy free-range eggs from a friend.
    no more vegetable oils. The only 3 oils I use now are extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, and organic butter.
    I have learned to eat avocados.
  • BackToPreBaby
    Options
    Omg soso much. Years ago i was in the drive through instead of the grocery store!
    Now costco memberships are a must yearly!

I never get chips, i always get carrots and tatziki
    Chicken instead of nuggets
    And my favorite
    Greek yogurt instead of ice cream (My son calls it ice cream though!)
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options

^^^ Me, too! Smart Ones, Eating Right, Lean Cuisine -- whatever is on sale. :D
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I buy all organic from a health food co-op and the local farmer's market instead of going to big chain grocery stores. My cart is full of fresh fruits and veggies and the closest thing to "junk food" I buy is dried mango. (We used to buy nonorganic meats and Hamburger Helper 2 years ago....ack!) My grocery bill has spiked dramatically but I don't eat out anymore so it all balances itself out.